Alcohol sales BANNED, as police step up security on Makha Bucha Day and Valentine's Day

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only applies to the big shops, small ones always sell booze respective of any nanny state laws and rules

Only 20 years ago Australia imposed alcohol bans exactly like thailand during religious holidays around Christmas and Easter for several days at a time.
Note a bad effort for a developed country..nanny state 1st world!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Only applies to the big shops, small ones always sell booze respective of any nanny state laws and rules

Your right it's a joke. I wanted some alcohol at 4 in the morning in Min Buri, Bangkok, and obviously all the restaurants were closed and you couldn't buy from the 7/11, little big C or Tesco's because of the curfew, so I asked a motorbike taxi if he knew and he took me down this back road, down a little side street to this unit, where the roller shutter door was up and sitting inside was this little old chinese looking lady, with a room full of any alcohol you wanted lol. Job sorted!!!

They have changed the date of the Full Moon Party on Koh Phanang starting on Sunday 12th. So they're one day and a half late with that, what is normal in Thailand as they're late with everything. 

It would have been full moon on Saturday morning  @ 06:33:58 h

23 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

So is alcohol banned on Valentin'e Day as well? It would be disappointing if it was as it might prevent many new relationships being formed in beer bars and the usual following of the pleasurable tradition of exchanging gifts.

It is a beer sales ban not a beer drinking ban.

2 hours ago, PaPiPuPePo said:

They should make the ban permanent. Booze is a cause of so much grief that far outweigh the "benefits" (giddiness, horniness, saying and doing stupid regrettable things). Buddhism is fundamentally opposed to inebriation and especially that which is carnal i.e. drunkenness.

It would also have the benefit of ridding Thailand of the numerous farang drunks, like the ones who get their panties twisted over the slightest restrictions on their boozing (sure sign of addiction btw). And it would benefit the thousands of women and girls beaten and/or sexually abused, or murdered, every year by drunken men, Thai mostly of course.

Not that enough men, Thai or farang, care enough about those social ills to  consider reducing them worth impinging on their need for inebriation. Party on boys, your alcoholism is officially sanctioned minus brief periods, stock up ahead of time and you'll get through, be brave!

Not even mentioned were the number of deaths and injuries caused by drunk driving!

6 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Good god, don't you just love these people who like to show themselves up with their keyboard warrior "got it now?" threat when they clearly haven't even "got it" themselves!

What you said was not true at all, you said that people will not be able to go out, that is untrue, anyone can go out at anytime, alcohol ban or not.

I didn't say anything at all about bars or clubs being hit hard but, now that you mention it, by being hit hard you must mean their having to stop alcohol sales, that all, for a few hours?  I doubt if any owners will be crying into their alcohol-free beer over that.

If you weren't complaining about the 7-11 girl serving you one minute before the 2pm cut off, what were you going on about?  Were you congratulating her for legally serving you alcohol during a non-restricted time?

Everyone knows you can go out duh!  I think a story about having to stay in for 24 hrs would be huuuuuuuge ( as DT says) 

The 7/11 thing I'm talking about you STILL don't get lol.  Again nothing runs on time here ( almost) except these silly beer hours at 7/11 in BKK and some other places. She had to take me out of line by 1:59pm or else it wouldn't ring. Usually most time related things here are " Mai pen rai" or maybe you don't get that either. 

thats all. 

20 hours ago, PaPiPuPePo said:

They should make the ban permanent. Booze is a cause of so much grief that far outweigh the "benefits" (giddiness, horniness, saying and doing stupid regrettable things). Buddhism is fundamentally opposed to inebriation and especially that which is carnal i.e. drunkenness.

It would also have the benefit of ridding Thailand of the numerous farang drunks, like the ones who get their panties twisted over the slightest restrictions on their boozing (sure sign of addiction btw). And it would benefit the thousands of women and girls beaten and/or sexually abused, or murdered, every year by drunken men, Thai mostly of course.

Not that enough men, Thai or farang, care enough about those social ills to  consider reducing them worth impinging on their need for inebriation. Party on boys, your alcoholism is officially sanctioned minus brief periods, stock up ahead of time and you'll get through, be brave!

Spoken like a true recovering alky...who absolutely couldn't control his vice. It is unfair and asinine to broad brush everyone just because of your own personal weaknesses/problems. :coffee1: coffee now beer wine and spirits later!

No such thing as an alcohol ban here in the boonies ...

All village shops will be open as normal for the supply of Lao Khao from 6am until around 8pm where I live, along with other assorted alcoholic beverages

Hard luck for the townies ...

Going to do my good deed for the day

In Bangkok lower Sukhumvit in soi 7.5 opposite the ozzy bar there is a bar with pool tables out side. They serve every holiday.

In Pattaya, some of the bars on second Rd are open but expect to drink from a coffee cup

13 minutes ago, IsaanAndy said:

All village shops will be open as normal for the supply of Lao Khao from 6am until around 8pm where I live, along with other assorted alcoholic beverages

even in the cities the momma/pop shops will be selling anything you want

18 hours ago, mcfish said:

Going to do my good deed for the day

In Bangkok lower Sukhumvit in soi 7.5 opposite the ozzy bar there is a bar with pool tables out side. They serve every holiday.

In Pattaya, some of the bars on second Rd are open but expect to drink from a coffee cup

Ahh, but you run the risk of being caught in the infamous RTP swoop, not so up country.

I remember once in BKK drinking from a coffee mug in one of those small bars at the start of Soi 6 where it joins Soi 4 because a local election was being held. Enjoy

19 hours ago, farcanell said:

I think it's the anniversary of buddhas first sermon to his disciples.

Another special day for the temples, who will expect, and receive even more money from little old ladies who can barely afford to feed themselves. Shameful.

4 hours ago, stereolab said:

Another special day for the temples, who will expect, and receive even more money from little old ladies who can barely afford to feed themselves. Shameful.

Shameful?  Do those temples force anyone to donate?

On 2/10/2017 at 2:12 PM, IsaanAndy said:

Well they wouldn't want to deprive you Isaanites of the one glimmer of hope you have up there. Us townies will be just fine.

12 hours ago, mcfish said:

Wonderful bar Pattaya is nearly full capacity, pitch black but you can't hide this many with dim lights alone

Yes! Drank there until the wee hours a few years ago when alcohol sales were banned. Place was packed to capacity and then some! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2017 at 1:22 PM, mcfish said:

More murders and violent crimes have been committed after a cup of coffee in the morning than while drunk.
Think about it!

Well then I guess coffee is also a mind-altering drug the use of which--by the logic of current WOD laws--should be illegal and punishable by prison. Ha.

Archived