Anti-alcohol activists urge stricter state control of bar businesses on Valentine’s Day

webfact

Anti-alcohol activists urge stricter state control of bar businesses on Valentine’s Day

BANGKOK, 7th February 2017 (NNT) – Anti-alcohol activists are urging authorities to enforce laws on retail establishments serving alcoholic beverages on Valentine's Day. 

More than 30 members of the Youth Network Against New Drinkers, presented a letter on Monday to Bangkok Governor Pol Gen Asawin Kwanmuang.

They asked for additional measures to suppress the consumption of alcohol by minors, particularly on Valentine's Day, claiming that such behavior can lead to sexual abuse.

The group has urged police officers to actively inspect bars, pubs and other establishments with promotional activities geared towards encouraging underage drinking. 

The activists are also pushing for the establishment of a new committee to draft regulations on alcohol selling businesses to keep children and youths away from alcohol, as well as the creation of a community surveillance network. 

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has assigned City Hall officials to monitor the sale of alcohol near educational institutions, as well as to any drinkers below the legal age of 20.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-02-07

6 minutes ago, taff33 said:

I would think that showing an I D card would tell the age of underage drinkers,all the sellers have to do is ask for it.No ID no alcohol.

You're not allowed to use common sense in the LOO (Land Of Oz).

3 hours ago, webfact said:

They asked for additional measures to suppress the consumption of alcohol by minors, particularly on Valentine's Day, claiming that such behavior can lead to sexual abuse.

I totally agree with this.

Action should not only be taken against owners & staff that sell to under aged kids not in possession of an ID card, but action should also be taken against said kids, their parents or guardians as they know what they are doing is against the law. No more of this B S stating that they are minors and not responsible.

If the government wants to make a difference based on the grievances of these organizations, then they should stop pussy-footing about and stamp their authority on the issue.

I am really not the one who force for more drinking and it's defenetly not good youth thais are drinking too much.

But these anti alcohol activists must be beaten from stupidness to enforce the idea to control just on Valentines day consumption of alcohol in bars for defend more abuses going on in this country.....

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

I so wish, that these morons would turn on their respective brains, before opening their stupid clap- traps!

Not sure where you are coming from here- many Thai youngsters take the whole concept of Valentine's Day seriously . It's a bit like a rite of passage.

Would you agree that the open sale of alcohol to young people is a good thing? 

Some restrictions might be a good thing. Might result in a few less unwanted pregnancies .

...and would YOU agree, that there are laws already, that would prevent youngsters from getting alcohol, only no one gives 2 hot 5h1ts to enforce them?

...and would YOU agree, that these laws should not only be enforced on Valentines Day (Songkhran etc.) but all year round, but these morons only come up with bans and crackdowns, whenever it is kind of "interesting" in the public eye?! 

7 hours ago, taff33 said:

I would think that showing an I D card would tell the age of underage drinkers,all the sellers have to do is ask for it.No ID no alcohol.

There you go raining on the governments parade again. Shame on you. Let them rant and form commissions. Its what they do best. 

I call on thy over-so-powerful Mr PM to invoke 44 NOW and act before it is too late....

- Ban alcohol all together

- Ban Valentine Day

- Ban sex too while you are at it.. But please first of all

- Ban the  Youth Network Against New Drinkers.... or buy them a drink 555

Valentines day is a western holiday so why the big fuss? Oh, I get it now. If you protest that alcohol shouldn't be sold on valentines day your a true patriot of Thailand. Thai's are being misled by western tradditions. Date rape using alcohol on valentines day is a western disease eating away at the vunerable Thai youth.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

On 07/02/2017 at 7:17 AM, chrisinth said:

I totally agree with this.

Action should not only be taken against owners & staff that sell to under aged kids not in possession of an ID card, but action should also be taken against said kids, their parents or guardians as they know what they are doing is against the law. No more of this B S stating that they are minors and not responsible.

If the government wants to make a difference based on the grievances of these organizations, then they should stop pussy-footing about and stamp their authority on the issue.

Leave the kids (young adults) alone.  Stop this puritanical, bullying, anti fun, intolerance.  In most of Europe kids learn to drink responsibly before they are in their teens.  Who are the English Speaking anti alcohol crowd on this forum who want to spoil valentine's day. Where are they from? 

12 hours ago, The manic said:

Leave the kids (young adults) alone.  Stop this puritanical, bullying, anti fun, intolerance.  In most of Europe kids learn to drink responsibly before they are in their teens.  Who are the English Speaking anti alcohol crowd on this forum who want to spoil valentine's day. Where are they from? 

Can't be Australia.... we don't learn to drink responsibly till we're drunk.... thirsty work being Australian.

Edited by farcanell