House renovation

ST11

Removing a hardwood floor can be difficult and expensive if its been glued down. Some solid wood floors are nailed down to the concrete subfloor using cement nails, making them easier to remove but I believe that glued down floors are more common. When we had this done, the guy under-estimated the job and it took his team about 2 days just to remove about 20 m2 of old glued-down floor.

For the gutters, as noted above some contractors can make them onsite. You can also do this as a DIY project using the PVC components available at HomePro and Thai Watsadu. If you don't want to do it yourself, you can look there to get an idea of the cost of materials, then estimate how many days it would take for a crew of 2 guys to do the installation. (Note that the HomePro in Sam Kong does not stock gutters, but I think the ones in Thalang and Chalong do. I know Thai Watsadu has them, as I was looking at them yesterday).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure there are still shops around that do metal gutters. I got mine done by the local shop on Viset Rd in Rawai years ago. They are bigger than any PVC type gutter and have held up very well for 11 years. They were painted to the color of my trim. Never bothered with rain collection, I have a well that's never run dry and I'm not here full time to manage a collection system.