Alternative satellite TV system?

aslimversgwm

3 minutes ago, Encid said:

You are welcome.

You will notice that your wifi coverage will improve as well.

These adapters not only provide a network port for LAN cable wherever you need it, but also extend and improve your wifi signal range.

As far as your comment on PulseTv is concerned, you do realise that you will need 1 STB box per TV?

The 10k baht package is a license to use on up to 4 STB's.

There are better options out there if you do some more research.

All are better and cheaper than TrueVisions.

Yep - I did realise it's another 4.5k baht for an extra STB but I'll just try it out 1st with 1 box, moving the box and extenders between the 2 TV's to see how it pans out be4 committing to 2 boxes.

I haven't found much else that's legally available with all the channels I want - I don't want any 'rip-off dodgy' options, if you see what I mean!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My AIS fibre router has to connect to the phone landline which is in my living room. My Pulse TV box is in my bedroom and connecting via the AIS wifi is not stable. If I get one of these adaptors am I right in thinking it will enable me to connect my Pulse TV box to the AIS router through an ethernet cable?

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My AIS fibre router has to connect to the phone landline which is in my living room. My Pulse TV box is in my bedroom and connecting via the AIS wifi is not stable. If I get one of these adaptors am I right in thinking it will enable me to connect my Pulse TV box to the AIS router through an ethernet cable?

Yes it will.

Just for clarity, you say that your fiber router is connected to the phone landline?

I can understand if it was an ADSL router, but a fiber router should be connected to a fiber optic cable.

Yes it will.

Just for clarity, you say that your fiber router is connected to the phone landline?
I can understand if it was an ADSL router, but a fiber router should be connected to a fiber optic cable.

Hmm. Maybe it's not fiber but that's what I was told it was. When I signed up they checked that my condo was cabled for AIS fiber.1487325021049.jpg.5e71416db55d300051a6681487325031433.jpg.033896708bdfd5343675471487325040864.jpg.c8016921a87bea6f7eadd8

Hi there all/.

Firstly i dumped my True visions T.V setup as before!

and i purchased Pulse TV. system now 2 weeks ago (2 boxes) system. After speaking with them, i also bought a T.P link adaptor kit from Lazada. I moved my internet box, so it was a direct hookup via lan cable to my T.V set downstairs (no buffering at all now) when connected through wifi had some slight issues sometime! 

My T.V upstairs is still through wifi and shows nearly full bars on the wifi signal- sometimes it has buffering problems not very often? though! i am yet to fit my T.P link system yet?

Does the T.P Link adaptor? use much electric? it tells me when fitted and connected that  when the device is not runing it goes into saving mode! saving 80% electric (which would be most of the night/day) as i only watch this T.V in the evening?

any idea what difference is on power usage this device would make? noticing it would be sitting idol most of the time?

thank you!

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Hmm. Maybe it's not fiber but that's what I was told it was. When I signed up they checked that my condo was cabled for AIS fiber.

That is not a fiber optic cable.

That is a telephone cable therefore ADSL.

Just out of interest what is the label under the port on your router where the telephone cable plugs in?

That's immaterial anyway to the discussion on extending your network... on the back of your router are several unused ports - blue, orange and grey.

The photo is not clear enough to read the labels under the ports... can you please list them here?

One of those ports could be used to connect LAN cable to the TP-Link adapter.

My guess would be to use one of the orange ports.

Edited by Encid

7 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

Does the T.P Link adaptor? use much electric? it tells me when fitted and connected that  when the device is not runing it goes into saving mode! saving 80% electric (which would be most of the night/day) as i only watch this T.V in the evening?

The adapter does not consume any noticeable power.

Your monthly electric bill will not be affected.

7 minutes ago, Martinpeter said:

My T.V upstairs is still through wifi and shows nearly full bars on the wifi signal- sometimes it has buffering problems not very often? though! i am yet to fit my T.P link system yet?

If you have no buffering downstairs the TP-Link adapter used upstairs will eliminate the buffering there too.

A hard-wired solution is always better than Wi-Fi.

That is not a fiber optic cable.
That is a telephone cable therefore ADSL.
Just out of interest what is the label under the port on your router where the telephone cable plugs in?

That's immaterial anyway to the discussion on extending your network... on the back of your router are several unused ports - blue, orange and grey.
The photo is not clear enough to read the labels under the ports... can you please list them here?
One of those ports could be used to connect LAN cable to the TP-Link adapter.
My guess would be to use one of the orange ports.

DSL is the port that connects to the phone landline socket.

The larger blue port is labelled WAN and the 4 orange ports are labelled LAN 1-4.

DSL is the port that connects to the phone landline socket.

The larger blue port is labelled WAN and the 4 orange ports are labelled LAN 1-4.

So it's confirmed that you do have ADSL not fiber.

Any of the orange LAN ports could be used to connect to the TP-Link adapter.

By the way, if you buy a starter kit like the one shown in the link to Lazada's webpage with the TP-Link Powerline Range Extender, it comes with 2 x 1m LAN cables so you don't need to buy any more.

So it's confirmed that you do have ADSL not fiber.

Any of the orange LAN ports could be used to connect to the TP-Link adapter.
By the way, if you buy a starter kit like the one shown in the link to Lazada's webpage with the TP-Link Powerline Range Extender, it comes with 2 x 1m LAN cables so you don't need to buy any more.

Thanks for your help. I'm not impressed with AIS as I was definitely told my building was set up for fiber, which is why I migrated from True. No wonder they undercut True's price by 50%!

Thanks for your help. I'm not impressed with AIS as I was definitely told my building was set up for fiber, which is why I migrated from True. No wonder they undercut True's price by 50%!

You are welcome.

I would be asking AIS exactly what they have installed as you were expecting fiber.

What package did they tell you that you are on?

What speeds to expect?

Have you tested your speed against a speed test site like testmy.net?

What are your download/upload speeds to a server in say Singapore and London?

You may find that your access speeds are OK for streaming TV and you don't really need fiber... ADSL may be sufficient.

9 minutes ago, Encid said:

You are welcome.

I would be asking AIS exactly what they have installed as you were expecting fiber.

What package did they tell you that you are on?

What speeds to expect?

Have you tested your speed against a speed test site like testmy.net?

What are your download/upload speeds to a server in say Singapore and London?

You may find that your access speeds are OK for streaming TV and you don't really need fiber... ADSL may be sufficient.

in thailand i have 50 mbps down 5 up, in phils i hav 8mbps down 1 up, both are fine for streaming 720 on kodi exodus.

you should be able to stream 720 on about 5 mbps.

this is according to netflix but is pretty good as a rule of thumb for exodus as well

• 500 Kbps – lowest required speed for streaming.
  • 1.5 Mbps – recommended speed for quality viewing.
  • 3 Mbps – Standard Definition video.
  • 5-8 Mbps – 720p and 1080p High Definition.
  • 25 Mbps – 4K Ultra High Definition.

6 hours ago, HooHaa said:

and fibre could be routed to your building and sent to your room via ethernet

Most likely it's FTTB (Fiber To The Building), then high-speed vDSL to the subscribers using existing copper pair cabling.  Same speed and reliable connections as direct fiber, without the cost of running different cabling.

They do fudge a little on the set-top-box sticker, but it's Fibre service most of the way.

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

A lot of viewing choices streamed live on YouTube through a smart tv.

Unfortunately I, like many others I suspect, don't have a smart TV.

Touch wood - my existing Toshiba and Sony TV's are still in good working order and my budget doesn't stretch to new smart TV,  just yet.

I doubt YouTube would provide live, daily BBC , ITV, CNN or Al Jazeera news coverage to say nothing of the other channels like Discovery, History, Animal Planet or Nat Geog., which I do actually need!
Perhaps a smart TV could have an advantage as I assume a separate STB wouldn't be needed to run the likes of PulseTV or ExpatTV? I don't honestly know!

21 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

I haven't found much else that's legally available with all the channels I want - I don't want any 'rip-off dodgy' options, if you see what I mean!

Errr Pulse TV's website doesn't include a business address, registration number etc. I think you can assume it's dodgy.

2 minutes ago, taotoo said:

Errr Pulse TV's website doesn't include a business address, registration number etc. I think you can assume it's dodgy.

Every IPTV that offers Sky sports or the like for streaming in Thailand is dodgy, as there is no legal way to make Sky sports available.

That said, the end user will never have to fear anything, as it would be an impossible task to trace all of them and then prove they use the service.

Every IPTV that offers Sky sports or the like for streaming in Thailand is dodgy, as there is no legal way to make Sky sports available.

That said, the end user will never have to fear anything, as it would be an impossible task to trace all of them and then prove they use the service.

Yes. If you want to be 100% legal you're pretty much stuck with Truevisions or AIS playbox. Only Truevisions have the football though.

Unfortunately I, like many others I suspect, don't have a smart TV.
Touch wood - my existing Toshiba and Sony TV's are still in good working order and my budget doesn't stretch to new smart TV,  just yet.
I doubt YouTube would provide live, daily BBC , ITV, CNN or Al Jazeera news coverage to say nothing of the other channels like Discovery, History, Animal Planet or Nat Geog., which I do actually need!
Perhaps a smart TV could have an advantage as I assume a separate STB wouldn't be needed to run the likes of PulseTV or ExpatTV? I don't honestly know!

Al Jazeera

Sky News

By no means all that you're looking for but it's a start

21 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Perhaps a smart TV could have an advantage as I assume a separate STB wouldn't be needed to run the likes of PulseTV or ExpatTV?

Smart TV's aren't all that smart vs the STB you can get and difficult to upgrade... If budget allows get the Smart TV as always convenient to have one remote but for more options plugging in the STB is way to go?

I guess that I would be one to disagree that True Visions is a waist of money for me.  I have three boxes, pay for two, the third one is free.  I also have the Platinum Package, so my monthly charges is 2592.78 baht.  Yes they have cancelled HBO and replaced them with other channels, most of the channels that were replaced when they contracted with HBO.  However the re-runs that were constantly playing over and aver again on the HBO channels and cinemax are now playing on the replacement channels along with reruns of programs that were on the other channels before HBO.  There are actually some new series showing on the Sony channel.  But I mostly watch CNN and  live sports and they show sports live, all be it in the middle of the night.  I just watched the Welsh open Snooker final this morning, second session started at 0200, Bingham won in an extremely good match!  They show EPL, American football, Rugby, NBA, Baseball, and many more.

I have to have DSTV as any streaming options are out for me due to my remote location and one of the set top boxes is on 24/7 as I have them wired into my home stereo system, 6 speakers, and when not watching TV I use one of the music channels, channel 701,  which is non stop continuous soft hit music 24/7.  So I am listening to, and enjoying, either TV or music from True 24/7 and think that it is a wise investment for me.

And at my age, there are less re-runs and I never eat leftovers!

•  

On 2/19/2017 at 9:23 AM, Digitalbanana said:

If budget allows get the Smart TV as always convenient to have one remote but for more options plugging in the STB is way to go?

My new H96 Pro android set top box has HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) which lets the remote control of a television set directly control the connected HDMI device.

Didn't even know it had such a feature until I had to go looking for the reason my H96 selecting the shutdown screen right after startup (as if someone hit the power button on the remote). Discovered the CEC setting and enabled it and it stopped the odd behavior -and- lets me use the Sony TV remote in lieu of the set top box remote. Nice.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:51 PM, aslimversgwm said:

just ordered it - many thanks for the link. Very easy to use website - so clear and straightforward.

I chose express, cash on delivery - it arrives on Sunday.

Thanks again for your time and patience!

TP-Link AV500 kit has arrived and is installed - AOK!

Easy-peasy to install - just plug and play - no  buttons to press - nothing!

I haven't bought PulseTV yet - will do end of the week, but tested the powerline extender wifi up in my bedroom where the STB will be connected to my TV when it arrives, using my Samsung J7 mobile and it pinged up far better than using my router's wifi . So it is all looking most promising.

Many thanks for continued help with this. 

40 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

TP-Link AV500 kit has arrived and is installed - AOK!

:thumbsup:

And your IPTV box will work even better once it's plugged directly into the TP-Link adapter.