Purchasing an Android TV box or anything that can stream HBO, Showtime, ETC

John F Gill

1 minute ago, Jeffrey346 said:

That's correct some may find the additional cost unnecessary, while others embrace technology. 

I do believe I pointed out some pros and cons that should be considered when buying a new box.

I understand where you're going, but I'm still not convinced of the usefulness of a internal or even external HDD.

As you will know a set top box is connected to the network, otherwise it would not be able to stream online, and that also mean that it can stream everything that is stored on other devices connected to the network.

As there are PC's and NAS servers, which have a lot of HDD's inside.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Naam said:

an external drive does same same, not different :smile:

I didn't say you must have an internal HDD or any HDD. My point is, it does have it's benefits and nice to have.

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

i disposed of one because two tiny cooling fans made a high pitched noise and inspite of the "cooling" the whole box heated up to an unacceptable temperature.

I can relate. There are some that do not use a fan and do an acceptable job of keeping the unit cool.

3 minutes ago, Allstars said:

I understand where you're going, but I'm still not convinced of the usefulness of a internal or even external HDD.

As you will know a set top box is connected to the network, otherwise it would not be able to stream online, and that also mean that it can stream everything that is stored on other devices connected to the network.

As there are PC's and NAS servers, which have a lot of HDD's inside.

I not here to convince you of anything. You will do as you please just as others will. This is informational only. Accept it or don't. That your prerogative.

Why you continue to be so confrontational escapes me.

2 hours ago, Allstars said:

I think that what Jeffrey's trying to say is that it is useful to have a HDD attached already containing media files (movies, photos, music etc.) so you can watch something when the internet is offline or not available.

I do exactly the same thing with an external USB drive, but mine is loaded with 1020p movies with DTS sound... a bit better quality than most streaming feeds.

1 minute ago, Encid said:

I think that what Jeffrey's trying to say is that it is useful to have a HDD attached already containing media files (movies, photos, music etc.) so you can watch something when the internet is offline or not available.

I do exactly the same thing with an external USB drive, but mine is loaded with 1020p movies with DTS sound... a bit better quality than most streaming feeds.

I understand that Encid, but for that Sata has no advantage over USB2, because the transfer speed USB2 can deliver even at it's lowest possible is plenty to stream those files.

And that is also the point I made in the post Jeffrey picked on.

The other disadvantages of the limited selection of boxes with HDD tray, I already pointed out in an other post.

1 minute ago, Allstars said:

I understand that Encid, but for that Sata has no advantage over USB2, because the transfer speed USB2 can deliver even at it's lowest possible is plenty to stream those files.

I know what you mean... I have even tried that with a simple USB 8GB stick.

Works fine!

OK, after about 5 years of paying for platinum packages on 2 boxes with Truevisions I've finally had enough and sent them back yesterday. It wasn't just the deletion of many favoured channels, but the fact they now mainly show re-runs. Very few new shows go through the entire series before they stop and start with replays.

They want to come today to collect the satellite dish and all HDMI cables. Must need every satang they can scrape together.

So, I managed to install Kodi on my laptop by following a step by step guide on utube, amazing considering my lack of tech knowledge. But, I probably need to buy some boxes for the tvs.  I'm also thinking of just buying something like Pulse.

A couple of questions to the gurus here:  Does a box come loaded with addons or an easy path to them?  If you don't do it yourself  (pirate?) do you have to pay subscriptions to a supplier?

What's the final consensus on the best box to buy?

There is NO consensus on a single "box" unfortunately. I have a Minix U1 which is a very good box. I also have a Beelink box that other people may very well tell you to avoid. But I'm more than happy with it and don't get the problems some people have reported.

Get a box with minimum 2GB RAM and Android 6.0 or at the very least 5.0

Get back on YouTube. Plenty of box reviews there.

Pulse has everything done for you, at a price. You literally just attach it to your TV and internet and go. All the UK channels, including the Sky Premium/Box Office, channels are there, plus a lot of European and US channels - and Thai TV. Catch-up is only 24 hours. The picture quality is excellent and as long as you have a good internet connection, minimal buffering.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Pulse has everything done for you, at a price. You literally just attach it to your TV and internet and go. All the UK channels, including the Sky Premium/Box Office, channels are there, plus a lot of European and US channels - and Thai TV. Catch-up is only 24 hours. The picture quality is excellent and as long as you have a good internet connection, minimal buffering.

I'm not British so one of my qualms about Pulse is that there may be too much UK content (I'm not interested in soccer) and not enough of reasonable US channels. I have checked their guides and it seems every UK channel available is listed, but little from elsewhere. 

As an Australian I'm well aware that most programming from there is crap, all I really want is a cheap path to the AFL. I think Pulse has A1, but can't see it in the guide.

19 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

There is NO consensus on a single "box" unfortunately. I have a Minix U1 which is a very good box. I also have a Beelink box that other people may very well tell you to avoid. But I'm more than happy with it and don't get the problems some people have reported.

Get a box with minimum 2GB RAM and Android 6.0 or at the very least 5.0

Get back on YouTube. Plenty of box reviews there.

The Minix seems good and Lazada has them for about B5000.

Is that all I would need to get unlimited programming?

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I'm not British so one of my qualms about Pulse is that there may be too much UK content (I'm not interested in soccer) and not enough of reasonable US channels. I have checked their guides and it seems every UK channel available is listed, but little from elsewhere. 

As an Australian I'm well aware that most programming from there is crap, all I really want is a cheap path to the AFL. I think Pulse has A1, but can't see it in the guide.

you can always try watching online at https://www.vipbox.bz/aussie-rules but as always make sure your popup blocker is on.

Buying the box itself will get you very little. You then need to add the capability to get content yourself through apps and/or Kodi. Again YouTube is your friend. Just make sure you filter the results for recent stuff.

Getting a box from Pulse TV or Expat Tv for example means that it WILL work straight out of the box but the equipment they provide may be quite old spec.

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks for that.

I'll give them a try in a few hours time when the season starts!

I found this for you as well but you will need a vpn (virtual private network) with a server in Australia to watch the games on ch7 free to air.

http://www.afl.com.au/tv-radio/broadcastguide

I just remembered I watch the footie with some Aussie mates and they have subscribed to the official stream and it's not expensive, will find the link for you.

2 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I found this for you as well but you will need a vpn (virtual private network) with a server in Australia to watch the games on ch7 free to air.

http://www.afl.com.au/tv-radio/broadcastguide

I have VPN and actually tried to do that at one stage. Foxtel refused o have anything to do with me.

Another path to try.

Just now, Old Croc said:

I have VPN and actually tried to do that at one stage. Foxtel refused o have anything to do with me.

Another path to try.

My Aussie mates have got a bar in Ban Phe, Rayong to pay for the subscription and as they like a tipple it's in the bars interest to do this. It's a bit more expensive than I remembered but still good value if you're into it I think as you can watch the games on demand anytime.

https://www.watchafl.com.au/offer

6 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

If you use torrents - you can get all the popular premium TV commercial free, and in HD.

Alternatively, try and find a software version of the box in question.  For example: when  Directv hacking was in vogue, software versions of their receivers and decoder cards were available. I would suggest searching forums that deal with hacking.

Cheers

since getting my box, I haven't downloaded a single torrent.  It's nice to just turn on the box, and they they are.  Actually, a lot more than you'll ever find via torrents.  Subtitles and all.  I'm loving this box.

P.S. no ads and in HD.

3 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

If you use torrents - you can get all the popular premium TV commercial free, and in HD.

Alternatively, try and find a software version of the box in question.  For example: when  Directv hacking was in vogue, software versions of their receivers and decoder cards were available. I would suggest searching forums that deal with hacking.

Cheers

Kodi will run on pc & mac. There are android emulators for pc and the best are bluestacks and koplayer as mobdro only runs on android but this is a bit hit and miss as the current mobdro version isn't compatible with any of the android emulators I've used at the moment. This changes with modro updates, some work and some don't.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks for that.

I'll give them a try in a few hours time when the season starts!

I would get a M8S+. 2 thousand on lazada. Had one for a year and no problems. Dual wifi also.

Download mobdro, showbox and livenettv if you cant be bothered with Kodi. Search on google not from playstore.

Buying the box itself will get you very little. You then need to add the capability to get content yourself through apps and/or Kodi. Again YouTube is your friend. Just make sure you filter the results for recent stuff.

Getting a box from Pulse TV or Expat Tv for example means that it WILL work straight out of the box but the equipment they provide may be quite old spec.

Or buy a better box and just install their app on it (obviously defeats the straight out of the box idea).

3 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Or buy a better box and just install their app on it (obviously defeats the straight out of the box idea).

I don't think there is an App. I beleive Pulse sells a hardware and software combo only.

I don't think there is an App. I beleive Pulse sells a hardware and software combo only.

I was talking about ThaiExpat.tv. You have to sideload their app if you use a different box. Quite simple and they'll send you the relevant download links.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

On 23/03/2017 at 10:26 AM, JaiMaai said:

Buying the box itself will get you very little. You then need to add the capability to get content yourself through apps and/or Kodi.

This is very true.

There are some good Kodi builds in this topic @Old Croc

Archived