Want to be treated more fairly? Write to your ambassador!!

jgold

2 hours ago, BKKBodhisattva said:That's just a "fact" you invented while sat on the toilet.

Thais are not among the largest group of foreign buyers of UK property.

The point being made - clearly it's lost on some people - is that there are a lot more Brits who can afford to buy land/property in Thailand than there are Thais who can afford to buy land/property in the UK and Brits don't have to be "rich" to do so.

Facts  extracted from different news outlets plus opening Google.

Another one to add to your education is that 10% of the U.K's property market is in the hands of foreigners. For London that figure is much higher.

And it is in London that most Thai property buyers head. Some of the very rich Thais owning more than one London property. Many of these being members of the Thai elite,( including ex Thai prime ministers)who are very adamant that foreign national must Not be allowed to own Thai property,unless of course they personally have their finger in the pie,as in ownership of large ares of Thai farming land. The one exemption is that foreigners can purchase in their own name, a box in a condominium on Sukhumvit, as long as it does not exceed 49% of the total number.They being afraid that you might dig up the land and put it in a suitcase to be transported through  Suvarnabhumi airport.

Edited by nontabury

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

I read (and hear in the bars and the Thai streets) so many POM's complaining about their Government. 

Every few years you have an option to change it.

Ask yourself this. "When was the last time I voted in our General Elections, sensibly ?"

Very true,although I must say as regards to the UK. If a British citizen has been out of the country for 15yrs or more, then they are no longer entitled to vote. Maybe this is not the same for NZ and other countries. 

As regarding support from ones Embassy, I have only read good things said about the NZ embassy.

Thailand will never allow a foreigner to own land in thailand and until fairly recently Thai women married to foreigners cannot own it. That law was changed but most land offices will not transfer the land into the Thai wives name until the foreigner signs off that he has no interest in the land. If the wife dies, the foreigner must sell it within 1 year under inheritance laws.

As an American who has lived here for decades- I know the American Ambassador has no real interest in telling the Thai government about their laws with the exception of American business interests. It is money that always talks. They could care less about us as individuals.

As much as that sucks, I can't blame them.  A pound sent to a pensioner in London gets circulated through the economy 3 or 4 (or more) times before it's gone.  A pound sent to a pensioner in Thailand disappears from the UK economy without bringing any benefit at all.  It's in the country's best interest to encourage pensioners to spend their money in country, which means living there.

But there is no cost to the UK for health care, travel subsidies, general support.
And expats have already paid their "premiums" through their working lives, paying national insurance and taxes.

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, cracker1 said:

I read (and hear in the bars and the Thai streets) so many POM's complaining about their Government. 

Every few years you have an option to change it.

Ask yourself this. "When was the last time I voted in our General Elections, sensibly ?"

I last tried (and failed miserably) 2 years ago.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Do you get the same treatment here"? 

Of course not, unlike a lot of Thaivisa posters, I do not think we get a fair deal from immigration, ie what happens if you reach your eighties and nineties and are not well enough or fit enough to do border hops? So if you are a member of the "if you don't like it go home brigade" your comments are not welcome as Thailand is still a better country in many ways than the UK.

If you were British, masochistic and didn't like it here, then going home would be the perfect solution for you...

13 minutes ago, OJAS said:

If you were British, masochistic and didn't like it here, then going home would be the perfect solution for you...

and what about you? Spouting nonsense while hiding behind your keyboard.

Edited by possum1931

Just now, possum1931 said:

and what about you? Spouting garbage while hiding behind your keyboard.

I wasn't referring to you personally. Allow me to rephrase since you are clearly incapable of grasping this:-

"If one was British, masochistic and didn't like it here, then going home would be the perfect solution for one.!

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I wasn't referring to you personally. Allow me to rephrase since you are clearly incapable of grasping this:-

"If one was British, masochistic and didn't like it here, then going home would be the perfect solution for one.!

Don't you know the difference between "one" and "you'? maybe an apology would be in order, it was me you were referring to, look again.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Don't you know the difference between "one" and "you'? maybe an apology would be in order, it was me you were referring to, look again.

If you can't work out who I was (not) referring to you, then that's your problem, not mine, matey.

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Facts  extracted from different news outlets plus opening Google.

Another one to add to your education is that 10% of the U.K's property market is in the hands of foreigners. For London that figure is much higher.

And it is in London that most Thai property buyers head. Some of the very rich Thais owning more than one London property. Many of these being members of the Thai elite,( including ex Thai prime ministers)who are very adamant that foreign national must Not be allowed to own Thai property,unless of course they personally have their finger in the pie,as in ownership of large ares of Thai farming land. The one exemption is that foreigners can purchase in their own name, a box in a condominium on Sukhumvit, as long as it does not exceed 49% of the total number.They being afraid that you might dig up the land and put it in a suitcase to be transported through  Suvarnabhumi airport.

You continue to miss the point but I can't be bothered to reiterate it.

2 hours ago, transam said:

Ol' Trans and all of us are "individuals".........I don't give a flying f_____ about foreign spongers or those who contribute to the UK.....Trans did his stuff all his life then retired....I CANNOT have my pension upgraded because I put my feet up in LOS but LOS folk are given everything if they are in the UK......You may say small numbers but THEY are individuals the same as me, l am told to f_____ off but the LOS folk are taken care of because of my life long cash input......

What does any of that have to do with the Thai authorities giving you leave to own land?

The UK government chooses to offer benefits and access to markets to foreigners; why does that mean the Thai government has to extend the same to you?

It's already been explained why the Thai authorities don't allow farangs to own land here but you persist with the whining.

I don't think it's right that you should hijack the thread to vent your disapproval of immigrants to the UK especially when you yourself are an immigrant to Thailand.

Maybe consider for a moment that the very immigrants you slag off actually contribute to the pot that pays that pension of yours.

5 minutes ago, BKKBodhisattva said:

What does any of that have to do with the Thai authorities giving you leave to own land?

The UK government chooses to offer benefits and access to markets to foreigners; why does that mean the Thai government has to extend the same to you?

It's already been explained why the Thai authorities don't allow farangs to own land here but you persist with the whining.

I don't think it's right that you should hijack the thread to vent your disapproval of immigrants to the UK especially when you yourself are an immigrant to Thailand.

Maybe consider for a moment that the very immigrants you slag off actually contribute to the pot that pays that pension of yours.

I am not an "immigrant" to Thailand.....

4 hours ago, transam said:

You are talking out your ass.....My visa says.......NON IMMIGRANT.....

Explain why that is.........?

Language, trans, language. I am with Bodh though that you (and me and all the others) are immigrants. Effectively. If you shit, live, eat, fork here for most of the year then you are an immigrant and it don't matter what your visa says. Kind of like Mexicans in the US.

Now, to get back to the point. You seem to be implying that Thailand should have the same policy towards immigrants that the UK has. Why? Ain't no UN principle that says so. Every country has a right to a policy toward foreigners that puts their citizens'  interests first. Now, if the UK <deleted> up and is selling their own out, that ain't the Thai's problem. And no cause for Thailand to open its doors.

So Thais are smarter in dealing with foreigners than the US and UK. Fair play to them. It's their country.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

An 'Embassy aint doing nuffink' thread is right up there with Sin Sod, Duel pricing and 'If yer don't like it....' when it comes to troll-a-thons or winding up the serial posters but I'm bored and will therefore attempt to point some at least in the right direction:

1. Complaints: Letters as per the OP are more likely to succeed if they are kept short and to the point. Rants, Abuse or Anonymous comms go straight in the bin as does anything that is clearly not the concern of the recipient as explained here:

Bizarre requests from Brits abroad

2. Frozen Pensions: There's a dedicated board pinned in the Home Countries page. Time is better spent there or by supporting the intl Consortium: http://pensionjustice.org .

The International Consortium of British Pensioners (ICBP) | Facebook

3. Passports: At my last 90 day report a fellow resident showed me his new ppt and explained how he had applied for it without the hop, skip or jump (x2) to Bkk. I'm not going to go any further than that in this post & am years away from renewing any of ours...

4. Tsunami: The poster having a pop at his Ambassadors initial absence in 2004 should note that this was a once in a millennium event and (Assuming he was in his home Country) that he was as far away as he could possibly be at the time, and at the most congested time of the year re travelling at short notice. EVERYONE learned lessons from this, as seen during floods, typhoons, quakes in the region since...

I hope this proves useful :)

Just now, BKKBodhisattva said:

Whatever you feel you need to tell yourself to feel better.

I don't need to feel better...I understand reality which you don't seem to grasp....I do not have a problem, I just know the differences between me in LOS and a Thai in the UK....Incredibly different stuff...

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't need to feel better...I understand reality which you don't seem to grasp....I do not have a problem, I just know the differences between me in LOS and a Thai in the UK....Incredibly different stuff...

I understand reality perfectly well - that's why I don't complain about not having the benefits I enjoy back home extended to me by a Thai government that has absolutely no obligation to me whatsoever.

You OTOH, for someone without a problem, you've sure made a very noticeable whine during this thread.

Just now, BKKBodhisattva said:

I understand reality perfectly well - that's why I don't complain about not having the benefits I enjoy back home extended to me by a Thai government that has absolutely no obligation to me whatsoever.

You OTOH, for someone without a problem, you've sure made a very noticeable whine during this thread.

Because I INPUT to threads................That's what I do............

facepalm.gif