Officer denied free pumpkins from truck, takes 100 baht cash instead

snoop1130

This is the root of corruption in Thailand. Unless and until the Government can reign in this problem of police taking money from you 

then the corruption will be viewed as something anyone can do with impunity here in Thailand

Any other way of thinking about this is just plain wrong 

18 hours ago, Thian said:

About a year ago the General made a crackdown about policecorruption. Anyone who paid them bribemoney would get punished hard but also the policemen demanding a bribe would get severe punisment.

Let's wait for the reaction of mr Prayuth on this.

Those checkpoints were outlawed sometime last summer and I didn't see them for about 3 months....but they are back now with a vengeance.

With all the chatter about the alleged dishonesty of said Plod, posters seem to miss the irony of the Thai word for pumpkin ( at least according to my wife) which sounds like the first syllable of the name of the holiday island containing patong, kata and Kampala and which was famously  hit by a tsunami a few years ago......

for those that still have not got it, sounds like the noise hens make.

still no nearer? Sounds like the word describing the action when using a straw or what you might get when visiting certain seedy night clubs.

still? 

Oh oh I give in........

Edited by The Dark Lord

28 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

With all the chatter about the alleged dishonesty of said Plod, posters seem to miss the irony of the Thai word for pumpkin ( at least according to my wife) which sounds like the first syllable of the name of the holiday island containing patong, kata and Kampala and which was famously  hit by a tsunami a few years ago......

still no nearer? Sounds like the word describing the action when using a straw or what you might get when visiting certain seedy night clubs.

still? 

Oh oh I give in........

You need to, the sound for the start is f not ph

I'd just like to clarify something. Every time there is a thread topic about the Royal Thai Police Force the majority of posters share negative view points. Is this for a reason? I guess all over the world the police are loathed. I wasn't pretty keen on them back in my home country. But over here. Well, I've had no problems from them.

Is it politics then that divides peoples opinion? Thaksin was a policeman and over the years his influence over the police has tarnished their image. Now the power is with the army. So slagging off the police is a Junta hugging sport. If you stick up for the police your a red shirted trouble maker.

Just a thought as I browse the threads each day. Lots of other countries around the world have similar situations. For example Turkey. The police is owned by the exiled muslim leader and the government owns the army.

2 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

still? 

Oh oh I give in........

Nobody misses anything; why do you think he was given that name ''The Big Pumpkin'' ?

29 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

I'd just like to clarify something. Every time there is a thread topic about the Royal Thai Police Force the majority of posters share negative view points. Is this for a reason? I guess all over the world the police are loathed. I wasn't pretty keen on them back in my home country. But over here. Well, I've had no problems from them.

Is it politics then that divides peoples opinion? Thaksin was a policeman and over the years his influence over the police has tarnished their image. Now the power is with the army. So slagging off the police is a Junta hugging sport. If you stick up for the police your a red shirted trouble maker.

Just a thought as I browse the threads each day. Lots of other countries around the world have similar situations. For example Turkey. The police is owned by the exiled muslim leader and the government owns the army.

We all give opinions based on our own experiences I guess.  In my wife's family there are three police officers (shortly there will be four) of different ranks and ages.  I have seen the system working on different levels and in my experience it is as corrupt at it comes.  "Allegedly" my brother-in-law  recently bought himself promotion to the rank of major.  He financed this mainly from his second pay-packet that comes from the numerous bribes and payoffs.  I could go on but surely that is enough to justify my stance.

It was reported in yesterday's Matichon online that the officer concerned, a Police Senior Sergeant Major, has been identified and called in for questioning by Police Major General Somchai Kaosamran, commander of the Thai Highhway police. The car had yet to be identified.
Kaosamran said the behaviour was totally inappropriate and may lead to the general public getting the wrong impression.
A later item on Sanook News today reported that the officer concerned had been transferred pending an investigation and the 2 drivers had been identified. The drivers said they had been regularly stopped for fines by the police and it was this which prompted them to film the incident.
They continued that on the day of the incident, the vehicle was roadworthy and not overloaded.
They also reported they had also been questioned by the police because apparently their behaviour fell within the scope of bribing a public official.

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Nobody misses anything; why do you think he was given that name ''The Big Pumpkin'' ?

Sorry I missed that when reading the summation on P1

i will write out 100 times; 

There is nothing more distressing to a well educated mind than the sight of a TVF poster who should know better trying to be facetious or humourous and disporting himself in an improper manner at an in proper moment.

:sad:

Edited by The Dark Lord
Inspiration

On 2017/2/7 at 9:36 AM, djayz said:

How much longer will people put up with this? 

When you give guns to people with low IQ, don't pay them well, this is the result. They help themselves.

It's too late now, even if you try to change things round by paying them a good salary they will still do it because they are so used to it  (that is collecting money) they don't see no harm.

1 hour ago, madusa said:

When you give guns to people with low IQ, don't pay them well, this is the result. They help themselves.

It's too late now, even if you try to change things round by paying them a good salary they will still do it because they are so used to it  (that is collecting money) they don't see no harm.

You say "it's too late now". I strongly disagree with you. 

Anti-corruption campaignsEdit

In the 1970s, corruption was a way of life in Hong Kong, being the norm in all government departments. Policemen would often extract bribes (popularly called "tea fee") before they investigated a crime, as did firemen before they rescued people and put out fires. Many Chinese detective superintendents amassed incredible wealth from their corrupt dealings with triads and corporations. Their names have been seared into the memories of the older generations, their stories adapted into several popular movies such as To be Number One (跛豪) in 1991. That is not to say British officers were entirely clean in their dealings.

In 1974, Hong Kong Governor Murray MacLehose, realising the seriousness of the problem, founded the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC). The investigations and arrests of many police officers created a furore among the police, who protested against the ICAC and even tried to overrun the headquarters in one protest.

The Governor, concerned to avoid a possible police strike or even rebellion, at last issued a pardon, preventing arrests in cases committed before 1977. However, the pardon did not extend to higher-level detective superintendents. These high-level Chinese officers, famous for their riches, left for exile to Taiwan, which had no extradition treaty with Hong Kong. In time, the efforts of the ICAC changed the habits of an entire population and turned Hong Kong into one of the least corrupt cities in the world.

Taken frow Wikipedia.org

All it takes is ONE high ranking official with a LONG TERM vision /goal for the area he/she "serves". 

If Hong Kong could rid itself of most of the corruption, then so can Thiland. It only takes one person to stand up and say "enough's enough".

They need a leader with vision and an Independent Commission Against Corruption. 

Edited by djayz

I must have been lucky then. In 10 years and over 200k km of driving only once has a BIB extorted money from me. The other 20 times I was committing a road traffic offence (speeding, no helmet, etc). Shame on me not them, on balance[emoji5]

6 hours ago, djayz said:

In the 1970s, corruption was a way of life in Hong Kong, being the norm in all government departments. Policemen would often extract bribes (popularly called "tea fee") before they investigated a crime, as did firemen before they rescued people and put out fires. Many Chinese detective superintendents amassed incredible wealth from their corrupt dealings with triads and corporations. Their names have been seared into the memories of the older generations, their stories adapted into several popular movies such as To be Number One (跛豪) in 1991. That is not to say British officers were entirely clean in their dealings.

In 1974, Hong Kong Governor Murray MacLehose, realising the seriousness of the problem, founded the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC). The investigations and arrests of many police officers created a furore among the police, who protested against the ICAC and even tried to overrun the headquarters in one protest.

The Governor, concerned to avoid a possible police strike or even rebellion, at last issued a pardon, preventing arrests in cases committed before 1977. However, the pardon did not extend to higher-level detective superintendents. These high-level Chinese officers, famous for their riches, left for exile to Taiwan, which had no extradition treaty with Hong Kong. In time, the efforts of the ICAC changed the habits of an entire population and turned Hong Kong into one of the least corrupt cities in the world.

Taken frow Wikipedia.org

All it takes is ONE high ranking official with a LONG TERM vision /goal for the area he/she "serves". 

If Hong Kong could rid itself of most of the corruption, then so can Thiland. It only takes one person to stand up and say "enough's enough".

They need a leader with vision and an Independent Commission Against Corruption. 

If only. 

13 hours ago, djayz said:

Taken frow Wikipedia.org

First you have to find ONE high ranking official who isn't in on the action.

Most officials here have only the vision of big house, new car, healthy bank account.

Whilst I agree with your comment and sentiment on cleaning up corruption, I will not be holding my breath.

corruption benefits the higher income people the most.  Being well connected is the name of the game. Why would these people want it to change?

I have always thought fines in USA for things like speeding tickets should be a % of net wealth.. a 200$ speeding ticket is like 2$ for a rich person and maybe 3 days net pay for others.   There is a point system so you can lose your licence if you lose to many points but a lawyer and money can get those points dropped.

Reminds me of an event I witnessed about a year ago when coming back from Kroh Kong to Traat in a minivan. The ute load of durian in front of us was blatantly  relieved of 3 durian, (one to each cop), at a traffic check point along the way even though there were more than a dozen witnesses in the mini van I was in!!

26 minutes ago, Ponlamai said:

Reminds me of an event I witnessed about a year ago when coming back from Kroh Kong to Traat in a minivan. The ute load of durian in front of us was blatantly  relieved of 3 durian, (one to each cop), at a traffic check point along the way even though there were more than a dozen witnesses in the mini van I was in!!

Is it at all possible that the durian truck driver, felt like being generous and giving one of his valuable ponlamai to the friendly officers for their courteous behavior? :ph34r: