Thai Visa Elite Superiority Extension

9 hours ago, DipStick said:

After following this subject for some time, I do get the impression that those who are negative and oppose this scheme, are those that are financially struggling. That comment was not meant to be a slur, as not everyone is good at managing their finances. As for me, a married man, whose is  a wife who is a business lady with companies in both China and Thailand, I consider the 800,000 baht for two five year memberships , which is the equivalent of around 6,600 baht a month to be perfectly reasonable and totally affordabl. And that is on my wife's income,not taking my income into account . We would undoubtably  spend double that a month hosting our Thai customers whilst in Bangkok.

Earlier  this year, I did apply and was accepted, but it then became apparent that my wife would not be able to gain her work permit under this scheme, so we put the membership application on hold.

There are many comments by the negatives suggesting that if this scheme should be wound up by future governments then all is lost. I don't view it that way, I believe that if this should happen,then legally as this is an international project, the member will be able to see out his membership time.

i think there could be nothing worse than living in a foreign country, with limited finances, hand to cheek if you like, and worrying where the money is coming from to fund the next visa extension. 

i am one of the NEGATIVE'S,over 70 dont have to work and definately NOT STRUGGLING.

i used to be an accountant doing independant tax and vat.returns, so you can cross me OFF your list.

as for you you say your very successfull so WHY ARE YOU WORKING.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

Unless you quote the source it's pointless quoting numbers.

I seem to remember reading that the number of members is only about 4,000, 2,500 of which are from the original 2003 scheme. 4,000 in 13 years considering the hundreds of thousands of expats and frequent visitors seems poor to me. 

IMO they changed their target market last year because they have clearly failed to attract many members wanting the expensive prepaid "privileges" and realise the visa is all that most people want.

They reportedly increased the membership by 700 members last year probably off the back of new options, but that equates to an increase of approximately one third of the membership in one year. I make that one good year in thirteen. Only time will tell if the changes make a long term difference. I expect the initial interest will slow quickly.

I would love to see the accounts for the last 13 years and I'd bet they don't equate anywhere near to your numbers on a year to year basis.

I think it's a very limited market as most people have far cheaper options and aren't willing to pay through the nose for convenience.

The accounts were actually posted by somebody around about Christmas time but there are so many threads on the TE programme I don't know which one. It was under the accounts of the Tourist Authority of Thailand as they are the sole share holder.

http://www.thailandelite.com/aboutus.php

These may well be accounts here of some sort but it's in Thai

http://www.thailandelite.com/company_announcement_view.php?id=9

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

i am one of the NEGATIVE'S,over 70 dont have to work and definately NOT STRUGGLING.

i used to be an accountant doing independant tax and vat.returns, so you can cross me OFF your list.

as for you you say your very successfull so WHY ARE YOU WORKING.

I have no need to answer your personal question, however to clarify the situation I will do. Let me start off by saying that we are both in the same age bracket. My wife and I run two successful companies, one in Bangkok of which she is the MD, and another in South China where I am the MD. the two companies are sister companies. I however do not involve my self in the Bangkok company, hence my wife's need for a work permit. It would appear that even backward China is more advanced than Thailand when it comes to visas and in country working and as a company owner in China I get quite a number of perks.

in my position, with properties in China and Bangkok, do I need to work, the answer is no, but do I want to work, the answer is a big yes. I have a Canadian manager in China, so 90% of my work can be done online, and I like to visit Thailand when ever I can ( I first visited in 1979) and of course accompany my wife when she visits her Bangkok office..

we now come to the crunch, every time my wife visits Thailand for her business, she has to apply for a VOA at airport of arrival, which involves long queues with Chinese tour groups which is demeaning and upsetting for her, whilst I have to go through the visa excempt channels, and the more visits I make the more my passport is scrutinised by the Thai immigration. Hence our interest in the programme, which as I have previously stated is stymied by my wife not being able to secure the required work permit.

to make matters even worse is the fact that my wife who originates from Yunnan province, which is almost a three hour flight from where we live in China, has to use the nearest Thai consulate to her home born town which is Kunming, for any Thailand visa issues, whilst I can use either the consulate in HK or Guangzhou. Does that explain the situation clearly enough ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DipStick said:

I have no need to answer your personal question, however to clarify the situation I will do. Let me start off by saying that we are both in the same age bracket. My wife and I run two successful companies, one in Bangkok of which she is the MD, and another in South China where I am the MD. the two companies are sister companies. I however do not involve my self in the Bangkok company, hence my wife's need for a work permit. It would appear that even backward China is more advanced than Thailand when it comes to visas and in country working and as a company owner in China I get quite a number of perks.

in my position, with properties in China and Bangkok, do I need to work, the answer is no, but do I want to work, the answer is a big yes. I have a Canadian manager in China, so 90% of my work can be done online, and I like to visit Thailand when ever I can ( I first visited in 1979) and of course accompany my wife when she visits her Bangkok office..

we now come to the crunch, every time my wife visits Thailand for her business, she has to apply for a VOA at airport of arrival, which involves long queues with Chinese tour groups which is demeaning and upsetting for her, whilst I have to go through the visa excempt channels, and the more visits I make the more my passport is scrutinised by the Thai immigration. Hence our interest in the programme, which as I have previously stated is stymied by my wife not being able to secure the required work permit.

to make matters even worse is the fact that my wife who originates from Yunnan province, which is almost a three hour flight from where we live in China, has to use the nearest Thai consulate to her home born town which is Kunming, for any Thailand visa issues, whilst I can use either the consulate in HK or Guangzhou. Does that explain the situation clearly enough ?

As a Chinese citizen running a successful company in Asia, why doesn't your wife have an APEC card? No more visas and no more queues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APEC_Business_Travel_Card

7 hours ago, DipStick said:

I have no need to answer your personal question, however to clarify the situation Blah blah Blah Blah Does that explain the situation clearly enough ?

And this has what to do with the TVE thread?

2 minutes ago, Flustered said:

And this has what to do with the TVE thread?

I guess it has to do with the fact that anyone that spends THB1M on a 20 year visa can never be issued with a work permit while utilising that visa.

Since those over 50 years old and retired already have a pretty straightforward and cheap visa solution then you might ask does this limitation devalue the Thailand Elite program?

In my opinion, yes it does.

I never raised the question of working, only retirement.

My question was aimed at the TVE scheme and I was looking for anyone who had experience of it or knew the ins and outs of it.

Thanks to several members who have proved very helpful with their responses.

I have never questioned anyone's choice of visa, just asked a straightforward question about a certain scheme.

However, these off track posts keep me amused while I am downloading so I must not complain.