immigration charging for tm30?

today myself and my Thai girlfriend went to Buriram immigration to notify them that I was now living in her home.the officer told her that the fee for this service is 500 baht and that she was lucky that he didn't fine her for registering late.(we arrived in Thailand at 6pm on Saturday from Malaysia and stayed in Bkk hotel 1 night) at the time we were at immigration I had been living in her house for approximately 15 hrs.when I explained this to him he only replied " Mai pen rai"

my girlfriend answered all of his questions such as when and where did you meet him? What work does he do and how much money does he have? Salary etc

I was under the impression that Thai people registering an alien in their home was free.obviously not.

has anyone else had the same experience?

• Like 1

I've been in LOS since mid April 2016 staying in a rented apartment, never filed ( or had filed for me) a tm 30.
After returning from a trip outside Thailand mid December I decided that I should maybe bite the bullet and get the tm30 and receipt stapled in my passport. Got relevant docs together and appeared Pathum Thani immigration 19th Jan expecting a 1600 baht fine.
Must have caught them on a good day because no fine and no charge either !!

So, it seems a real hit and miss affair !!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

Regarding the amount for filing a TM.30 late, there is no offical amount that tells 300, 800 or 1600 Bath. There is on the other hand a rule that states 200 per day upp to a maximum 2000 Bath fine.

As always this is different depending on which immigration office it regards, due to that nobody work same or no all the different things. I have also heard that it could be a jail sentence for the landlord, but never heard of that one being used. 

6 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration has a sign posted stating a fine not exceeding 5,000 baht plus 200 baht per day after it was due.

That is for not reporting a change of address under section 37.

The TM30 reporting is under section 38 of the immigration act and for an individual the max fine is 2000 baht for a business it is 2000 to a max of 10,000 baht fine.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not
exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht
to 10,000 Baht

• Like 1

no receipt was given.

I also got a certificate of residence (for a thai drivers licence)at the same time which was also 500 baht.But I don't have a problem with that as the same paper from my embassy would have cost a lot more

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The TM30 reporting is under section 38 of the immigration act and for an individual the max fine is 2000 baht for a business it is 2000 to a max of 10,000 baht fine.

Either way if you read the red part of the notice be it under section 37 or section 38 Chon Buri Immigration are fining for failing to report to immigration EVERY TIME you arrive within 24 hrs. Myself and hundreds of others have had the fine of 4000 THB to prove it.

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Either way if you read the red part of the notice be it under section 37 or section 38 Chon Buri Immigration are fining for failing to report to immigration EVERY TIME you arrive within 24 hrs. Myself and hundreds of others have had the fine of 4000 THB to prove it.

Myself and hundreds of others have

Hundreds - really? Can I ask how you know this as not something I have heard from any of my friends who travel in out and go to Jomtien for 90 day reports.

Also if UJ is correct then they have been charging double what it should be and I would have thought this would have been picked up but seems not.

Did you get a receipt? :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Myself and hundreds of others have had the fine of 4000 THB to prove it.

Maybe we need another survey.

From my (admittedly poor) memory, I do not remember reading a post from anybody except you who had been hit with the maximum 4,000 Baht for not filing a TM 30.

If this law was complied with to the fullest extent, on my various trips around Thailand I would have been trying to file a TM30 every two days or so.

15 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Maybe we need another survey.

From my (admittedly poor) memory, I do not remember reading a post from anybody except you who had been hit with the maximum 4,000 Baht for not filing a TM 30.

If this law was complied with to the fullest extent, on my various trips around Thailand I would have been trying to file a TM30 every two days or so.

Do you think everybody in Chonburi posts on here? It's not a 4000bht maximum fine. It's a 2000bht fine for each offence. Trust me, they will get you eventually. They pull up your whole history of entry and exits going back years and your history of reporting or of being reported and physically show you it on the screen. I could of been fined a lot more. They chose to just fine me for the 2 later entry's. They want a report on each and every arrival within 24 hours.
Down to the individual if they choose to do it or not but I now do. They won't be fining me again.

49 minutes ago, topt said:

Hundreds - really? Can I ask how you know this as not something I have heard from any of my friends who travel in out and go to Jomtien for 90 day reports.

Also if UJ is correct then they have been charging double what it should be and I would have thought this would have been picked up but seems not.

I've also been told by immigration that if I go somewhere, even if its just over night, the house owner needs to report my departure from my place of residence and my arrival back! However I have to report to Samut Prakan immigration and they love to fine you for anything and some of them are really aggressive for some reason. 

1 hour ago, topt said:

Just you wait until they apply for there extension of stay. And as I said, it's not just 2000bht....It's 2000bht for EACH time you enter and fail to comply.

2 hours ago, topt said:

They are fines,not a fee for reporting in 15 hours.This is a 1st.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct - the sign does relate to the reporting of a change in address (TM.28) .

The person who sent it to me was shown that sign by the Immigration Officer when they were told they needed to report their address within 24 hours -- when they later sent, at my request, a copy of their receipt for the report, it was a TM.30 they had filed  - they owned their condo through a Thai company and were in process of applying for a Non-Immigrant "O" since they entered on Visa Exempt and will be obtaining a one year retirement extension after they receive the "O" visa.   In the person's case, as MD of the Company Ltd, they were told they were late (about 3 or 4 days) in filing the report, but they were not fined.

Edited by soisanuk

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Correct - the sign does relate to the reporting of a change in address (TM.28) .

The person who sent it to me was shown that sign by the Immigration Officer when they were told they needed to report their address within 24 hours -- when they later sent me, at my request, their receipt for the report, it was a TM.30 - they owned their condo through a Thai company and were in process of applying for a Non-Immigrant "O" since they entered on Visa Exempt and will be obtaining a one year retirement extension after they receive the "O" visa.   In the person's case, as MD of the Company Ltd, they were told they were late (about 3 or 4 days) in filing the report, but they were not fined.

The Immigration Offices are doing their best but they have modified the Immigration Act. Implementation of The Act is delegated to the Ministry who delegate to Offices. As we have already seen Section 37 is the responsibility of the alien to stay where he has reported that he will stay or if not there, report within 24 hours of moving. The max fine is 5000Bt written into the Act. Section 38 is what the "house master" must do , report an aliens presence within 24 hours. The max fine for not doing that is 2000 Bt. also written into the Act. This is perfectly consistent with dual pricing where aliens pay more than Thais.
Implementation of the Act has entailed producing TM forms 28 and 30 respectively. The fact that aliens can be householders was not envisioned but since it is a fact, Immigration seems to have taken responsibility to merge Alien and house-master roles and applied the dual pricing rule to it. It is a creative way of clawing back some of the rent a condo owner is not paying.

Chonburi - about 2 wks ago for a 30-day extension.  The TM-30 in my passport from months before was fine, as I had not moved, even though I had left the country and returned on a new Tourist Visa.  The address on the latest TM6 (arrival/departure card), which I filed on entry, matches my TM-30 Address.  No fines, no problems.

7 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

If you move - yes, inform them immediately.  But leaving/returning from abroad to the same address where you already have a TM-30 filed??  Was this the case in your situation?  Or was this your first TM-30 at that address?

• Like 2

Clarification needed please.

I am on a yearly extension , I have a re entry permit , my TM 30 receipt is stapled into my passport . So when I leave Thailand for a week then return , I will fill the TM6 card in on arrival with the address I will be staying at .

Do I still need to return to my immi. officec with-in 24hrs to tell them where I will be staying ?

28 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Chonburi - about 2 wks ago for a 30-day extension.  The TM-30 in my passport from months before was fine, as I had not moved, even though I had left the country and returned on a new Tourist Visa.  The address on the latest TM6 (arrival/departure card), which I filed on entry, matches my TM-30 Address.  No fines, no problems.

If you move - yes, inform them immediately.  But leaving/returning from abroad to the same address where you already have a TM-30 filed??  Was this the case in your situation?  Or was this your first TM-30 at that address?

This was the first TM30 I have ever lodged.The problem arose when they looked at my passport showing lots and lots of in and outs in the country. They then pulled up my whole history for the last 5 years of entry and exits on there computer screen and was fair by showing me the last time a TM30 was lodged was 3 years ago by a hotel in Hua Hin which was around the time this old rule was enforced. Now bare in mind, since 3 years ago, I have stayed in dozens of hotels and particularly big hotels in Bangkok, Hilton, Landmark, Fraser suites etc etc and not one of them had reported me. We then proceeded to have a discussion for 30 minutes after they said I would need to pay a 4000bht fine to clear it up. I said I don't see why I should pay when a hotel fails to report me.There answer to that is that they were fining me for the last 2 entries I failed to report myself arriving at my own condo BUT even when staying in a hotel, you need to make sure the hotel reports you or report yourself. I carried on the protest of it being unfair of them to resurrect an old law after all these years and expecting everyone to know about it. Now obviously I know about this rule from when it first came in but it wasn't enforced and I also knew I wasn't going to win the case but that wasn't the point. She then asked me would I like to see further back than the 5 years she had already pulled up and if there was no TM30 lodged in that period, she would increase the fine? I said no, 4000bht seems perfectly fair which actually had the whole office laughing! I only went to lodge this TM30 because of now living here full time rather than constantly being in and out and between the UK and US, as I knew they were making issues over it. I then asked her how they actually want this played in order I don't get fined again. There answer was simple, each and every time away from the province for than 24hrs, you need to report again when I am back. Each and every time I  leave and enter the country, I  need to report again. Since that fine in November I have been in and out of the country 3 times and 3 times I have reported again and each time I have asked them, Is this really necessary coming back to the exact same address and wasting mine and there time and each time the answer is Yes, or get fined again.
The only saving grace is you don't need to fill in a new TM30 form every time. Just your original tear off slip, TM6 card and passport.They enter you on the system and issue you a receipt. That's it. Nothing on the original tear off slip. Just keep the slip, receipt and TM6 card.
I haven't yet had a need to report back of just being out of the province and returning.
You have been lucky so far in not reporting again. If you want to confirm what I am telling you, then ask upstairs in the office where the TM30 police team are. No good asking downstairs as I believe they have no idea looking at some of the reports on here.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Clarification needed please.

I am on a yearly extension , I have a re entry permit , my TM 30 receipt is stapled into my passport . So when I leave Thailand for a week then return , I will fill the TM6 card in on arrival with the address I will be staying at .

Do I still need to return to my immi. officec with-in 24hrs to tell them where I will be staying ?

They depends upon the immigration office that you go to. Some don't want one unless you change addresses.

This was the first TM30 I have ever lodged.The problem arose when they looked at my passport showing lots and lots of in and outs in the country. They then pulled up my whole history for the last 5 years of entry and exits on there computer screen and was fair by showing me the last time a TM30 was lodged was 3 years ago by a hotel in Hua Hin which was around the time this old rule was enforced. Now bare in mind, since 3 years ago, I have stayed in dozens of hotels and particularly big hotels in Bangkok, Hilton, Landmark, Fraser suites etc etc and not one of them had reported me. We then proceeded to have a discussion for 30 minutes after they said I would need to pay a 4000bht fine to clear it up. I said I don't see why I should pay when a hotel fails to report me.There answer to that is that they were fining me for the last 2 entries I failed to report myself arriving at my own condo BUT even when staying in a hotel, you need to make sure the hotel reports you or report yourself. I carried on the protest of it being unfair of them to resurrect an old law after all these years and expecting everyone to know about it. Now obviously I know about this rule from when it first came in but it wasn't enforced and I also knew I wasn't going to win the case but that wasn't the point. She then asked me would I like to see further back than the 5 years she had already pulled up and if there was no TM30 lodged in that period, she would increase the fine? I said no, 4000bht seems perfectly fair which actually had the whole office laughing! I only went to lodge this TM30 because of now living here full time rather than constantly being in and out and between the UK and US, as I knew they were making issues over it. I then asked her how they actually want this played in order I don't get fined again. There answer was simple, each and every time away from the province for than 24hrs, you need to report again when I am back. Each and every time I  leave and enter the country, I  need to report again. Since that fine in November I have been in and out of the country 3 times and 3 times I have reported again and each time I have asked them, Is this really necessary coming back to the exact same address and wasting mine and there time and each time the answer is Yes, or get fined again.
The only saving grace is you don't need to fill in a new TM30 form every time. Just your original tear off slip, TM6 card and passport.They enter you on the system and issue you a receipt. That's it. Nothing on the original tear off slip. Just keep the slip, receipt and TM6 card.
I haven't yet had a need to report back of just being out of the province and returning.
You have been lucky so far in not reporting again. If you want to confirm what I am telling you, then ask upstairs in the office where the TM30 police team are. No good asking downstairs as I believe they have no idea looking at some of the reports on here.

Can I ask which immigration you use ?

Seems like the most highly populated ( with farang ) areas, Bangkok, CM, Pattaya etc are being more picky !
The more remote immigrations are less well informed, or maybe are more well informed !

Who knows !!
I certainly don't [emoji20]

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Can I ask which immigration you use ?

Seems like the most highly populated ( with farang ) areas, Bangkok, CM, Pattaya etc are being more picky !
The more remote immigrations are less well informed, or maybe are more well informed !

Who knows !!
I certainly don't emoji20.png

Jomtien immigration. From what I read a lot of immigration offices now want them. How many are fining or what them done on every entry I have no idea but it appears Chang Mai are pretty hot too. I have friends in Ubon and they want them on each entry from what I am told.