New Ninety-Day Report Dating Procedure

I just received the receipt for mailing in my ninety-day report which was due on February 7th.  They have dated my receipt on the day that they received it, January 31st and set my new required report date to May 1st, not May 6th as I expected.  Is this a new dating procedure?  On a positive note, they returned all of my photocopies to me so I won't have to make them the next time I mail in my report which will be on April 16th (14 days in advance.)  I wonder if they will then make my next report due date to be 90 days after they receive the report.  Supposing that they receive my report on April 22nd, will they then make my next report due date to be July 21st?  I thought that the procedure was to make the next report date to be 90 days after the present one was due.  Is anyone else having this experience?

That's the way that my office has done it for years, as said it's not like an extension.  The day that they receive it is the report date, just like you showed up in person, and the next date is 90 days from and including that day.