Russian arrested, may face prison term for feeding fish

webfact

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/20/2017 at 3:30 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

Relax, it could have been worse. Russians like picking forest mushrooms in which case he would have got 5 years in the slammer!

Are you making a hallucinating comment?? Just asking. If they are magic mushrooms you have to protect the people from themselves. 

21 hours ago, sweatalot said:

never heard something farther from reality and common sense

So when you travel as a tourist you read all the law texts of that country before you enter the aircraft ?

A coutry that wants to earn money from tourists has to make it easy for them - so signposts e.g. would be appropriate

expecting the tourists to read juristic stuff is not

I think it is quite universal that authorities publish laws, regulations and rules, in one way or the other.

It is up to the public to take it to heart or not.

If getting in trouble with the law you can't claim not-my-fault because you didn't know about the rules,

that is also quite universal.

laws/regulations/rules about some veryday simple things varies throughout the world.

Which countries in the world make an effort to alert tourists of legal "oddities"?

Through all my years of travelling all over the planet I can recall two encounters where I was made aware of some rules;

1) Germany, arriving by ferry with a non German registered car, was made aware by customs that in order to drive

legally in Germany I would need a sticker on the car showing the car's nationality code

2) Switzerland, being made aware by immigration that if I wanted to use highways in Switzerland (legally) I would

need a sticker on the window showing that I had paid the Swiss highway fee.

Thats it after 30 years of extensive travelling, been to almost ALL UN member nations at least 3 times

never been informed about not feeding fishes or not screwing without condoms or not smokeing dope

or not performing cunnilingus in some US states or not using non-registered FOREX booths

On 2/20/2017 at 3:18 PM, hEaDy said:

... but throwing plastic into the sea for fish and other marine life to feed on and then die is perfectly OK :coffee1:

I've seen this on a daily basis by vendors on Bang Saen beach. They sweep plastics directly from their areas into the sea.

8 hours ago, ezrider62 said:

I've seen this on a daily basis by vendors on Bang Saen beach. They sweep plastics directly from their areas into the sea.

Unfortunately it was a tourist, with MONEY. Another case of selective justice being applied!

UPDATE:

Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

Phuket Gazette 

pkt3.jpeg          

Ms Smirnova spent two nights in jail before being bailed out yesterday. Photo: DMCR

PHUKET: -- A Russian tourist spent two nights in jail for feeding fish at Koh Racha before paying 100,000 baht bail to be released from a holding cell at Phuket Provincial Court yesterday. 

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/970142-fish-feeding-russian-tourist-jailed-in-phuket/

1 hour ago, ezrider62 said:

I don't think so, I was in the water at the time a retrieved(pile of plastic) it directly to the owner stall.

Maybe you misunderstood me. It seems ok for Thai to dispose of rubbish in water, or tour operator to feed fish but not ok for tourist to do? Tourist gets fined but what happened to tour operator? They should be advising tourists about the laws. If the operator or his crew see tourists feeding fish they should be instructing the tourist that it is against the law! One poster on this forum stated they had seen tour operators feed the fish in order to enhance the tourists' experience! That is what I mean about selective justice. :sad:

8 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Maybe you misunderstood me. It seems ok for Thai to dispose of rubbish in water, or tour operator to feed fish but not ok for tourist to do? Tourist gets fined but what happened to tour operator? They should be advising tourists about the laws. If the operator or his crew see tourists feeding fish they should be instructing the tourist that it is against the law! One poster on this forum stated they had seen tour operators feed the fish in order to enhance the tourists' experience! That is what I mean about selective justice. :sad:

No, that feeding experience was quite some time ago.

It is not allowed these days, and tour operators should clearly inform their customers about this. Already for quite some time now the MCRCD is trying to do something about this practice, also anchoring in protected areas, divers damaging corals, etc., but up till very recently their powers were limited. That has now changed, and they are doing something: dive boats all have a waste tank now so the toilets are not flushed over the reefs anymore, they have gone after a few boats for anchoring in protected areas and this is already the second example of a tourist feeding the fish being apprehended. It seems this tourist missed the signs, clearly present at the island in Thai, English, Russian and Chinese.

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

I did misunderstand, parts of the original are missing. No problem, thanks for clarifying this.I lived in Bang saen last year and seen too many Thai weekend warriors from BKK destroy the beach in no time at all, trash everywhere.

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, gdgbb said:

You said it was Buddhist good karma, how would that (superstition) apply to a non-Buddhist, who wasn't doing it for good karma, that's what.

Do you have evidence that the reef in question is suffering from huge amounts of fish being taken to be sold to local restaurants?

As other poster have side, that area is a well know fishing spot.

As the for good Karma.... if this is a Buddhist country and feeding hungry animals is seen as a good thing, then why would they have a law saying its wrong to show kindness and feed animals?  It's not like she is force feeding it.. shoving sandwiches into its mouth.  As a Buddhist country, many of the laws will be based of Buddhist beliefs and attitudes in society.  It does not matter what religion the tourist is. 

As the for good Karma.... if this is a Buddhist country and feeding hungry animals is seen as a good thing, then why would they have a law saying its wrong to show kindness and feed animals?  It's not like she is force feeding it.. shoving sandwiches into its mouth.  As a Buddhist country, many of the laws will be based of Buddhist beliefs and attitudes in society.  It does not matter what religion the tourist is. 

No. Inside the bay, where she was apprehended, is no fishing, only outside.

sent using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

So no evidence of the carnage being caused by fishing in that specific spot, then.  What other posters have said isn't evidence.

"... why would they have a law saying its wrong to show kindness and feed animals?"

There is no law that states that it's wrong to show kindness and feed animals.  There is a law that has the intention to protect coral reefs and their surroundings but it doesn't say what you said.

Thailand's laws are not based on Buddhist beliefs or attitudes.

20 hours ago, gdgbb said:

So no evidence of the carnage being caused by fishing in that specific spot, then.  What other posters have said isn't evidence.

"... why would they have a law saying its wrong to show kindness and feed animals?"

There is no law that states that it's wrong to show kindness and feed animals.  There is a law that has the intention to protect coral reefs and their surroundings but it doesn't say what you said.

Thailand's laws are not based on Buddhist beliefs or attitudes.

So what evidence to you have that that area has no fishing please? 

And they would not make laws which go against their Buddhist beliefs....  you think the laws stopping sale of alcohol on Buddhist holidays are not based of Buddhist beliefs or attitudes? 

Seriously, you don't think Buddhist religious beliefs influence the laws and order for Thai society? 

The influence of Buddhist teachings on the formation of Thai legal norms are apparent for most people, while the legal and constitutional structures of the Thai legal system likewise influence and enhance respect for Buddhist law.

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

So what evidence to you have that that area has no fishing please? 

And they would not make laws which go against their Buddhist beliefs....  you think the laws stopping sale of alcohol on Buddhist holidays are not based of Buddhist beliefs or attitudes? 

Seriously, you don't think Buddhist religious beliefs influence the laws and order for Thai society? 

The influence of Buddhist teachings on the formation of Thai legal norms are apparent for most people, while the legal and constitutional structures of the Thai legal system likewise influence and enhance respect for Buddhist law.

"So what evidence to you have that that area has no fishing please'

I didn't start that claim about over fishing on the reefs, the onus of proof is not on me!

The law regarding alcohol sale on Buddhist days is a minute part of Thailand's statutes and is not representative of the country's entire legal system, in fact , I'm not even sure that they are actually laws as opposed to restrictions imposed by local police that would have no backup in law if anyone was brave enough to contest those restrictions.

Take a serious look at Thailand's laws and you will see a connection with most western legal systems, so, no, I don't think that Buddhist beliefs have any significant influence on the way that Thailand's laws were written, in fact, I know they don't.

"The influence of Buddhist teachings on the formation of Thai legal norms are apparent for most people, while the legal and constitutional structures of the Thai legal system likewise influence and enhance respect for Buddhist law."

Haha, where did you copy and paste that from, you clearly didn't compose it yourself!

On 20.2.2017 at 8:54 PM, sweatalot said:

never heard something farther from reality and common sense

So when you travel as a tourist you read all the law texts of that country before you enter the aircraft ?

A coutry that wants to earn money from tourists has to make it easy for them - so signposts e.g. would be appropriate

expecting the tourists to read juristic stuff is not

No, I don't.

My only point is that many many countries have some oddities in their regulations/stipulations which is far from

what you might call common sense.

Authorities normally publish such regulations, and leave it at that.

Normally you can not claim ingnorance of the rules as an excuse to break 'em.

Legal authorities, tourist authorities, transport authorities are normally not helpfull re informing visitors of

oddities and potential pitfalls.

This is not specific to Thailand, Thailand is in good company with a host of countries.

The US has penalties for harrassing marine mammals for example. (11,000 dollar fine, 1 year prison). So one day I almost stepped on an elephant seal pup going down to the surf. I just walked away. I know already.

This story is perfect . Thai authorities prosecute an ignorant tourist for a temporary infraction with no lasting effect, could be used as a teaching moment Them wait for to lose millions in tourist revenue so they can prove they are some kind of legitimate authority.

Meanwhile criminal ladyboys get a 250 Baht fine for knifing and robbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant feed the fish but phuket can dump millions of gallons of untreated sewage into its not pristine beaches.
What a crazy place it is.
Beach lounges are back.
What will happen next.
Submarines ?

04059d95bf776b2cfceffcdb25f92499.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This  fish feeder has now appeared in court for her criminal activities and was fined B1,000!

This really puts in prospective the Chalong police's decision to set bail at B100,000 and to hold her in jail for two days until the bail was paid!

Her passport was held as she was considered a major flight risk!

It's time something was done about the charging and bail practises at this police station!