Thai Planned Parenthood unfazed by Trump's global gag order

webfact

Thai Planned Parenthood unfazed by Trump's global gag order

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — Trump or no Trump, Thailand’s chapter of the International Planned Parenthood Federation said it will continue to provide safe abortions, contraceptives and other reproductive health services as it has done for 40 years.

Responding to President Donald Trump’s executive order banning the U.S. from funding NGOs that refer to abortions as part of their family planning efforts, the director of the Planned Parenthood Association of Thailand said his organization is mostly funded by other sources, so any impact from the so-called “gag rule” should be minimal.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/02/14/thai-planned-parenthood-unfazed-trumps-global-gag-order/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-02-14

Good news, but many of these organizations around the world have received a lot of U.S. foreign Aid. In some poor communities such places are the only health care providers. Talking about general health care places that also may provide information about or perform abortions. Under far right wing extremist trump that has hypocritically caved to Christian fundamentalists, they lose ALL funding for ALL of their health services just for giving information about abortion. They are not even allowed to provide life saving health care for women that have obtained street abortions. As an American I say ... not in my name! :post-4641-1156693976:

It's interesting how aggressively the trump movement is against Islamic fundamentalist extremists yet they hypocritically promote Christian fundamentalist extremism. Against Islamic talibans ... for Christian talibans  ... how about being AGAINST both? 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good news, but many of these organizations around the world have received a lot of U.S. foreign Aid. In some poor communities such places are the only health care providers. Talking about general health care places that also may provide information about or perform abortions. Under far right wing extremist trump that has hypocritically caved to Christian fundamentalists, they lose ALL funding for ALL of their health services just for giving information about abortion. They are not even allowed to provide life saving health care for women that have obtained street abortions. As an American I say ... not in my name! :post-4641-1156693976:

It's interesting how aggressively the trump movement is against Islamic fundamentalist extremists yet they hypocritically promote Christian fundamentalist extremism. Against Islamic talibans ... for Christian talibans  ... how about being AGAINST both? 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Abortion is NOT "health care"!

I have no problem with abortion. I know it's a highly sensitive topic and if you are against abortion I totally respect your opinion. I don't want to fight over the aspects of legality or morality. My only thoughts on the topic are if you want or need an abortion, you pay for it. I don't believe taxpayers should be on the hook for abortion. 

1 minute ago, bkkgriz said:

I have no problem with abortion. I know it's a highly sensitive topic and if you are against abortion I totally respect your opinion. I don't want to fight over the aspects of legality or morality. My only thoughts on the topic are if you want or need an abortion, you pay for it. I don't believe taxpayers should be on the hook for abortion. 

If the baby turns into a future welfare recipient it could be money well spent. 

42 minutes ago, howbri said:

Yes, I will sort of concede that point except in cases where the mother's life is in danger from a pregnancy, but if you had read my post you would realize that I was focusing on all of the OTHER health care services many of these now cut off organizations are experiencing for "violations" as minor as giving information on abortion or providing life saving health care to women who are dying from botched street abortions.

To add abortions can also be seen as health care in the realistic context that if they are not done safely in professional clinical settings they will be done unsafely outside such settings.

This could have been done differently. They could have said, OK we won't fund abortions, but we'll still fund if you can document that the funds we send are not used for actually performing abortions. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I will sort of concede that point except in cases where the mother's life is in danger from a pregnancy, but if you had read my post you would realize that I was focusing on all of the OTHER health care services many of these not cut off organizations are experiencing for "violations" as minor as giving information on abortion or providing life saving health care to women who are dying from botched street abortions.

To add abortions can also be seen as health care in the realistic context that if they are not done safely in professional clinical settings they will be done unsafely outside such settings.

This could have been differently. They could have said, OK we won't fund abortions, but we'll still fund if you can document that the funds we send are not used for actually performing abortions. 

Cheers. 

Very reasonable position. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Indeed it is reasonable but the regressive extremists running the U.S. government now (all branches) are anything but reasonable. 

I have a feeling you and I differ on who are regressives back in the good old USA. But we can save that argument for another day. :smile:

This order doesn't just deny U.S. health care aid to foreign entities that actually provide abortions.

It denies U.S. health care aid to any foreign entities that even just talk about abortion as an option among others.

And...

The freeze applies even if the organizations use other sources of funding for these services.

Health experts say the policy has not led to a decline in abortions in the affected countries. Some research suggests that it has had the opposite effect: increasing abortion rates by forcing health clinics to close or to restrict contraceptive supplies because of lack of funding. Others say the restriction only heightens the risk of illegal and often unsafe abortions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/world/trump-ban-foreign-aid-abortions.html?_r=0

That's about as regressive as it's going to get.

5 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

Even if the woman's life is at stake due to implantation in the fallopian tube (and the foetus will die anyway) and the woman and her family have no money? Let them die? Just a question . . . 

35 minutes ago, gr8fldanielle said:

interesting considering that abortion is illegal in Thailand.

http://www.thailandlaw.org/legality-of-abortion-in-thailand.html

The Khaosod article has a different summary on that:

Under Thai law, doctors are allowed to perform abortion if the woman requesting it is deemed to suffer physical or mental problems, such as stress, from the pregnancy. The operation is performed in both state hospitals and private clinics such as those run by the PPAT, though health authorities generally do not openly discuss it.

Also from that link if contraception didn't work which of course anyone could just say.

Seems like a very fluid reading of illegal. 

Educating people to try to AVOID unwanted pregnancies is a great idea. But alas they do happen. A lot. 

Edited by Jingthing

its not just abortion funding its contraception funding. The world is overpopulated, access to family planning is important.

abortion isn't a cut a dried issue, what about a poor village girl who gets raped, should she have to have the child or pay for her abortion? What if you use contraception and it doesnt work? nothing is 100.

Personally I could not have an abortion, but what other people do with their bodies is not my business. Access to those services should be there. 

3 hours ago, howbri said:

It is, in fact, in some cases. And that is not even considering mental health of being forced to carry, give birth to and bear the financial/emotional burden of caring for a genetically formed being.

3 hours ago, bkkgriz said:

I understand your position, shall we now discuss covering healthcare costs of smokers? How about drinkers ... perhaps overeaters and the diabetic results? Well, guess you might think I take a broader view. It is not my business to impose my moral views on others short of over riding social interest issues  having secular reasoning (murder? yes, but not based of religious belief), can you understand the difference in my reasoning?

On 2/14/2017 at 8:19 PM, humqdpf said:

Even if the woman's life is at stake due to implantation in the fallopian tube (and the foetus will die anyway) and the woman and her family have no money? Let them die? Just a question . . . 

I believe there are exceptions already in place for those types of situations. We can play the what if game all night, but the fact is, too many people use abortion as a birth control method. Maybe a little education about contraception methods would be a better use of tax money.

Sure, maybe we could even make post birth abortion a thing too. Just in case people change their mind after the birth.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041398_post-birth_abortion_infanticide_Melissa_Harris-Perry.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html

Edited by bkkgriz
add links