Penang SETV

Collecting my SETV this afternoon. 

Thought id post for info;

The Penang Consulate now require onward flights and hotel/rental agreement

i used Jim's place. 

I had a bank statement printout ready but Jim didnt want it. 

I hadnt heard that Penang was asking for documents, and previously (aug 16) nothing was required. 

If you DIY it is only 2 passport fotos & a fotocopy. She asked me where I was staying even tho I wrote it on the form. In at 10am , out at 10.14. 2 guys to help people fill in the form.

I couldn't find a net cafe on Chulia with a working printer. Am at NetCity on Burma Road. Printer working.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 10:23 AM, my friend I said:

If you DIY it is only 2 passport fotos & a fotocopy. She asked me where I was staying even tho I wrote it on the form. In at 10am , out at 10.14. 2 guys to help people fill in the form.

I couldn't find a net cafe on Chulia with a working printer. Am at NetCity on Burma Road. Printer working.

When (date) did you apply, that they did not require the proof-of-hotel and flight-ticket out?   This is a new development in Penang, so just checking if you received yours before this began. 

Also, did you have many previous, recent Thai Visas in your passport?  Some have reported having to pay 2000 to 3000 baht extra to agents to get a visa in Penang recently, if they had several recent Thai Visas (from anywhere) in their passport.

7 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

Booked my train ticket to Penang before seeing this.

Any suggestions on getting around these requirements?

I stay at my son's house in Nonthaburi. Thanks in advance.

A letter from your son might work - but providing a printout of an online (free) hotel booking might be more of a "sure thing" for that part.  A flight out could be the ticket you intend to use for your next visa-run - or a throwaway ticket.  It appears the agents cannot "get around" these.  If you tried, they'd probably charge an extra fee and then make a hotel-booking and purchase a $10 "flyonward.com" automatically-expiring temporary air-ticket.  It is probably cheaper to prepare the documents yourself, and provide your own "non-auto-expiring" air-ticket.

Edited by JackThompson

27 minutes ago, sanook 1 said:

Just got back from penang today with a new setv(my 3 rd). They didnt ask me or anyone else about ticket out,financial proof or rental contract. This is just some bs the agents there have come up with to make some moore money,by interest i went in to 3 different agents on chulia street and asked,sure enough they all asked for this or it could be "sorted" without these documents for 150 ringit...But the embassy only ask for passport,copy passport,application and 2 photos. same as before,nothing changed there. screw the agents.

Don't they charge 150 Ringit anyway? I may be wrong, so they were asking for 300 to "sort it" regarding tickets out etc?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanook 1 said:

Just got back from penang today with a new setv(my 3 rd). They didnt ask me or anyone else about ticket out,financial proof or rental contract. This is just some bs the agents there have come up with to make some moore money,by interest i went in to 3 different agents on chulia street and asked,sure enough they all asked for this or it could be "sorted" without these documents for 150 ringit...But the embassy only ask for passport,copy passport,application and 2 photos. same as before,nothing changed there. screw the agents.

they dont make anything extra if I supply the documents.

Anyway, its good to know that doing it yourself doesn't have these requirements.

Its possible I guess that coming through an agent they aren't seeing you, cant question you so have asked the agents for this, who knows?

Cost me 340b for the flight ticket, and the visa was free, so even I went myself I think I'd still have the paperwork at hand, just incase

58 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Don't they charge 150 Ringit anyway? I may be wrong, so they were asking for 300 to "sort it" regarding tickets out etc?

The visa is free until august,they(agent)normally charge 40 ringit for the service,and now an aditional 150(+40) Total 190 ringit if you dont "have the right documents"-which  you dont need..the embassy dont ask for them. 

There have been reports in the past of consulates being stricter with agency submissions- in Cambodia in particular IIRC. So it is possible they have lower requirements if you turn up in person. Good to know that they aren't requiring that stuff if you do it yourself, Penang was never busy in my experience, was always very quick and pleasant.

Just back from Penang today.

Went myself with 2 passport photos my son's residence book and a letter from my government

to me at that address,  no onward journey was asked for.

The girl at the window next to me was asking for onward journey tickets, but seemed pretty flexible about

where they were staying in that she didn't push it too far.

The worst was coming back to Thailand at the Padang Basar border.

It was very quiet when I got there with only 3 or 4 tourists.

The head Immigration honcho had all tourists go to his office for the stamp.

He went on about the need for 20,000 baht cash or a bank statement [issued on the day] showing that amount.

I showed him my bankbook that had more than enough in it.

I convinced him that it was not possible to get a statement from a Thai bank in Malaysia and he let me through.

My advice is to have the documents that they are requesting and be polite, but stern.

Further to all that DON'T go there by train, unless you have 5 or 6 days to spare.

As unlike the turn of the last century, I love being able to use that phrase, Thai and Malaysian trains don't meet each other.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Freed1948 said:

Thank you for the updated report. 

The key info I see here, is that Pedang Besar is now asking for 20K Baht to show.  I am surprised they will accept a bank-book, as that is usually not accepted at border-crossings.  Having well over the minimum-sum could be helpful, but having 20K worth of old-fashioned travelers checks will never be questioned.  Also, knowing the address of where you will be staying seems to be an important issue, recently.

As to sometimes or not requesting the onward-flight to show in Penang, this requirement may depend on how many prior Thai tourist-visas they see in your passport - though that is just a guess.

20 minutes ago, sanook 1 said:

So conclusion is, if you do it by yourself nothing has changed,just passport,copy passport and 2 photos. But if you use the agents you will need to supply additional documents(i asked at jims place and he confirmed this).

21 hours ago, Freed1948 said:

The girl at the window next to me was asking for onward journey tickets

If thats how you read the above, then yes. 

I see it as you may be asked. Easier to have and not need than vice versa imo

• Like 2

Yesterday a lot of people (mostly russians, it seemed) were asked about onward tickets and hotel reservations. A copy/photo/booking minivan situated just outside the entrance was happy to provide all that at a cost.

Some of the applicants were with agents which were apparently clueless about the embassy requirements somehow. Very chaotic, a lot of running in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 3:51 PM, Freed1948 said:

Went myself with 2 passport photos my son's residence book and a letter from my government

to me at that address,  no onward journey was asked for.

The girl at the window next to me was asking for onward journey tickets, but seemed pretty flexible about

where they were staying in that she didn't push it too far.

The worst was coming back to Thailand at the Padang Basar border.

It was very quiet when I got there with only 3 or 4 tourists.

The head Immigration honcho had all tourists go to his office for the stamp.

He went on about the need for 20,000 baht cash or a bank statement [issued on the day] showing that amount.

I showed him my bankbook that had more than enough in it.

I convinced him that it was not possible to get a statement from a Thai bank in Malaysia and he let me through.

My advice is to have the documents that they are requesting and be polite, but stern.

Further to all that DON'T go there by train, unless you have 5 or 6 days to spare.

As unlike the turn of the last century, I love being able to use that phrase, Thai and Malaysian trains don't meet each other.

What happens to someone refused entry? Do they have to go back to Malaysia & explain why they were refused entry & ask for reentry?

There are 3 Thai trains to and from Padang every day. They all connect with Malay trains. There are a lot more trains than that in Malaysia so they don't all meet the Thai trains.

1 hour ago, my friend I said:

What happens to someone refused entry? Do they have to go back to Malaysia & explain why they were refused entry & ask for reentry?

There are 3 Thai trains to and from Padang every day. They all connect with Malay trains. There are a lot more trains than that in Malaysia so they don't all meet the Thai trains.

Assuming you have time left on the permission-to-stay you received when entering Malaysia, they would cancel your exit-stamp, and your original permission-of-stay would continue to run.

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning to get a SETV at Penang next month, when in Thailand I stay in my own condo which is in my name, could anyone advise me if it would be acceptable give a copy of my condo charnote and blue book instead of a hotel booking/rental agreement?

Thanks

I was at the Penang consulate some day ago, I already have 3 SETV from 2015-2016 from this place.

They asked for a copy of onward flightticket,  didnt mention anything about rental or hotel booking,

Everything went smooth as usual.

• Like 2

I was at the Penang consulate some day ago, I already have 3 SETV from 2015-2016 from this place.

They asked for a copy of onward flightticket,  didnt mention anything about rental or hotel booking,

Everything went smooth as usual.

On 03/03/2017 at 10:37 AM, JackThompson said:

Assuming you have time left on the permission-to-stay you received when entering Malaysia, they would cancel your exit-stamp, and your original permission-of-stay would continue to run.

That's exactly what happened when I was refused a few years back, you just go back to the Malaysian side and they cross out your exit stamp. I just had to spend one night in Malaysia and then Thailand let me back in.

• 5 weeks later...

Just to update, I got my SETV at Penang, I provided the completed application form, 2 passport photo's, visa fee, passport copy and onward flight e-ticket.

I went armed with a copy of e-ticket for my next flight out of Thailand as well as copies of my condo charnot, blue-book, recent electric bill and a letter from my condo office stating I stay there, as well as a copy of my Thai bank book and a print out of my home country bank statement, both showing a decent balance.

They gave me back all the additional documents apart from the e-ticket of the next flight out of Thailand so at least when I visited earlier this month only proof of the onward ticket was required.

This is my second SETV from Penang (not back to back) and I was traveling in and out by air.

Hope that helps.

Edited by jay1980
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Is it fair to assume that only the e-ticket is what they are after?

I was never asked for anything over the years btw

I never assume anything TBH, but this was the case earlier this month, last year this was not required for me also.

22 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

Is it fair to assume that only the e-ticket is what they are after?

I was never asked for anything over the years btw

yes. it's just started end of february 2017. At thai consulate outside, there is a van, they can book a air ticket for you! it is pretty easy and much much cheaper than agent in town :)

On 2/16/2017 at 11:23 AM, my friend I said:

Hi, there is a van outside thai consulate. they provided internet wifi, printing service, visa instant photo, document copy, bus trip and air ticket booking if you need. cheers

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, danielbehcy said:

There is 26 countries visa fee still free until August2017.

It is not for 26 countries. It is only for the 19 countries whose citizens can get a 15 day visa on arrival and the majority of those can only apply for tourist visas in their home country.