Serrvice intervals

cooked

Some Googling around has shown me that depending on road conditions, service intervals can be extended, the recommended service interval being based on the presumption that you will be driving in conditions that aren't optimal.

My Almera is coming up to 100 000 Km, warranty is finished and I consider that generally I don't use dusty/bad roads or drive only short distances.

I am thinking of extending the interval to 13 000 Km , checking the levels obviously, from time to time. Anybody violently opposed to this idea? Getting a service done generally takes up most of the morning so it isn't just about being a cheapskate.

Modern day rides are very different to yester year when a service involved a lot more stuff.

The only thing to think about now is engine oil and filter and recommendations for a particular oil and the engine in question. If the trans/axle shows no sign of leaking then just change it the recommended interval.

Regarding oil changes it all depends on a particular engine design requirements for engine survival. Some engines from manufacture MUST have full synthetic to survive..

For sure if you use syn in an engine that can run OK on mineral oil you can treble their advised oil change..

I put Mobil semi syn in the Vigo, good for 10,000km, full syn would be good for 15,000km and probably beyond..

I would go dino oil, 5000 km change with filter. If you do low mileage then oil change intervals will be far apart anyway. Done that with vehicles that are parked 6 months at a time and still get over 200,000 km from them no problem. All going strong today.

Ok thanks guys, I will do the next service myself, which includes new platinum spark plugs for ‎฿2100 according to Nissan. I haven'rt serviced a car for years.

Another question: what do I do with the old oil? I imagine most Thais would just snort and point at the nearest watercourse if I ask them.

36 minutes ago, cooked said:

Ok thanks guys, I will do the next service myself, which includes new platinum spark plugs for ‎฿2100 according to Nissan. I haven'rt serviced a car for years.

Another question: what do I do with the old oil? I imagine most Thais would just snort and point at the nearest watercourse if I ask them.

Have a little read ... it will put you mind at rest even more ... just don't go cheap on the oil!!  http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_degradation.htm

I'm not too sure about those plugs though... maybe ask a separate question. Usually 250thb plugs are okay for general use.  Your originals should be good for 100K Kms  

4 hours ago, cooked said:

Platinum plugs on the Almera should get some edge at your next traffic light race. :laugh:

I collect old drained oil in a square bowl ( easier for pouring ) it is then put into my previous oil containers, when l'm near a garage place that services cars l give it to them to pour into their used oil drum containers. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Platinum plugs on the Almera should get some edge at your next traffic light race. :laugh:

I collect old drained oil in a square bowl ( easier for pouring ) it is then put into my previous oil containers, when l'm near a garage place that services cars l give it to them to pour into their used oil drum containers. :thumbsup:

Or next service..............sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif

Archived