Singapore visa run 2017

Hello!

Has anyone done a same-day visa run through Singapore lately? Flights from Phuket are extremely cheap and it seems like a convenient option.

But I've read a story that some guy got locked up in a cell when he tried to do that in 2016:

https://coconuts.co/jakarta/news/warning-visa-runs-singapore-may-no-longer-be-safe-sacha-stevensons-friend-finds-out-hard/

(although he flew in from Indonesia).

Just bought the tickets and am a little worried.

Edited by ethaniel

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have never heard of anybody traveling form here having a problem on entry to Singapore.

There have been reports of people entering the country at Phuket having problems if they had already did an out/in for a new visa exempt entry before.

Thank you. Can you share some info on Phuket? Do they ask people to show cash or what?

17 minutes ago, ethaniel said:

Thank you. Can you share some info on Phuket? Do they ask people to show cash or what?

If questioned they could want to see the equivalent of 20k baht and/or a ticket out of the country. They could even ask for proof you are not working here by showing funds coming from outside the country.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If questioned they could want to see the equivalent of 20k baht and/or a ticket out of the country. They could even ask for proof you are not working here by showing funds coming from outside the country.

I've read online that if you enter Singapore and get a transit visa in the airport, they will not allow you to board a plane back to the same country where you came from.

Weird. Any info on this?

3 hours ago, ethaniel said:

I've read online that if you enter Singapore and get a transit visa in the airport, they will not allow you to board a plane back to the same country where you came from.

Weird. Any info on this?

There would be no transit visa to get. You go through  Singapore immigration and get a visa exempt entry. Then check in for your return flight and go through departure immigration.

I don't recall any reports a person being denied entry because they had a return flight for the same day. I cannot see how they could do that since there are probably many people that make day trips to there for business purposes.

• Like 2

Was told by Cebu Pacific that I could only clear Singapore Immigration at Changi Airport once per day.

Situation was quite different though as I live in Singapore, their flight was delayed by 5 hours & I was already airside so wanted to go back into Singapore & check-in for a flight with somebody else thus clearing immigration &  leaving the country twice in the same day.

Have flown into Singapore with my Filipina gf one evening & we've caught a flight out early the next morning (less than 10 hrs later) with no problems save the immigration officer asking her why she was only staying for 1 day & wanted to see her exit ticket & he did write the Date & Time of her flight on the stamp in her passport, she was only on an SVP (Social Visitors Pass) which is what any visitor to Singapore gets, so no additional privileges of entry though I think it helped me being with her & being able to show my EP & same flights booked for the following day

similar topic:

Has anyone tried their new online visa application? Supposedly mandatory starting in March 2017.

I'm concerned you file online then told to wait until it changes application state but due to bugs may not do so :P

also curious if can fill online before arriving in Singapore or not

similar topic:

Has anyone tried their new online visa application? Supposedly mandatory starting in March 2017.

I'm concerned you file online then told to wait until it changes application state but due to bugs may not do so [emoji14]

also curious if can fill online before arriving in Singapore or not

I've no experience of filing for a Visa online (Sg only has Tourist Visas for approx 30 countries, where are you from?) but my gf has used the "Extend" online application a couple of times & it's always given an answer the next day.

Singapore online stuff is very efficient & reliable so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't do what it says on the tin :)

4 hours ago, JB300 said:

I've no experience of filing for a Visa online (Sg only has Tourist Visas for approx 30 countries, where are you from?) but my gf has used the "Extend" online application a couple of times & it's always given an answer the next day.

Singapore online stuff is very efficient & reliable so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't do what it says on the tin :)

I would normally agree, except several of the links on the Thai Embassy Website in Singapore are broken :P

I would normally agree, except several of the links on the Thai Embassy Website in Singapore are broken [emoji14]

Sorry mate, I thought you were asking about a Singapore Tourist Visa which is why I was surprised as tthey're only available for approx 30 countries & its not a good thing being on that list!

Thai Embassy here is not great so I wouldnt trust their website with anything that mattered.

3 hours ago, JB300 said:

Sorry mate, I thought you were asking about a Singapore Tourist Visa which is why I was surprised as tthey're only available for approx 30 countries & its not a good thing being on that list!

Thai Embassy here is not great so I wouldnt trust their website with anything that mattered.

Ah yes, sorry, my bad.  I might have done something naughty in the conversation on this thread :(

But yes, their website is questionable.  And sadly, e-mail responses from the staff only suggest to go look at the web site :)

Ok. We just completed a visa run: Phuket - Singapore - Phuket.

We used the lowcoster JetStar.

1. At the Phuket airport the JetStar Airline lady at the counter asked us how long we're going to stay in Singapore (1 day) and which country we're flying to next (Thailand).
  2. Then she asked for our Singapore Visa. Which we obtained through a online agent earlier that day. I assume she wouldn't let us board without it.
  3. We arrived to Singapore and had absolutely no problems at the border.
  4. Since we had no luggage, we checked in online and simply printed our boarding tickets at the kiosk in the Singapore airport the next day. No need to go to check-in desk (and possibly be questioned about a thailand visa / onward flight from Thailand).

Our whole visa run took less than 24 hours. 

• Like 1

On 17.02.2017 at 7:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

There would be no transit visa to get. You go through  Singapore immigration and get a visa exempt entry. Then check in for your return flight and go through departure immigration.

I don't recall any reports a person being denied entry because they had a return flight for the same day. I cannot see how they could do that since there are probably many people that make day trips to there for business purposes.

You are wrong sorry. To get a transit visa in Singapore you need to leave to a 3rd country. The airline check-in desk will not allow you to board if you don't have a visa and have a return flight to the same country.

You might also encounter problems at Singapore immigration. It's better to apply online for a normal visa a few days before.

49 minutes ago, ethaniel said:

You are wrong sorry. To get a transit visa in Singapore you need to leave to a 3rd country. The airline check-in desk will not allow you to board if you don't have a visa and have a return flight to the same country.

You might also encounter problems at Singapore immigration. It's better to apply online for a normal visa a few days before.

Done it loads of times

Ok. We just completed a visa run: Phuket - Singapore - Phuket.

We used the lowcoster JetStar.

1. At the Phuket airport the JetStar Airline lady at the counter asked us how long we're going to stay in Singapore (1 day) and which country we're flying to next (Thailand).
  2. Then she asked for our Singapore Visa. Which we obtained through a online agent earlier that day. I assume she wouldn't let us board without it.
  3. We arrived to Singapore and had absolutely no problems at the border.
  4. Since we had no luggage, we checked in online and simply printed our boarding tickets at the kiosk in the Singapore airport the next day. No need to go to check-in desk (and possibly be questioned about a thailand visa / onward flight from Thailand).
Our whole visa run took less than 24 hours. 

Where are you from (passport?) Singapore only issues Visas for approx 30 countries, the vast majority of people get an SVP (Social Visit Pass) on Arrival so I can't see any airline asking to see a Visa.

Some do ask to see your flight out, have had a couple of incidents where I've had to explain to them that I don't need a flight out as I'm returning home #i bl@@dy live there# but less than 0.1% of people need a Visa to enter Singapore

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:18 AM, ethaniel said:

Weird. Any info on this?

How do business men fly in on the 6 am flight from Perth West OZ, do their  business deals,  then return the same day  on the afternoon flight, bearing in mind flying time between the two cities is 5 hrs with I think  6 flights a day ? 

Edited by chainarong