Foreign thieves are robbing us blind, complains Thai shop owner

rooster59

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Thais never break the law whilst overseas for fear of tarnishing their reputation.  Never ever steal from each other.

you have got to be kidding. who is doing human trade in malaysia and so many thais have been caught offending. but this does not refer to thais alone. every society has some elements who are not desirable.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Sig said:

Why would you doubt that it happens every day? If it were just an occasional thing, I doubt she would be so upset.
I don't doubt for a moment that it could be happening every day. I don't know how many shops are there in the area that she was talking about it happening every day (read carefully, she wasn't talking about it happening only in her shop every day, but in the area shops), but if there are more than 10 shops there, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it were a daily occurrence. Actually, I would expect more.

Anyone who goes into the retail business without budgeting for "shrinkage" does not have a firm grasp of what's involved in running a business. That's not to condone it, merely to state it's a fact of business life

5 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Anyone who goes into the retail business without budgeting for "shrinkage" does not have a firm grasp of what's involved in running a business. That's not to condone it, merely to state it's a fact of business life

why should shoplifting be a fact of business life. there is no place for such offences. shopkeepers have enough of other issues like obsolete  inventory and competition  and overheads to worry about.

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

One problem that springs to mind with this is that it then gives the wee guy, hiding behind the cubby holes, the chance to rat thru your bag, and steal your camera or iPhone or whatever (like the luggage pilfering  scams on buses).

But these shops that "cater" to tourists, though cheap, still gouge tourists, as you all know, given they will instantly give a "cheap price for you" discount, almost instantly.... and lets not forget the double pricing standard for farangs

that said, lol... this is piss poor, and not the idea most have of a cheap holiday in Asia. I would personally love to see them caught, and if they have already departed, I really hope that the video goes viral enough that someone from where ever they come from, sees it and shames them 

logistics possibly would not allow allow to screen and store all items especially personal bags.

34 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

change many to some and i would agree with her, all countries have some bad people

Many means a large number not a large percentage, it is a fact that all countries have a large number of bad people whether this number amounts to a small percentage of the total populous or not.

6 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Are you inferring that the owner involved doesn't already do that? Or that since one budgets for theft, then they shouldn't be upset by it when it happens? I think every breathing adult with 2 brain cells functioning well enough to have an ounce of common sense understands this "fact of business life".  Not really sure what your point is, but it appears to be just more of the same TV fault finding, where there is no evidence of the thing stated to begin with... Why not just have some empathy for the owner who has been violated, without other nonsense added in? Especially since you say you don't condone the thievery...

7 minutes ago, sahibji said:

why should shoplifting be a fact of business life. there is no place for such offences. shopkeepers have enough of other issues like obsolete  inventory and competition  and overheads to worry about.

Why should it be?
It shouldn't be. But it is.
But I think the poster who said that seemed to be insinuating that the owner wasn't taking this into account in running her business. But I don't think there is evidence for that at all. And it was a nonsensical unsympathetic post.

12 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Did it occur to you that it may be a larger factor in some countries than others and that a shopkeeper in Thailand would not be factoring for the shrinkage necessary for the same business in other countries to survive and as the demographics of tourists changes year after year to attempt to factor in the potential to steal for each new wave of tourists would be a virtual impossibility to keep up with?

21 minutes ago, sahibji said:

why should shoplifting be a fact of business life.

Because it is. I assume you've never worked in retail. In some Western countries that have adopted self-service supermarket checkouts the incidence of not scanning or describing a cheaper vegetable than the one being bought is so widespread that some thought is being given to reducing their use. Don't believe me - google it

1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

CCTV is great if you use it. This was shot January 7, she posted this February 11. Those tourists are long gone back to their freezing cold Countries with shit food and weather. Memories of Thailand.  

Did you read the OP?  They were complaining about the police failing to respond to their complaint, do you think just possibly that they may have given the CCTV to the police before they posted on social media?

11 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Did it occur to you that it may be a larger factor in some countries than others and that a shopkeeper in Thailand would not be factoring for the shrinkage necessary for the same business in other countries to survive and as the demographics of tourists changes year after year to attempt to factor in the potential to steal for each new wave of tourists would be a virtual impossibility to keep up with?

More fool him (or her)

How hard up do you have to be to steal clothing worth a few hundred Baht? 

Money to fly half way around the world but then be on such a tight budget that you can't afford to buy yourself anything.

The video reminds me of another video posted here sometime during the last 12 months. A young pair of caucasian girls who were sitting at the counter in a bar/restaurant. One of them was recorded taking food off of customers's plates. 

Cheap, cheap, cheap...

Wealthy people also steal. It's not always about the money but the thrill.. Even mega rich, eg wyona rider.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

In South Africa in the last 6 months, there has been a dramatic increase in shop lifting offenses by male and females. If caught in store or shop, they are stripped naked and have the living sh one t beaten out of them. Reasons, police unwilling to help.... because courts are too lenient, courts give a little warning and no justice seen to be done.

So kangaroo court justice prevails.

If they are from a neighbouring country, the punishment is a bit more extreme, usually involving petrol and a box of matches.

Bottom line, don't steal from small enterprises. Big retail stores rely on the courts for proper justice.

Boots in the U.K. told me thirty years ago they added 3% to the price to allow for "shrinkage" most of which was lost to staff in the supply chain rather than customers. UK police, especially in London,  mostly rely on store detectives arresting and bringing these thieves to the police station with the evidence. Maybe something for Thais to try if they have a similar problem.

3 hours ago, Seewolf said:

Sad story to see foreigner ladies they have stolen a dress for a value of .........probably 200 baht or a bit more ? If they can't afford to pay, they better stay away in their country...........

If she just skipped a couple of meals she might be able to pay for the dress - possibly fit into it too.

6 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Look I know the OP has the video but I also have it on youtube. The quality is excellent. As many foreigners browse Thaivisa I would like to post this copy as I can see this much easier and it fills my entire phone screen. Much better for identifying the culprits.

Very ugly stealing women .

4 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

A few days! You're having a laugh. A British women who stole 1 bottle of shampoo from boots in Pattaya is doing 2 years in prison. Eating fish head soup and losing all her teeth due to malnutrition.

More Thai prisons' conditions b ollocks.

5 hours ago, chuang said:

you still think this is a joke.....SHAME on you

No, shame on you, for being another one in denial.

Just blame foreigners.

Pretend like Thai's don't constantly cheat on a daily basis.

Whether it's cheating foreigners whenever they can,

or as the other commenter said, most of their goods are

fake. 
That is cheating too. 

So sick of turn  the other cheek Thais.
And this woman is a liar, saying this happens on a daily basis,all the time.

Everyone knows that if it did, she would be posting and whining

about foreigners every time it happens. 

It is a joke. Bigger joke than this Thai woman is people like

you only defending Thais, whether they're right or wrong. 

19 minutes ago, BKKBodhisattva said:

And Thais can tell the difference between white people from Eastern & Western Europe, can't they?

Yer... plot being lost a bit

stand a German ( Eastern European) alongside a Brit, an American an Australian and a white South African, and who could really be sure which was which?