Food truck, restaurant on wheels, restaurant on trailer, how would you do it ? Have you seen something different ?

abab

But i thought the real winner was,especially in the colder months,the baked potato machine

Agreed.  sometime around 2003 I imported a baked potato machine from the UK and put it in a cafe/snack-bar next to the Emporium shopping centre in BKK.

Business was good, but the high rent of the shop eventually caused the closure of the business.  I think I sold the potato machine to recoup some of the investment.

• Like 1

Carryboy does the vast majority of these in Thailand. Either directly under their brand or as a subcontract for others.  You should contact them, tell them your requirements, and see what they recommend. They do both trailers and trucks.

http://www.carryboykiosk.com/

Click on Cargo Box and look under both Kiosk and Trailer for some examples of what they do.  If you can imagine what you want, they can generally make it. Not particularly cheap though. If you know someone else who subcontracts with them you can generally get it cheaper.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2017 at 3:36 AM, cyberfarang said:

If this is for Thais, then surely they should have better ideas then us for knowing how to setup a mobile restaurant in Thailand. If not there are hundreds of Thai forums online where they could ask the same questions to other Thais, that would be more logical than asking a foreigner for advice on the matter. 

Sure ! Thai are VERY VERY VERY famous to have good ideas about anything....

2 hours ago, Monomial said:

Carryboy does the vast majority of these in Thailand. Either directly under their brand or as a subcontract for others.  You should contact them, tell them your requirements, and see what they recommend. They do both trailers and trucks.

http://www.carryboykiosk.com/

Click on Cargo Box and look under both Kiosk and Trailer for some examples of what they do.  If you can imagine what you want, they can generally make it. Not particularly cheap though. If you know someone else who subcontracts with them you can generally get it cheaper.

Good idea, thank you !

now with the street food crackdown :(     , will they have areas set aside to park a food cart / food truck etc

there are 1000s of ideas on Google etc ,   its just figuring out what you want to sell ,  and then water , power, propane and  keeping it clean.......

until they change the rules again !

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

It seems the idea of a mobile food cart is as old in Asia as eating. Take note of the literally hundreds of thousands of them already in operation. If a scooter with a sidecar is too small or underbudget, try a small flatbed truck, like a Suzuki Carry. You can build your own kitchen to your standards and even expand to pull a food trailer, if you like. However, all I hear you say is another bar with a pool table. Get a real idea.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, smotherb said:

It seems the idea of a mobile food cart is as old in Asia as eating. Take note of the literally hundreds of thousands of them already in operation. If a scooter with a sidecar is too small or underbudget, try a small flatbed truck, like a Suzuki Carry. You can build your own kitchen to your standards and even expand to pull a food trailer, if you like. However, all I hear you say is another bar with a pool table. Get a real idea.

There will always be people that want to eat.   If you offer a food item that isn't well represented then you can make a nice business.  

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

There will always be people that want to eat.   If you offer a food item that isn't well represented then you can make a nice business.  

Well, then explain the multitudes of food businesses which go broke--good food or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, then explain the multitudes of food businesses which go broke--good food or not.

F&B businesses usually fail because of poor management, poor cost controls and bad staffing.  Although those are only some of the many reasons.

Not sure why you are so negative though.  Just because you don't believe in a persons idea doesn't mean it isn't a good idea.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Could try a mobile Fish & Chip shop and trawl all the private housing estates, loads in Pattaya, people love their fish & chips :biggrin:

A product aimed at western working class farang isn't my idea of a winning idea.   

You want to find something that every Thai would buy.   The real money is in the Thai market.

• Like 1

Way too fancy. 

How about something more like this?

Call it "Aharn Blok Taan" and get Lonely Planet to write you up during one of their whirlwind "I just got off the bus and wrote up the closest places to the bus station during my 6 hour layover tour" ?

cinder-block-fire-pit-grill-decks-home-b

Edited by SiSePuede419
Added more funny stuff
  • Haha 1

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, grollies said:

Agreed, food trailers. OP was (I think) talking about using a plant trailer to move a shipping container or knockdown house. There are trailers round here, we looked for a small one for transporting kee yang but they were expensive and not well built.

Converted van or caravan-type trailer like your pictures is the way to go.

Picture below is a converted hilux for export to Europe. THB3million. Not suggesting this is any good for a food truck.

IMG20170117143334.jpg

Ah, reminds me of my white trash (hippy biker) caravan days.

I could live in that....

The matter is not the truck type or size or price...

The matter is its location, where you will find a good free location,to report it officials to get license and be sure that the same evening it is not occupied by a Thai?..

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, seancbk said:

F&B businesses usually fail because of poor management, poor cost controls and bad staffing.  Although those are only some of the many reasons.

Not sure why you are so negative though.  Just because you don't believe in a persons idea doesn't mean it isn't a good idea.

I think I already expressed why I think it is not such a good idea--just another bar with a pool table. Mobile food businesses can work, look how many others try to make their living with them, some even do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
23 hours ago, goegoe said:

Hi, do you have any experience of buying second hand food trucks ?

http://www.carryboykiosk.com/food-trucks/suzuki-carry/

http://www.carryboykiosk.com/food-trucks/

It seems hard to find good prices for these.

Any idea where to look ?

Thank you.

Facebook food groups, business groups, for sale groups - I've seen food trucks offered for sale several times.

Post on Craigslist

Ask existing food truck owners

• Like 1