Finnish tourist stabbed in the back by "Thai men" in Jomtien

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, toenail said:

I have lived in North Pattaya & never encountered abuse . -But I usually go to sleep by 10 pm because I work 20 minutes from Pattaya. If I do hit the night life on weekends, I make sure I return to my apartment before 2am. If I am on a song-taew with obnoxious drunks, I get off & hop on another song-taew or take a motor bike taxi. If a Thai pisses me off, I do not raise my voice or try to get even ( Isaan & South Thailand men easily go ballistic). I limit my beer consumption to 6 beers ( my limit). Pattaya is a fun party town but you need to use some common sense. 

' common sense'....Got it in one, but is not as common as people think :)

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I lived in Pattaya for fifteen years, how did I survive? Was very lucky according to some posters here! never had any problems, mind I wasnt driving around at 2am on a motorcycle drunk with no shirt on! non smoker as well :)

do smokers get stabbed in the back? what's smoking got to do with it?lol

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

Chiangmai isnt exactly Nakon nowhere but yes it is far safer than Pattaya and it isnt exactly boring..  we can even walk the streets without fear or being hassled by ladyboys and prostitutes.

You've clearly never been to certain bars and complexes on Loi Kroh then :)

1 minute ago, pattayadude said:

do smokers get stabbed in the back? what's smoking got to do with it?lol

I found it "amusing" that he needed a "smoke" despite his wounds in the video, did you watch it?

& as a reformed smoker I like to have a dig at smokers whenever possible! :smile:

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Why on earth do people go to Pattaya

Because Pattaya / Jomtien is beautiful, Mini Siam, beautiful Acquarium,

great golf, wonderful shopping malls, 30 min boat ride to Khao Larn,

wonderful restaurants, .....all you hear about here are the Drunk ass

ho..s.  Only 1 1/2 hours to BKK.  So many positive things....only mentioned

a few !!

I guess I be wasting my time replying to this topic to many Thai good doers here

being nearly 70 years of age having lived in Germany for about 25 years, in Australia

for 40  the rest in Thailand, I have never being robbed, assaulted or burgled all my

life but in the short few years in Thailand I have been assaulted many times being 

broking in to 4 times and had one of my units destroyed by fire, lost every thing  

and I did not live in Pattaya Thailand is a dangerous place to live

Sorry guys this is the trues  

5 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

If not Pattaya, where exactly in Thailand is this hell-hole you lived ?

5 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

If not Pattaya, where exactly in Thailand is this hell-hole you lived ?

As I  said  no point talking about it nobody believes anything on here

I did live in Ratchaburi  

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

As I  said  no point talking about it nobody believes anything on here

I did live in Ratchaburi  

it's not only Thailand that has gotten more violent and crime ridden. Most  countries in Africa, South America, Europe and Asia have gotten worse during the past 10 years.Even Scandinavian countries! The world is getting more dangerous because there's more of us in a smaller shared space, migration and dwindling resources

20 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

After 36 years here I would have to say it is the safest place I have ever lived, and I include the whole of Thailand. The most dangerous place I ever lived was America, where 11 people were murdered on the streets within 100 yards of my apartment in the last 2 months that I was there ! When you walk out in many American cities at night you are risking your life.

I was once told that Americans being mostly anglo saxon are homicidal, they love to kill. Please I didn't say it, I just repeat what I heard from a white guy of all the people.

I've been beaten by an English ex-boxer, conned by a white South African, pick pocketed by ladyboys on beach road but never had a serious problem with thai guys. Well with them I prefer to back off if things are not looking safe. I just love Pattaya and consider it a safer place to live than a Thai island I lived on before. There it was scary if the locals had some issue with farangs.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

One of the things my wife asked me when we met back in the US, was "have you ever been to Pattaya?", my answer was "What is Pattaya?". She told me if I had ever been there or visited there, she would have never dated me. I think that says all i need to know about Pattaya, the constant news articles of late-night bar fights, attacks on foreigners, robberies, prostitution, drugs, and less than savory characters that seem to frequent there, leaves me not really seeing the appeal. I am assuming this is the seedy side of Thailand, which I have no interest in seeing, so I doubt I will ever visit.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

One suspects that those who live there do not frequent the known trouble spots and in that regard it's no different from Bangkok. For tourists, its mystifying: I went for 3 days in 1983, never been back. Perhaps it's better these days.

Speedy recovery, Finnish man.

One of the things my wife asked me when we met back in the US, was "have you ever been to Pattaya?", my answer was "What is Pattaya?". She told me if I had ever been there or visited there, she would have never dated me. I think that says all i need to know about Pattaya, the constant news articles of late-night bar fights, attacks on foreigners, robberies, prostitution, drugs, and less than savory characters that seem to frequent there, leaves me not really seeing the appeal. I am assuming this is the seedy side of Thailand, which I have no interest in seeing, so I doubt I will ever visit.

The seedy dangerous side to Thailand is hardly limited to Pattaya.

19 hours ago, jesimps said:

Quite simple really, it's the best place in Thailand. I haven't been attacked in my ten years of living here. Do people not get hurt elsewhere?

About 40 years ago when I was on holiday in Hong Kong, the middle age lady who cleaned my hotel room told me to have lot of cash on me when I went out. She said if the robber try to rob you but found that you didn't have much money on you he would stab you with a knife. She said the robber was angry you wasted his time . She spoke to me in cantonese, the dialect spoken in Hong Kong

How's that compare to Thailand?

I never went back to Hong Kong again, just too many people on a small piece of rock.

4 minutes ago, davethailand said:

The seedy dangerous side to Thailand is hardly limited to Pattaya.

Other than the deep south, which I also have no intention of visiting, I would say Chumphon (Lomprayah Pier area) is as far down the coast as i will get to the south.

One suspects that those who live there do not frequent the known trouble spots and in that regard it's no different from Bangkok. For tourists, its mystifying: I went for 3 days in 1983, never been back. Perhaps it's better these days.
Speedy recovery, Finnish man.

Trouble spots?
As mentioned by someone earlier common sense is needed that's all.
I dare say the same as late at night in samui, Phuket, bkk etc.
I lived there 13 years and personally never had a problem.
:)

PF- why you live in the projects?

i would say most Americans would not know anyone who has been murdered...

some people just make mistakes in choosing where they live or born into it...

who in the hell would want to live in pattaya? Not well balanced or character issues....

47 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

it's not only Thailand that has gotten more violent and crime ridden. Most  countries in Africa, South America, Europe and Asia have gotten worse during the past 10 years.Even Scandinavian countries! The world is getting more dangerous because there's more of us in a smaller shared space, migration and dwindling resources

Overpopulation. It's amazing the problem of this magnitude gets so little coverage. Coupled with urbanization it's a surefire way to conflicts and eventual culling. 

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

You seem to derive all your knowlege of Pattaya from news headlines. I bet you are dying to visit? Why else the fascination? Come on, own up. Nobody here will tell your wife. Promise.

5 minutes ago, champers said:

You seem to derive all your knowlege of Pattaya from news headlines. I bet you are dying to visit? Why else the fascination? Come on, own up. Nobody here will tell your wife. Promise.

She'll know.... they always find out... damnit!!!