Fantastic Food! "Auf Der Au" Restaurant!

FolkGuitar

Fair points, I know that Udo thinks about a second location. They do also catering. It's probably a kind of a crossroad now, go bigger or stay as we all know it. Quality is still fantastic, to get a table may perhaps be a bit challenging, but the old rule still stands, avoid empty restaurants.

4 hours ago, stament said:

who are you calling old? ? I will see you in no.1 bar on Weds, pistols at 8 ?

Can we make that with sabres? Guns are just sooo noisy.  And perhaps Thursday? Wednesday evening I'm practicing with the Chiang Mai Fencing Club. Thanks for your understanding. :smile:

On 2/14/2017 at 6:15 PM, FolkGuitar said:

As I wrote in the original post;

Located on the old Lamphun Rd, just about 300m south of the outer ring road on the left-hand side

Google map:

18°43'33.5"N 99°01'28.7"E

Thanks so much.... I don't live in CM so I am not familiar with your road references. 

Just a word of caution.   My wife and I were there last week.  It was a great disappointment.   My Wienerschnitzel was so soggy with fat that I had to ask for extra napkins just to drain it.  I eventually gave up.

I will not be back.

Nothing worse than a soggy 'sausage'.
[emoji102]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

57 minutes ago, Rotweiler said:

Just a word of caution.   My wife and I were there last week.  It was a great disappointment.   My Wienerschnitzel was so soggy with fat that I had to ask for extra napkins just to drain it.  I eventually gave up.

I will not be back.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the meal.

But, on the positive side, that frees up at least two seats for the rest of us.

It does leave me wondering, however... With 397 different main dishes (+/- a few,) why didn't you just eat something else. I was lucky. I didn't get to try the schnitzel, and everything I tasted was delicious and well prepared.

15 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Sorry you didn't enjoy the meal.

But, on the positive side, that frees up at least two seats for the rest of us.

It does leave me wondering, however... With 397 different main dishes (+/- a few,) why didn't you just eat something else. I was lucky. I didn't get to try the schnitzel, and everything I tasted was delicious and well prepared.

Too date, the food for me has never been a real dissapointment but I also shall not be going back for some time. The atmosphere of the place has changed.

On the positive side,  not like yourself that has only been once,  I have gone to this buffet at least 30 times over the years. I have seen this buffet grow and we are just not 'one-off wonders' in visiting this establishment.

For your information, I tried several dishes on our last visit and yes, most dishes were cool. That has never happened before. The food was still good; I did enjoy the meal but the polish of what I once new it to be is gone. A long time ago we could go, get a table easily, get scorching hot food, not have half the farang 'heavyweight' community that once was never there, grazing for hours on end and it was to be an enjoyable experience. It hence has changed due to popularity.

Our the years, I use to take all my overseas friends/family on a visit to eat here. It was like just one of the things to do to enjoy the experience of Chiang Mai.

Look, nothing wrong at all with the food, and it remains one of the best buffets in Chiang Mai. The owner puts in a tremendous amount of time and work to get this right, but I will gladly leave you my table. For myself, the polish that was once a great experience has dulled due to popularity this place has gained.

I know of several other spots in Chiang Mai I can go to on a Sunday evening for a fabulous fair of farang food were the service is 5 star and we have no crowds of people. Like I said in my previous posts, we all differ in our tastes and over time we change.

Edited by totally thaied up

30 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Too date, the food for me has never been a real dissapointment but I also shall not be going back for some time. The atmosphere of the place has changed.

Sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied with your experience there.

But, on the positive side, that frees up another two seats for the rest of us.  :smile:

Twenty plus years ago I used to love going to Koh Tao. The diving was excellent,  there were no crowds, no noise... not even any electricity nor paved roads. One small village next to the pier, and only the night ferry from Chumpon to get you there. Today there are three villages, God only knows how many boats coming from three different departure points, and what seems like 24-hour a day loud music on crowded beaches. Many don't like it any more. But the people coming for the first time love it. They think they've found paradise, and for them, they have.

Koh Tao didn't get 'worse.' It got different. And some people can't adjust to 'different.'  The Oak tree on the shore stands rigid against the storm, until it cracks and falls over. The Palm tree bends with the wind.  Sorry to hear you will no longer be standing on the shore. Thanks for making the seats available for others.

27 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied with your experience there.

But, on the positive side, that frees up another two seats for the rest of us.  :smile:

Twenty plus years ago I used to love going to Koh Tao. The diving was excellent,  there were no crowds, no noise... not even any electricity nor paved roads. One small village next to the pier, and only the night ferry from Chumpon to get you there. Today there are three villages, God only knows how many boats coming from three different departure points, and what seems like 24-hour a day loud music on crowded beaches. Many don't like it any more. But the people coming for the first time love it. They think they've found paradise, and for them, they have.

Koh Tao didn't get 'worse.' It got different. And some people can't adjust to 'different.'  The Oak tree on the shore stands rigid against the storm, until it cracks and falls over. The Palm tree bends with the wind.  Sorry to hear you will no longer be standing on the shore. Thanks for making the seats available for others.

I can adjust, but when user end experience drops, you just change.

I posted my experience and ended up with psychobabble of an old Oak story when in fact I just posted about 'food' and 'experience.' I suppose this is Thai Visa then...

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

I know of several other spots in Chiang Mai I can go to on a Sunday evening for a fabulous fair of farang food were the service is 5 star and we have no crowds of people. Like I said in my previous posts, we all differ in our tastes and over time we change.

Any chance that you could advise what places you are talking about.  Sure it may go they way of Auf Der Au as far as increased popularity with resultant issues but I am sure that most (and I certainly) would be interested in any place that is as good as you have suggested.

Any chance that you could advise what places you are talking about.  Sure it may go they way of Auf Der Au as far as increased popularity with resultant issues but I am sure that most (and I certainly) would be interested in any place that is as good as you have suggested.

They've probably all got "soggy sausages" by now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

25 minutes ago, mamborobert said:

Sent you a PM

As for me posting; no, I like my peace and quiet (but since you asked me nicely, I sent you a PM)

Edited by totally thaied up

On 15/02/2017 at 3:21 PM, MadMac said:

For the brave, the really brave.....dare to meet in real life? We could reserve a table? :D

okay, booking my flight BKK - CNX now  ;-)

The pictures of the OP's meaty plate already caused damage to my laptop as I was salivating all over it  {~_~}

BTW, such a German Sunday buffet does exist in Bangkok too, at "Deutsches Eck",  just across BEI OTTO, down a Soi near Asok intersection. The guy running the place used to be the manager of the OLD GERMAN BEERHOUSE in Suk 11, until he had to stop after having a stroke and he was ill for more than a year. He seems to be relatively okay again these days as I could experience myself when I was there in 2015 or so and it was quite okay, cost was 399 THB if I remember that right (yes still the same, I just checked their website. Maybe time to try that one again as it is not a 70-Minutes flight away).

And they have a Saturday BBQ Buffet at 499 THB that looks pretty much like the food on the OP's pics

Edited by siam2007
HUNGRY

8 hours ago, Dipterocarp said:

Wiener Schnitzel has nothing to do with sausage. It is a pan fried cutlet made from Veal.

Except that Auf der Au serves a pork steak schnitzel. Honestly, the schnitzel night is the least favorite of their buffets - in the opinion of my family at least. All the other nights are great.

That's fine but then it's Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein or nach Wiener Art.  I would not expect to find veal served in a Chiang Mai  buffet but certain dishes are officially recognized as a preparation and labeling it otherwise is not correct. Many people think Wienerschnitzel is a naff fast food restaurant serving hot dogs and burgers.

Edited by Dipterocarp

Betting there were a few more of TV's finest there today....

People started piling in about 12:45 but I hesitate to take pictures randomly uninvited at at groups of people....

It's a very good buffet with many choices in a limited space....My girls ate Thai style - in no particular order & enjoyed it all.....Only thing they wished they had was Thai chili's & seasonings.....We all ate our fill.....

But - by the first traffic light they were discussing what to have for dinner....

IMG20170219115758.jpg

IMG20170219115722.jpg

IMG20170219124945.jpg

14 minutes ago, jobin said:

In one of those photos i saw a table with only 4 folks sitting around.  The table is big enough for 8 surely.  

Plz owners, give hungry people a chance to eat and eat and eat.

If there are people, and room at other tables, the owner seats them together. We were given a large table with two other couples. No one needs starve.  :smile:

Edited by FolkGuitar

3 minutes ago, jobin said:

In one of those photos i saw a table with only 4 folks sitting around.  The table is big enough for 8 surely.  

Plz owners, give hungry people a chance to eat and eat and eat.

All the seats were pretty much filled with people refilling often

.....Not knowing anyone I didn't ask for a group photo....We got there before opening & the place was about 1/3 full...We stayed 1-1/2 hours & it was overflowing with incoming....I took the pics early....2/3-3/4 of the tables had reserved signs at opening when we arrived....

There was a long table at the front that might have been for overflow/drop in's as there was no reserved sign....

This was our first time there, so I'm guessing some come at 13:00 knowing others will be finishing up....I think they shut it down at 14:50/2:30.....

29 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

If there are people, and room at other tables, the owner seats them together. We were given a large table with two other couples. No one needs starve.  :smile:

Not one person I saw there looked remotely close to starving.....:shock1:.....