Phuket Poll: Does Patong need later closing times for bars and nightclubs?

webfact

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Really do agree that an Entertainment area like Bangla Road should be able to run until at least 4am. I can't think of any Private Homes or even Guest Houses close enough to be affected by noise. You could simply bring in a regulation to cut noise levels after 1am ...

Years ago I stayed in one of the bungalows at the Tropica. It backed up to a row of bars on Bangla, and it was impossible to sleep before 2am. I'm fairly certain those bungalows are still there. Cutting the noise levels at a decent time while allowing the bars and clubs on Bangla to stay open later makes a lot of sense.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, schlog said:

Best would be no closing times like in the 90s.

They extended the drinking laws in Scotland a few years ago and everybody predicted a mammoth surge in drunkenness.

Amazingly, the result was exactly the opposite to what was expected - the recorded levels of drunkenness actually went DOWN! 

Apparently, the logical  reasoning for this phenomenon was as follows:-

When a (drinking) Scotsman finishes work, the first thing he does is head for the pub - at one time the evening opening hours were  5 pm until 10 pm. Depending on what hours he worked, this gave a periodof 5 hours drinking time, during which he would get as much down his neck as he could, and 2 or 3 before closing time ("Last orders, please, laddies!") Hence, the spilling out on to the streets at 10.30 of many bad tempered and inebriated Scots. .

However, extend the opening times, and he does not have to rush his drink as much, (which in itself can lead to getting "oot the heed" at a vastly accelerated rate of knots!).

There is also no need for the "stocking up" at "last orders", as they now have an extra hour (or so) to consume their "pints of heavy" or "wee drams" or whatever their favourite tipple might be.

The most compelling point however was that no drinking Scotsman's sporran is bottomless, and he can only afford to buy a certain amount of alcohol out of his "pocket money", and will consume the same amount per night, but instead of "necking it" in 5 hours, he will proceed at a more leisurely pace, and amble out at closing time, maybe even having the forethought of mind to remember the time and location of his last bus home!  

However, whether this solution would reduce the level of drunkenness and loutish behaviour in Thailand is very debatable, as the tourists/"ATM"s are usually well supplied with additional finances for their holiday!

Edited by sambum
Altered text

1 hour ago, sambum said:

They extended the drinking laws in Scotland a few years ago and everybody predicted a mammoth surge in drunkenness.

Amazingly, the result was exactly the opposite to what was expected - the recorded levels of drunkenness actually went DOWN! 

Apparently, the logical  reasoning for this phenomenon was as follows:-

When a (drinking) Scotsman finishes work, the first thing he does is head for the pub - at one time the evening opening hours were  5 pm until 10 pm. Depending on what hours he worked, this gave a periodof 5 hours drinking time, during which he would get as much down his neck as he could, and 2 or 3 before closing time ("Last orders, please, laddies!") Hence, the spilling out on to the streets at 10.30 of many bad tempered and inebriated Scots. .

However, extend the opening times, and he does not have to rush his drink as much, (which in itself can lead to getting "oot the heed" at a vastly accelerated rate of knots!).

There is also no need for the "stocking up" at "last orders", as they now have an extra hour (or so) to consume their "pints of heavy" or "wee drams" or whatever their favourite tipple might be.

The most compelling point however was that no drinking Scotsman's sporran is bottomless, and he can only afford to buy a certain amount of alcohol out of his "pocket money", and will consume the same amount per night, but instead of "necking it" in 5 hours, he will proceed at a more leisurely pace, and amble out at closing time, maybe even having the forethought of mind to remember the time and location of his last bus home!  

However, whether this solution would reduce the level of drunkenness and loutish behaviour in Thailand is very debatable, as the tourists/"ATM"s are usually well supplied with additional finances for their holiday!

Agree with your points above sambum, I was living and working on the East coast of Scotland when they changed the opening hours. Coming from Belfast made it seem more like home.......:smile:

Your last line however I disagree with as Thailand is almost doing the reverse to what happened in Scotland (and later England) with opening hours for drinking establishments. Thailand used to have unlimited opening hours, many, many bars having both day & night staff employed. With extremely few incidents of trouble in said bars!! This to an extent, along with obliging bar staff, was really what put Thailand on the map as an SEA holiday venue.

When I hear TAT's excuses and made up numbers of tourists coming here for the scenery and the temples, and their attempts at making Thailand a 'high-end' tourist destination without putting anything into the infrastructure to make this a reasonable goal, it makes me laugh. 

Think about what you are doing Thailand, don't turn the nightlife into a 'binge session' experience, otherwise your experience with violence related incidents with tourists could well end up doing the opposite of what you expect.

There is nothing better than everyone offed into the streets at the same time to kick it all off.

Edited by chrisinth

41 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Agree with your points above sambum, I was living and working on the East coast of Scotland when they changed the opening hours. Coming from Belfast made it seem more like home.......:smile:

Your last line however I disagree with as Thailand is almost doing the reverse to what happened in Scotland (and later England) with opening hours for drinking establishments. Thailand used to have unlimited opening hours, many, many bars having both day & night staff employed. With extremely few incidents of trouble in said bars!! This to an extent, along with obliging bar staff, was really what put Thailand on the map as an SEA holiday venue.

When I hear TAT's excuses and made up numbers of tourists coming here for the scenery and the temples, and their attempts at making Thailand a 'high-end' tourist destination without putting anything into the infrastructure to make this a reasonable goal, it makes me laugh. 

Think about what you are doing Thailand, don't turn the nightlife into a 'binge session' experience, otherwise your experience with violence related incidents with tourists could well end up doing the opposite of what you expect.

There is nothing better than everyone offed into the streets at the same time to kick it all off.

I didn't know about the "unlimited" opening hours here I must admit! And your comments re TAT are pure gold! (I didn't believe their stats yesterday, I don't believe them today, nor will I tomorrow - the reason being blindingly obvious to those that can see!)

Re your last paragraph, my home town is running a system with "staggered" closing times for the night clubs, which seems quite successful as it reduces the sudden exodus from the nightspots that you refer to.

10 hours ago, Get Real said:

That clearly means that you and you friend would not be able to have a normal work. Can´t sleep before 3 am, are you joking. Just not a normal day cycle, and only one created for have the power to go out every day and drinking. That is also not a normal behaviour, and that is not what moving to another country is about.

Also this about getting drunk. Just don´t care about drunk or not. That was just what you hear about a lot and also see when you are out. The much better if there is no need to get drunk, then it´s just more fine that the places close the time they do. Just take your friends and sit talk on the beach with or without beers. Maybe you even might see the sun go up.

Have had 'normal jobs' but mostly managed well enough. When you're a professional (in some areas) people don't care what hours you keep so long as you produce. When I was with the police in an internal professional role, most officers started the day at 7:30am... I rolled in at 10am. But people were still getting email at 1 or 2 in the morning from me. As a consultant in an international consultancy, I had the same arrangement with my boss... no problems. As a university professor I tried, as much as possible, to have afternoon classes only. One professor friend of mine works until 5am every night... and holds a senior position at his uni (in Singapore). There's a whole other world out there ... people aren't just drinking at night. [I put myself through school working at a GM assembly plant and mostly did night shift... it was the preference for most of the regular workers on that shift ... they considered it 'normal work']  

10 hours ago, Get Real said:

Also this about getting drunk. Just don´t care about drunk or not. That was just what you hear about a lot and also see when you are out. The much better if there is no need to get drunk, then it´s just more fine that the places close the time they do. Just take your friends and sit talk on the beach with or without beers. Maybe you even might see the sun go up.

Sure, it's fine to sit on the beach with friends. That should always be an option (except if you are in inland Canada in mid-winter). But why do you want to prevent other people from having other alternatives? Some of us like watching live bands, some like dancing, some like playing. Not everyone appreciates quiet time on a beach... at least not all the time. Don't begrudge others of the things they enjoy even if you don't...

6 hours ago, Docno said:

Sure, it's fine to sit on the beach with friends. That should always be an option (except if you are in inland Canada in mid-winter). But why do you want to prevent other people from having other alternatives? Some of us like watching live bands, some like dancing, some like playing. Not everyone appreciates quiet time on a beach... at least not all the time. Don't begrudge others of the things they enjoy even if you don't...

Not want to prevent other people from having fun. I am voicing my opinion in a forum. That opinion is that it´s enough with open until midnight or 01.00. As simple as that, and whatever you say will not change or affect that.

On 2/13/2017 at 9:14 AM, Deli said:

24/7 on 365 days, that's it. Look at Vegas, no problem.

Vegas has real law and order. You step out of line and you are dealt with promptly, efficiently, and viciously. Thailand does not have law and order. Big difference. I am probably the wrong person to venture an opinion on this. I consider Patong to be a blight zone, and after visiting a few years back, I have no need to ever return again. Ridiculously expensive drinks, prohibitive bar fines, overpriced everything. For what? What is the big deal? Can someone explain that to me? 

On 2/13/2017 at 11:37 AM, LivinLOS said:

What it really comes to is.. 12.. 2.. 4.. etc.. Doesnt matter what matters is that there is a debate and decision, and then that is implemented as law. That law is applied, clearly and consistently country wide. 

It cant be one law in one town, one law in a different town.. One law for the guy whose related to the police chief, one law for the other guy.. And a constant system of police being paid to not enforce the laws. 

Consider the issues. Decide a law. Apply it everywhere. 

"It cant be one law in one town, one law in a different town."

It works for Immigration!

39 minutes ago, sambum said:

"It cant be one law in one town, one law in a different town."

It works for Immigration!

Not sure where you are from..but in America...we are made up of 50 states as I'm sure you know...we have federal laws (nation wide) and then there are state laws..1000's of them that vary from state to state...I.E.  a liquor or entertainment law in one state can vary from that of another...Even within the states themselves from town to town, there are vast differences...And I'm sure this applies to many other countries as well...

That being said...you use the example of immigration..and I have seen in Thailand that immigration laws do vary from one province to another...in fact in Phuket there are 2 immigration offices...and an answer you get at one office can certainly be different than the other...Why this is I don't know although I can guess...but as you would think something like immigration would be one standard national set of rules.

But yes it is very confusing because you hear so many different takes on what the "laws" state but nobody is enforcing anything anyway.

On 2/13/2017 at 11:44 AM, Shawn0000 said:

In my experience the earlier closing times result in more bad behavior, when people are kicked out onto the streets just when they were getting started they become frustrated that their entertainment has been taken from them and then they turn to finding another source of entertainment, fighting.  We used to have 11pm closing times in the UK, that meant people drank quickly in order to achieve getting drunk before last orders, then everyone was kicked out at the same time, having gotten drunk as quickly as possible, and the mayhem began, every weekend the same, brawls in towns across the country, then we had the insight to look at other countries in Europe where they did not have our violence problem, they all had the same difference, later or no enforced closing times, we did the same and the violence was reduced.

Eggsactly!