Want to be treated more fairly? Write to your ambassador!!

jgold

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, The Dancer said:

Language, trans, language. I am with Bodh though that you (and me and all the others) are immigrants. Effectively. If you shit, live, eat, fork here for most of the year then you are an immigrant and it don't matter what your visa says. Kind of like Mexicans in the US.

Now, to get back to the point. You seem to be implying that Thailand should have the same policy towards immigrants that the UK has. Why? Ain't no UN principle that says so. Every country has a right to a policy toward foreigners that puts their citizens'  interests first. Now, if the UK <deleted> up and is selling their own out, that ain't the Thai's problem. And no cause for Thailand to open its doors.

So Thais are smarter in dealing with foreigners than the US and UK. Fair play to them. It's their country.

We are immigrants? Strangely they did't tell me that today at Thai immigration,when I reported for my 90 days. Transam is 100% correct as regard this fact. As for what you write regarding the UK, I completely agree,unfortunately the UK no longer belongs to the Brits. Whereas Thailand does rightly belong to the Thais. And I for one, respect the Thais for this stance.

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

They are smart enough to know that we are smart enough to eventually challenge their grip on the kingdom if we, westerners, were permitted to become land & business owners outright.

So you're saying the English teachers might lead a revolution if only they could sink their roots here a bit and not have to worry about quarterly border runs? Yes, I see it now. A platoon of English teachers marching on Government house in their Chatuchak shoes, plastic briefcases full of sharp pencils, causing Thai soldiers to drop their weapons and flee.

Lord, what inflated self-farang-opinion. Wake up, kid. As far as most Thais are concerned every farang living here is still a tourist. Just sticking around a bit longer than the others. We are not looked at as co-citizens or apprentice citizens or whatever. We're tolerated but we're way too different in every way ever to be accepted.

As for the rulers being scared of us. You can't be serious. The highest level of officialdom in Thailand that's even aware of resident farangs are the cops in the Suk area who randomly pick on us and make us pee in a bottle. Above that they either don't know we exist or couldn't give a rat's ass if we do.

But life in the LOS is still good, wot?

Edited by The Dancer

On 20/2/2017 at 4:51 PM, BKKBodhisattva said:

Comparing apples and pears

How many Thais could get a visa to the UK without a sponsor or even afford the plane ticket?

How many do you think could afford to buy property in the UK?

OTOH, a lot of Brits can afford visas, flights and the cost of land here (if they were allowed to own it).

The Thais are right to restrict foreign ownership of land otherwise we'd have farang proles owning chunks of Thailand because it's very affordable when measured against Western currencies.

I find that it's most often people who were priced out of the property booms in their own countries that complain most vociferously about restrictive land ownership laws in Thailand

Thailand does not owe you a second bite at the real estate cherry because you missed the boat at home.

Why should they give farangs an advantage over their own people?

Look around.hundreds of Thousands of thai can afford to travel and live in other countries. 

A great deal of them can and do purchase multiple properties overseas. They also start many businesses with 100 percent ownership. Most people accept they should not be allowed to profit from buying and selling thai land. But many are married and would like to own a small piece to care for their thai families. I was running a small business from my home that I cannot own. Even though my husband had nothing to do with the business and was out of town most of the time. He was convicted for running a business and put in prison , because the house was in his name. When we apply for a home loan we cannot use any of my income as collateral for that home. It's not only the foreigner that's complaining.many thai husbands and wives are complaining also. 

5 hours ago, greenchair said:

Look around.hundreds of Thousands of thai can afford to travel and live in other countries. 

A great deal of them can and do purchase multiple properties overseas. They also start many businesses with 100 percent ownership. Most people accept they should not be allowed to profit from buying and selling thai land. But many are married and would like to own a small piece to care for their thai families. I was running a small business from my home that I cannot own. Even though my husband had nothing to do with the business and was out of town most of the time. He was convicted for running a business and put in prison , because the house was in his name. When we apply for a home loan we cannot use any of my income as collateral for that home. It's not only the foreigner that's complaining.many thai husbands and wives are complaining also. 

Sure, hundreds of thousands  of Thais can afford to travel around and live in other countries..............in Asia

Those who can afford to travel to, live in and buy land in markets like the UK's probably number in the tens of thousands, not the hundreds of thousands.

The number of Brits (I use Britain because the population is similar in size to Thailand's) who can afford to travel to, live in and buy land in Thailand are in the millions so, once again, comparing apples and pears.

If they're  married and want to leave land to families, they can simply give their wives the money to buy the land now - problem solved.

What's the point in a foreigner being allowed to buy the land in his/her own name?

No, IMO the authorities should definitely continue to tell foreign wannabe real estate magnates to jog on

26 minutes ago, BKKBodhisattva said:

Sure, hundreds of thousands  of Thais can afford to travel around and live in other countries..............in Asia

Those who can afford to travel to, live in and buy land in markets like the UK's probably number in the tens of thousands, not the hundreds of thousands.

The number of Brits (I use Britain because the population is similar in size to Thailand's) who can afford to travel to, live in and buy land in Thailand are in the millions so, once again, comparing apples and pears.

If they're  married and want to leave land to families, they can simply give their wives the money to buy the land now - problem solved.

What's the point in a foreigner being allowed to buy the land in his/her own name?

No, IMO the authorities should definitely continue to tell foreign wannabe real estate magnates to jog on

Tens of thousands of Thais. You could't be further from the truth. As I've already informed you, 10-15% of Thais are incredible rich. Admittedly not to many live in Essan,Yet in Bangkok and the rest of Thailand they're living it up.

49 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Tens of thousands of Thais. You could't be further from the truth. As I've already informed you, 10-15% of Thais are incredible rich. Admittedly not to many live in Essan,Yet in Bangkok and the rest of Thailand they're living it up.

10-15% Thais "incredibly" rich?

According to this from Credit Suisse

According to a 2015 Asia Pacific Wealth Report 1, there are around 91,000 high-net- worth individuals in Thailand with more than USD 1 million (THB 35 million) in investable assets, owning total USD 456 billion (THB 16 trillion) of investable wealth. According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2015, there are also an estimated 340 ultra-high-net-worth individuals with more than USD 50 million (THB 1.8 billion) in net wealth. 

You must be feeling pretty silly right now so I'll just leave you to get on with your barstool economics lecture.

26 minutes ago, BKKBodhisattva said:

10-15% Thais "incredibly" rich?

According to this from Credit Suisse

You must be feeling pretty silly right now so I'll just leave you to get on with your barstool economics lecture.

Not at all. It's well know that the HNW1 of the Thai population  is increasing higher than in any other S.E Asian country. That's of course in relation to those who declare all their assets. As for those who pay any tax,dream away.

My Dutch friend is very ill Passport and Ret Visa nearly gone.His Embassy Boss.... "Send everything to Me ,must have letter From Bumingrad Hospital , I'll sort it all out for You. Now if I phoned the British Embassy,it would be........ well you fill that bit in people.[emoji636][emoji99]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The actions you attribute to the Dutch are highly unlikely to have happened & certainly not in the manner you'd have us believe.

As for the US; Your '26 years ago' differs significantly from anything conducted after 11Sep 01. 26 years ago A4 visitors passports were still being issued while-U-wait @ UK post offices!

Nostalgia ain't wot it used to be :)

Edited by evadgib

On 2/21/2017 at 1:36 PM, cracker1 said:

I read (and hear in the bars and the Thai streets) so many POM's complaining about their Government. 

Every few years you have an option to change it.

Ask yourself this. "When was the last time I voted in our General Elections, sensibly ?"

ask yourself this "when was the last time there was anyone worth voting for" its  a bit  like being asked how you want to die, suffocated by naked womens breasts or shotgun to the head