H.I.V. Stalks Prostitutes and Their Children in Cambodia

geovalin

Abortion and AIDS are the two most common causes of death among Cambodian female sex workers, and AIDS is the most frequent cause of death among their children, according to a small new study. Prostitution in poor countries with high H.I.V. rates has lethal consequences not just for women but for their infants, the study found. Mothers engage in riskier sex acts to feed their children, but because they are socially shunned or threatened with arrest, they often cannot get drugs that would prolong their lives or prevent them from infecting their babies.

The study, by investigators at Global Health Promise, a nonprofit based in Portland, Ore., that researches prostitution in poor countries, was an attempt to shed light on a little-studied corner of the AIDS epidemic. The group takes no position on whether prostitution should be legal, its director, Brian Willis, said. Sex workers are about 12 times as likely to be infected with H.I.V. as other women in their communities. Estimates of how many women sell sex around the world vary, but range from 10 million to 40 million. Most are mothers.

read more https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/health/hiv-aids-cambodia-prostitution.html?_r=0

56 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

One reason I am a one women man. Lost my brother over 25 years ago to that disease. Your playing Russian roulette if you don't think it can happen to you.

I think Russian Roulette is riskier...........

Did you see the article and video in today's TV post? Where the girl came off a motorbike and got hit by a bus and just walked/ran away.......... If it was her time to go, she would have died....... It just wasn't her time yet...........

Just MPHO (My Personal Humble Opinion)

28 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Did you see the article and video in today's TV post? Where the girl came off a motorbike and got hit by a bus and just walked/ran away.......... If it was her time to go, she would have died....... It just wasn't her time yet...........

Yes, but having unsafe sex with prostitutes increases your chances of making it "your time to go"

36 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but having unsafe sex with prostitutes increases your chances of making it "your time to go"

And not flying to your next vacation might keep you from dying in a plane crash and making it "your time to go"

Just now, sawadeeken said:

And not flying to your next vacation might keep you from dying in a plane crash and making it "your time to go"

Yes, all actions carry certain risks.

Having unsafe sex with prostitutes makes catching HIV more likely than if you didnt do so

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, all actions carry certain risks.

Having unsafe sex with prostitutes makes catching HIV more likely than if you didnt do so

I must agree................ with you...............

I will add that when You live in a very sterile enviornment You could live longer..........

But while you are there at home in very sterile surroundings, sitting on your sofa, watching your favorite 'soap' and there not much likelyhood of dying......... a big truck on the road in front of your house may loose control and crash right into your house killing you........... LOL............ If it is your time..... ZAP....

I'm just saying that there are decisions in life and each of us have to choose for ourselves.

I have millions of flying miles (Factually). I live in San Bernardino, California which became 'infamous' in the recent past,...................... and some people ask me -- 'Aren't you afraid of flying?' or Aren't you afraid of going to Thailand so often?'........... My stock answer is ---- NO....... I am afraid when I am home in San Bernardino............  The fact is I don't want to live in 'sterile' conditions..........

I have many friends in Thailand and they go to Cambodia often, and I have as well........... None of us have caught anything that Penicillin won't fix.................I have found that everyone chooses his own route, and I allow them their free choice.....................

Sometime if I learn about one of my friends dying of AIDs, I will be the first to admit that---- It was obviously his time to go................

I really am shocked to read these replies from so called mature adults here who obviously have no respect for their peckers ! and are the most irresponsible immature childish ignorant and very dangerous not to mention highly selfish people yet I have the misfortune to read about ! this is very scary ! whats the big deal in practising safe sex by wearing a condom I don't understand your way of thoughtlessness guys ! have you any idea how many diseases you can contract by sticking your wick in a hookers honey pot or else where for that matter ? think how many guys have been there before you have met her hardly the first and certainly not the last to give yo a clue ! wear a wet suit on the old boy if not for your sake then for the girls sake and everyone else for that matter because with your ignorant attitude you are spreading aids & other diseases to all you have sexual contact with be it here in asia or your home country ! so wake up and have some respect for your pecker for gods sake stop being selfish you can buy rubbers anywhere and they are very cheap so no excuse its worth peace of mind !

10 hours ago, Ian Maxwell said:

I really am shocked to read these replies from so called mature adults here who obviously have no respect for their peckers ! and are the most irresponsible immature childish ignorant and very dangerous not to mention highly selfish people yet I have the misfortune to read about ! this is very scary ! whats the big deal in practising safe sex by wearing a condom I don't understand your way of thoughtlessness guys ! have you any idea how many diseases you can contract by sticking your wick in a hookers honey pot or else where for that matter ? think how many guys have been there before you have met her hardly the first and certainly not the last to give yo a clue ! wear a wet suit on the old boy if not for your sake then for the girls sake and everyone else for that matter because with your ignorant attitude you are spreading aids & other diseases to all you have sexual contact with be it here in asia or your home country ! so wake up and have some respect for your pecker for gods sake stop being selfish you can buy rubbers anywhere and they are very cheap so no excuse its worth peace of mind !

I would wear a condom, but when i ask for size 6.& 7/8 they just look at me as though i am stupid.