Get the name of my wife’s kids changed to her married surname.

Jorgendk

Is there any one that can advise me, how we can get the surname of my wife’s kids changed to her married surname?

I am a Danish citizen, living in Thailand, and have been married to a Thai girl just over a year.

My wife has not been married before, but has two girls from a former relationship.

The girls are aged 10 and 13, and both have their father’s surname. My wife has sole custody over the girls.

We got married in Thailand, and my wife was then given my surname.

Her new name is on the marry certificate, in her house book, on her Id-card, and on her passport.

Both my wife and the girls ( and me ) want the surname of the girls to get changed to their mothers new surname.

We all 4 went to the ampor, and expected it to be fairly easy to get their names changed, but the ampor would not do that.

They told my wife that there would be no problem for her to change the names of the girls to her old family name, but that she could not change it to her new name.

They told my wife, that they could not change the names to her new name, as that name was not her name, but a name given to her by me, and the only way for them to get my name, is for me to adopt them.

I hope someone can suggest a way round this.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I was in the same position as you in wanting my wife's kids to have my surname. I am Irish and my wife has 1 boy and 2 girls.

I also was told that I would need to adopt. I started that process well over 3 years ago and finally next week we are to go to Bangkok to officially sign the papers. If there are any specific questions you want me to answer I will be glad to help.

I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. I was under the impression that there were no fees for what I was trying to do but just last week they intimated that there will be administration fees to pay. I have yet to receive clarification as to how much so I was wondering if anyone in this forum has any idea what they will be.

Thanks

Liam

Thank you Liam. I will take you up on that.

It will however be some time yet, as I understand that I have to reside in Thailand for 12 month, before I can apply.

You write that it has taken you 3 years.. Is there any way it can be done in shorter time ??