Phuket taxi driver fined B400 for reckless driving in high-speed crash

webfact

Phuket taxi driver fined B400 for reckless driving in high-speed crash

Eakkapop Thongtub

1486702427_1-org.jpg

Nittaya Thongthep, 52, who was driving the mobile food stall, escaped with only scratches and bruises. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Phuket taxi driver has been charged and fined B400 for reckless driving after he slammed into a food-vendor’s motorbike at speed before dawn this morning (Feb 10) while carrying two tourists from Phuket International Airport.

The accident happened at the Heroines Monument, in central Phuket, at about 5:30am.

Nittaya Thongthep, 52, who was driving the mobile food stall, escaped with only scratches and bruises.

The taxi driver, Prapot Boontang, tested negative for alcohol and drugs, confirmed Capt Kraisorn Boonprasop of Thalang Police.

“We had the option of fining him up to B1,000, but we wanted him to use that money for compensation to Mrs Nittaya,” Capt Kraisorn told The Phuket News this morning.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-taxi-driver-fined-b400-for-reckless-driving-in-high-speed-crash-60982.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-10

If the law or police does not come down hard on such drivers, things will never going to change.  I am sure the woman will get more money from the compulsory insurance than the 600 baht.  You can only affect change when you hit them hard where it hurts most, in their pockets.

I think it is outrageous the taxi driver was fined at all. He has already lost a lot of face in front of the tourists, the poor thing. Never mind, I'm sure he'll recoup his losses. Taxis on Phuket are already horrendously cheap, so 100 baht here and there on top of the meter won't be noticed. :whistling:

A Phuket taxi driver has been charged and fined B400 for reckless driving

Don't they squeeze folks 500 baht for no helmet? So this is less a violation than no helmet? And I thought I was finally "mind boggle" proof. Sure won't put a dent in his wallet.

The motor cycle combination and rider were found to be fully legit?

1. Motor cycle registered to show that a sidecar has been added and higher rate of road tax paid.

2. M/C is currently registered and, therefore, has the minimum insurance required by law.

3. Registration was affixed and displayed.

4. Headlamp is wired to be on at all times when the m/c is in motion.

5. Rear light is red and functional.

6. Rider has valid licence for m/c and combination.

7. Rider was wearing a safety helmet.

8. No passengers were being carried in the sidecar.

Then she's a victim.

13 minutes ago, sebastion said:

You can't deny now that there are rule of law for Thais and one for farang. no way a farang gets off with a 400 baht fine for that

If a farang is at fault, and fully compensates an innocent Thai party, and maybe a little more for loss of salary, I'm all for that, and believe most farang would. 

However, when an at fault Thai collides with an innocent farang, and the fault is put on the farang, due to his financial capacity, that is a miscarriage of justice, and a disgrace, which happens all too often here, and this could happen to any of us, at any time, and if that at fault Thai was to die, you are looking at the monkey house, until you pay big money to buy your freedom back.  

Make sure your cameras are on before you head out onto the road, and should you be the innocent road user in an accident with a Thai, make sure you upload the footage before the police get to the scene. 

When are they going to get these "MURDERERS" off the road?  This guy needs to be locked up.  He killed someone and only has to pay 400 baht?  It's 500 baht for not wearing a helmet for <deleted> sake.  I would dare say the family will not settle on this and there will be much more to the story they are not discussing such as the real compensation.  These drivers don't have accidents.  An accident is an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.  These guys cause the problem by driving recklessly and not paying attention, that is not an accident.  These drivers are "murderers".  They get behind the wheel and are a danger to everyone else on the road.  

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Nittaya Thongthep, 52, who was driving the mobile food stall, escaped with only scratches and bruises.

1 hour ago, Phuketboy said:

When are they going to get these "MURDERERS" off the road?  This guy needs to be locked up.  He killed someone and only has to pay 400 baht?  It's 500 baht for not wearing a helmet for <deleted> sake.  I would dare say the family will not settle on this and there will be much more to the story they are not discussing such as the real compensation.  These drivers don't have accidents.  An accident is an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.  These guys cause the problem by driving recklessly and not paying attention, that is not an accident.  These drivers are "murderers".  They get behind the wheel and are a danger to everyone else on the road.  

Did you read any of it? :biggrin:

Who is dead this time? :1zgarz5:

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

A whole 400 baht, really?! Would it have been the higher amount of 1000 baht if the vendor died?! This country is ridiculous...

"Would it have been the higher amount of 1000 baht if the vendor died?" - not if you were involved in an accident where a Thai died.  Then you are looking at 2 to 3 million baht, and that's just for "Somchai" the vendor. 

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

"Would it have been the higher amount of 1000 baht if the vendor died?" - not if you were involved in an accident where a Thai died.  Then you are looking at 2 to 3 million baht, and that's just for "Somchai" the vendor. 

My only defense will be my Dashcam, though I don't think that matters much when the rule of law here is a$$backwards.

4 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

Your histrionics are noted but at what point did he kill someone?

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

My only defense will be my Dashcam, though I don't think that matters much when the rule of law here is a$$backwards.

Dashcam and a decent insurance agent- you may be pleasantly surprised.

Wow, a whopping 400 big ones! That'll teach him a lesson he'll never forget, because it will become one of his favorite "believe it or not" stories around the beer table, with his fellow vehicular killers (a.k.a. taxi drivers).

Apart from that, these these 3-wheeled contraptions are completely illegal, according to the land transport department. Yet, I have never heard of anybody getting fined for driving one on public roads. They're also uninsurable, since they technically don't exist.

The Gazette story on the same incident, asserts that the 3-wheeler was entering the roundabout against traffic, to avoid having to go around the circle. I guess that's also too much detail for the BiB to deal with.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

“We had the option of fining him up to B1,000, but we wanted him to use that money for compensation to Mrs Nittaya,” Capt Kraisorn told The Phuket News this morning.

So it didn't occur that they should have fined him the B1,000 - still pitifully small (TiT) - and they then handed the 'surplus' to the vendor? 

When are they going to get these "MURDERERS" off the road?  This guy needs to be locked up.  He killed someone and only has to pay 400 baht?  It's 500 baht for not wearing a helmet for sake.  I would dare say the family will not settle on this and there will be much more to the story they are not discussing such as the real compensation.  These drivers don't have accidents.  An accident is an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause.  These guys cause the problem by driving recklessly and not paying attention, that is not an accident.  These drivers are "murderers".  They get behind the wheel and are a danger to everyone else on the road.  

The food vender was NOT killed, only minor scratches & bruises. Read the full story properly before opening your big mouth!

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app