FTW! Thailand wins for worst traffic in world

webfact

FTW! Thailand wins for worst traffic in world

By Coconuts Bangkok

9580811408_44cd203f9a_h-1024x659.jpg

Photo: Bernard Scruggs NZ/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- According to a study released this week, Thailand had the world’s worst traffic last year.

The research, by American company INRIX, ranked countries and cities based on how many hours an average citizen spent sitting in traffic in 2016.

The list of countries that rated as the most congested ranked Thailand at the top. Thais spent an average of 64 hours stuck in traffic last year. It’s much higher than the next entries on the list, which are: Colombia and Indonesia (47 hours spent in traffic), Russia and the U.S. (42 hours spent in traffic), Venezuela (39 hours spent in traffic), South Africa (38 hours spent in traffic), Brazil (37 hours spent in traffic), Puerto Rico (37 hours spent in traffic) and Turkey (34 hours spent in traffic).

The Global Traffic Scorecard 2016 collected data from 300 million sources and tested 1,064 cities as well as 38 countries.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/ftw-thailand-wins-worst-traffic-world/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-02-21

15 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

That's a skewed interpretation of the data.  LA actually ranked #1 and Bangkok #12.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/los-angeles-named-most-gridlocked-city-world-120846131

http://inrix.com/scorecard/

No it isn't.

Try reading the article:

"The list of countries that rated as the most congested ranked Thailand at the top. Thais spent an average of 64 hours stuck in traffic last year. It’s much higher than the next entries on the list, which are: Colombia and Indonesia (47 hours spent in traffic), Russia and the U.S. (42 hours spent in traffic), "

"As far as the global ranking of cities, Bangkok was rated as the 12th most congested in the world, while L.A. took home the winning number one spot."

This article gives the INRIX tables for cities and countries:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-country-with-the-worst-traffic-in-the-world-and-its-not-the-us-2017-02-20

Edited by Enoon

50 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

That's a skewed interpretation of the data.  LA actually ranked #1 and Bangkok #12.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/los-angeles-named-most-gridlocked-city-world-120846131

http://inrix.com/scorecard/

Agreed....I think the operative is "cities".....I can think of areas in CA that would sop up that 42 hours in 1-2 weeks of commuting ....Thailand is mostly rural with literally zip traffic time in 80-90% of it's areas....

By contrast in CA traffic can be a nightmare in many, many, many areas of the state......

Assuming their dams hold....

Edited by pgrahmm

Pgr....have you ever got off your bar stool and driven in Thai cities? Most ignorant statement I have ever read on Thai visa....

due to lack of any infrastructure and traffic management every thai city of any size I have driven in has terrible traffic during day time hours...

help me out here...CM CR hua hin Korat udon khon kaen  Ubon Phuket pattaya Hat Yai Songhla  krabi trang all cities surrounding bkk etc

What are some others to my list?

can someone name one freeway in thailand? Proper highway design don't have signals built into them...outside of bkk how many overpasses has one ever encountered in thailand?

Edited by cardinalblue

3 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"Thailand had the world’s worst traffic last year."

At last, bragging rights for something very few will dispute.

We're Number 1. We're Number 1. 

We cannot complement this Junta for such a glorious achievement.

It was the previous government through their vote grabbing populist policy on car ownership.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Pgr....have you ever got off your bar stool and driven in Thai cities? Most ignorant statement I have ever read on Thai visa....

due to lack of any infrastructure and traffic management every thai city of any size I have driven in has terrible traffic during day time hours...

help me out here...CM CR hua hin Korat udon khon kaen  Ubon Phuket pattaya Hat Yai Songhla  krabi trang all cities surrounding bkk etc

What are some others to my list?

can someone name one freeway in thailand? Proper highway design don't have signals built into them...outside of bkk how many overpasses has one ever encountered in thailand?

Hey CB - let's get the ignorance (yours) out of the way first.....I've never sat on a barstool in LOS....So you can take your ill informed petty little feeble attack & stick it where the sun never shines.....

I've got 2 kids in school & drive in CM traffic daily - which has gotten progressively worse over the years....I've also driven in most of the cities you've cited, including BKK - but only during visits....In BKK I use taxis once parked at a hotel, BKK is difficult traffic wise but haven't had extreme difficulty in the other places not in BKK)... I've not been to Phuket & only around Pattaya for a sports competition....I have driven in Manila + around the PI and found traffic (and driver habits) much worse, and contested + congested & dangerous there....India is another traffic debacle (entirely new level) & Beijing was not fun to drive around in either - even when using a hired driver....

I've got to admit I haven't counted overpasses - but many people in the states use them as mileage landmarks.....City people...

The cited study indicated countries & you've completely validated my point by determining that the country isn't over run with overpasses....

But there are enough to allow traffic flow - seldom coming upon 4 way stops - unless driving through the typical Thai town (large enough to have a Makro/Big C)....But those are usually straight through shots....So, if anything, I'd say it's your driving experiences that have swayed or misled you....

By the way, we're an active 3 car + MC's family & on the road travelling pretty often....

I do make it a habit not to live (never have) where I'm in traffic unless I need to be.....Had enough of that living in & travelling in the states.....

Sorry that driving here is such a burden for you - some handle things/circumstances better than others....

I don't like traffic - never have....But it's easier here as I usually do not have any time demands.....

it seems there are some in thailand who work hard at screwing up the transportation systems, there is no other logical explanations for the total mismanagement of the traffic systems in all areas of thailand.

Edited by bangkok101
yyf

I spent > 2 hours in a taxi and travelled 3 kms....in a crowded city in se asia. A city with NO mass rapid transit. I think bkk is better off than a few other locations in terms of traffic woes, (but worse in other ways)

Traffic problems are much worse in Thai cities than California cities if one standardized the data...

while Ca has not the record that some other U.S. Cities have with public transportation, outside of bkk, city public transportation is non existent in Thai cities...Some CA cities have now implemented public transportation like SD or the Bay Area...

comparing my own calif to CM experience...it took me roughly 2 hours to commute 60 miles between the north Bay and Oakland. in CM, it takes me 1.5 hour to go from sansai to the international school south of the airport - a distance of about 15 miles...so which one is worse traffic?

i would love to see Thai stats on how long it takes to go divided by x KMs. 

From my my own experiences Thai are stuck In traffic much longer per distance travelled than other places I have experienced..I think it is irrelevant to compare to Manila Jakarta Mexico City etc b/c it's irrelevant to me...

what's relevant to me is trying to get through Thai medium size or around the those cities when there or the time it takes to cover small distances within those cities is much worse than using your example  medium CA cities (distance x time)...

your language of zip traffic in 80% of thailand would be the same if not higher in the state of CA...you need to to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges...Ca has more agricultural land and areas than thailand...

i don't understand the swipe at CA traffic trying to say it is worse than thailand hot spots..

and what's up with that stupid dam remark? It had nothing to do with the integrity of the Oroville Dam. Do you actually understand the issue in CA? or were you trying to add a Trump like remark and be cute? Let's not forget what happened to bkk and surrounding areas experienced  a few years ago. Do you wish to compare the two events on a severity scale?

Edited by cardinalblue

We're from the same area .......Guessing you came from the Marin side across Richmond Bridge to the Eastshore....

The dam remark was a tongue in cheek jest - unfortunately just now the levy above Manteca breached....Probably a very bad omen given the disrepair the entire levy system has been allowed to fall into...It could be the beginning of a chain reaction that could rival or far exceed BKK's flooding...They were lucky with Oroville.....

I drive 16k to an international school back & forth from Hang Dong....On the worst days it might take 30 minutes - usually 25 or less + it's during the rush hour....

California could be heaven, it's got everything....Unfortunately, it's a complete mess & won't be better anytime soon.....Best left for another day.....

Edited by pgrahmm

8 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Bkk101,

if if one can use public transport meaning sky train or subway, bkk is in some ways easier to get around than now CM which has a zero mass transit system and continues to get worse on a daily basis....traffic is or will be CM 's #1 problem...

Agreed...

Much further north - Santa Rosa... 

Not to beat a dead horse but Marin voters were very selfish to keep voting down a light rail line from cloverdale to Sausalito or wherever that southern most point was going to be...

sonoma folks clearly blame Marinites for US 101 commuter traffic problems to this day...

if you remove LA/Orange County  and the Bay Area, I just don't see the other traffic hot spots in California...

the other 2 most populous areas in CA are SD and Sacramento and in reality have been managed quite adequately though still lacking comprehensive public transportation...but that's a CA thing in general...

much more positive than you on CA....greatest drawbacks are cost of everything, gang violence, homelessness and car dependent....

Remember 10% of all Americans and some others choose to live in CA...