Boxed wine

cnxgary

Much of the “wine” in Thailand is adulterated in a manner which would be deemed highly illegal in any normal country. Unfortunately Thailand is in the grip of a highly organised alcohol producing pressure group (or Mafia if you prefer) which controls the market and the government.

This situation is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

As far as I know all the boxed wine in Thailand is adulterated. The only safe bet for genuine wine is to pay through the nose for something that is definitely bottled abroad.

All you need to know about this disgraceful scam is contained in this article:

http://www.thebigchilli.com/news/fruit-wine-is-it-for-real

Edited by mrjohn

"Fruit wine" as the article here cited means wine made that is fermented from a mixture of grape juice and the juices of other fruits. It does not mean that after the grape wine is made it is then mixed with raw fruit juice like a wine cooler  (though this type of foul drink also exists here and is sometimes sold in wine bottle shaped containers).

This article suggests an 80% grape: 20% other fruit juice mixture is a common starting point for making the wine.  There is no intrinsic reason why this should taste bad, or worse than a fully grape-based wine (although it can of course).

I don't see how this is a scam: making fruit wines, for example elderberry, blackcurrant, and so on is a hobby in the UK.  Elderberry is known to produce a richer, fuller-bodied wine and in France some poor weak vintage grapes have elderberries added to actually improve body, colour and taste, as is referenced in this link:

https://winemakermag.com/841-elderberry-wine

"Sometimes referred to as the “Englishman’s grape,” the common elderberry has been used to make wine for hundreds — possibly thousands — of years. By themselves, elderberries make a rich, flavorful wine, but they have long been added to other fruit and berry wines, including grape, to add color, tannin and complexity. Indeed, over the years, several “scandals” occurred when commercial wineries were discovered to have adulterated their grape wines by adding elderberry to improve their color."

Edited by partington

If they were only using elderberry it wouldnt be so bad.Take the taste test some fruit wines here are almost undrinkable and I'm no wine snob trust me.

I know when I hit Oz I will be able to buy a bottle for $7 (180 baht) that will be so superior its not funny.in the $15 -$30 range I will truly be in heaven:smile:

17 hours ago, cnxgary said:

Is there any boxed wine ( 3,4 or 5 litre ) that does NOT contain fruit juice?

The only non-fruit juice boxed wine I know of here is Fleur De Galetis (red or rosé ) at about 800 baht for 3 litres. It appears to be a French wine. There's not much info on the label but the absence of the ubiquitous "Siam Winery" brand seems confirm that it is a true import.

Tesco Lotus have it - maybe Makro too.

I have only tried the rosé . It was drinkable but that is all (well, preferable to any of the usual white "fruit-juice-added suspects). I've looked for the red but never found it.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:12 AM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Jacobs creek is 5 USD in the States....about 700 THB here....that, chess, and 9000 THB new balance....disgusting.

Jacobs Creek is widely sold here ,someone did a great marketing job.Even every 7/11 carries it

In Australia,its source,it is considered a very average wine but Its exactly half the price its sold for here.

How much of that is Thai tax I have no idea.

I have never understood why some enterprising Thais dont get a wine industry going here.I know for a fact that a well know Austarlian producer tried to get a joint venture going and were rejected.The industry ,if it ever happened, would be very labour intensive,meaning more job availability, and there is no shortage of suitable land and climatic conditions.

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

Jacobs Creek is widely sold here ,someone did a great marketing job.Even every 7/11 carries it

In Australia,its source,it is considered a very average wine but Its exactly half the price its sold for here.

How much of that is Thai tax I have no idea.

I have never understood why some enterprising Thais dont get a wine industry going here.I know for a fact that a well know Austarlian producer tried to get a joint venture going and were rejected.The industry ,if it ever happened, would be very labour intensive,meaning more job availability, and there is no shortage of suitable land and climatic conditions.

Look how common Gillette shave foam is here...about 5 times the us price...there were obviously back room deals.