Tourists blamed for pirate goods problems as ministry heeds PM's call

webfact

6 hours ago, seancbk said:

Let me try to explain some things to you because you clearly do not understand the difference between fake products, copied products, overrun products and copyright infringement.

A product such a pair of headphones can be copied because the components used are known and there are always cheaper versions of those components that can be used, from cheaper plastic, cheaper wires, cheaper magnets, cheaper foam etc etc.    What you end up with is a copy made cheaper and sold cheaper.    The audio quality may actually be the same, but it is still made cheaper and although they may sound the same, perhaps the plastic will degrade when left in the sun, perhaps the foam ear pads will fall apart after 6 months of use instead of several years, maybe the cheap solder holding the electrical parts will crack after a short time, maybe the wire will break because its not high quality.

The fact is there really is a difference between a cheap copy and a more expensive original, it may not be the audio quality that is different but the difference exists all the same.   

Some products like clothes it is very hard to detect any difference, the clothes may be made in the same factory as the real thing... in fact they may be the real thing, just not paid for the copyright holder.   
Typically a brand owner will specify the fabric, sewing quality (thread used) etc and tell a factory they want 1000 shirts.   If the factory makes 1200 shirts using the same fabric, pattern and thread they then have 200 identical shirts which they can sell as 'originals' but at a lower costs, because the factory does not have the huge international marketing costs associated with a brand.   The brand owner is inadvertently paying to promote these extra shirts.   

There is no difference at all in between a 'real' shirt and an 'overrun' shirt in this case.... the only difference is the price you will pay depending where you buy from.    But it is theft of the brands property plain and simple.

So you have no issue buying copied headphones that sound ok to you, but are just not made to a high standard, knowing that you are cheating the brand owner out of money and at the same time encouraging theft and illegal activity.    You have no issue with buying a shirt that is 70% cheaper knowing that you are again taking from the legitimate owner of the brand and encouraging illegal activity.

But what happens when you need a drug to alleviate pain or perhaps save your life, and the drug is fake?     Because it is just as easy to make fake drugs as it is to make fake headphones and extra shirts in a factory.

You see by buying into the fake stuff you are encouraging people to try making fakes of everything.

What happens when the fake car part the garage fitted because it was cheaper, suddenly fails or breaks causing your car to have a serious accident, killing your family?     Just as easy to make fake car parts as fake headphones.

You just want to think that you've somehow got one over on rich people, you got headphones that you think looked and sounded the same, you paid less and you stopped the brand and their multimillionaire bosses from ripping you off.    Well done, except you didn't.    You got an inferior product with no warranty, you are wearing a copy of the brand but you are still walking around promoting it (aren't you smart).   

I'll say it again because it's the thing that gets to me the most, just because you may not be rich is no reason to think its right to rip off people that are.  

Wanting to rip off rich people just because they are rich and you don't like it makes you a very very sad individual.

If you don't want to put money into the pockets of the companies you think are too rich, why not buy products from smaller companies.  Although economic lesson for you, those companies will start to also get rich and I guess one day you'll think they are making too much also.

Whilst I entirely agree about the 'cheaper materials/components' part of your post about cheap copies, I'd argue that even top quality electrical product brands suffer from the Thai climate - making it ever more difficult to find the 'right' product that has longevity.

I'd also argue that the 'brand names' charge way OTT as a marketing strategy - only the rich can afford to buy the product is a marketing ploy.

Consequently, why on earth would anyone care (other than the company and those paying the OTT prices for the genuine product) if cheap copies can be bought on market stalls?  The buyer knows its a fake and doesn't expect it to last for v long - where's the problem?

Personally, I've never understood the desire for over-priced brand names - and understand even less why anyone would want a brand name advertised on their T-shirt/jeans etc. etc.!  The closest I came was paying a small fortune (IMO) in Central for a handbag and purse from a company of which I'd never heard (and the 'brand name' was not displayed for all to see) .  They turned out to be good value as five years later they're still in pretty much in 'new' condition, despite being stuffed under my scooter seat every time I go out :lol:!

Edit - but that purchase was largely luck as I 'trusted' that the high price tag for an unknown brand was likely to mean genuine quality :smile:

Edited by dick dasterdly

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure. Why Not blame the tourists for this, you blame them for just about everything else. Maybe this is just a small compensation for the extra price (double pricing and more) that you have

to pay when you visit a national park. Why not look at where the real problem is, if it is a problem.  Copy you can afford, real is just a rip off. 

Don't get me wrong but please cancel your subscription to Cartoon Network and forget the Laurel & Hardy reruns. 

Tourists, being creamed at Krabi for considerably higher fees cannot afford the genuine real stuff anymore and hence spend it on fakes. Thai producers, smugglers and vendors are kind enough to avail this selection of pirated, copies and trademark-breaching goods so the tourists still take home memories of a lifetime - see that Russian lady who fed bread to fish which, nobody referred to that detail, she most likely got offered against money on the boat itself (that's at least what happened to me years ago). 

You simply cannot make this s"*ç%ht up - well done! 

On a more serious note; I believe all this is either pure stupidity of the first order or possibly a huge smoke screen - assume though that the smoke is secondary! 

On 23/02/2017 at 0:18 PM, seancbk said:

Let me try to explain some things to you because you clearly do not understand the difference between fake products, copied products, overrun products and copyright infringement.

A product such a pair of headphones can be copied because the components used are known and there are always cheaper versions of those components that can be used, from cheaper plastic, cheaper wires, cheaper magnets, cheaper foam etc etc.    What you end up with is a copy made cheaper and sold cheaper.    The audio quality may actually be the same, but it is still made cheaper and although they may sound the same, perhaps the plastic will degrade when left in the sun, perhaps the foam ear pads will fall apart after 6 months of use instead of several years, maybe the cheap solder holding the electrical parts will crack after a short time, maybe the wire will break because its not high quality.

The fact is there really is a difference between a cheap copy and a more expensive original, it may not be the audio quality that is different but the difference exists all the same.   

Some products like clothes it is very hard to detect any difference, the clothes may be made in the same factory as the real thing... in fact they may be the real thing, just not paid for the copyright holder.   
Typically a brand owner will specify the fabric, sewing quality (thread used) etc and tell a factory they want 1000 shirts.   If the factory makes 1200 shirts using the same fabric, pattern and thread they then have 200 identical shirts which they can sell as 'originals' but at a lower costs, because the factory does not have the huge international marketing costs associated with a brand.   The brand owner is inadvertently paying to promote these extra shirts.   

There is no difference at all in between a 'real' shirt and an 'overrun' shirt in this case.... the only difference is the price you will pay depending where you buy from.    But it is theft of the brands property plain and simple.

So you have no issue buying copied headphones that sound ok to you, but are just not made to a high standard, knowing that you are cheating the brand owner out of money and at the same time encouraging theft and illegal activity.    You have no issue with buying a shirt that is 70% cheaper knowing that you are again taking from the legitimate owner of the brand and encouraging illegal activity.

But what happens when you need a drug to alleviate pain or perhaps save your life, and the drug is fake?     Because it is just as easy to make fake drugs as it is to make fake headphones and extra shirts in a factory.

You see by buying into the fake stuff you are encouraging people to try making fakes of everything.

What happens when the fake car part the garage fitted because it was cheaper, suddenly fails or breaks causing your car to have a serious accident, killing your family?     Just as easy to make fake car parts as fake headphones.

You just want to think that you've somehow got one over on rich people, you got headphones that you think looked and sounded the same, you paid less and you stopped the brand and their multimillionaire bosses from ripping you off.    Well done, except you didn't.    You got an inferior product with no warranty, you are wearing a copy of the brand but you are still walking around promoting it (aren't you smart).   

I'll say it again because it's the thing that gets to me the most, just because you may not be rich is no reason to think its right to rip off people that are.  

Wanting to rip off rich people just because they are rich and you don't like it makes you a very very sad individual.

If you don't want to put money into the pockets of the companies you think are too rich, why not buy products from smaller companies.  Although economic lesson for you, those companies will start to also get rich and I guess one day you'll think they are making too much also.

Ex girlfriend's sister worked for a well known brand factory making sweatshirts in the quality dept'. She would bring back over-runs, as you say for every 1000 a few extra are made to cover for rejects. I would get them in the original bag with original labels and retail rec' price labels but only paid 300 to 500 baht for them.

Tourists should just get to the airport, leave whatever money they have and get the hell out of Thailand. That, or even better, just send/donate it to the country and stay away alltogether. That seems to be the underlying message from a very xenophobic society where double pricing and ripping off tourists are officially endorsed. I, for one, after reading what's going on in Thailand, am close to changing my plans to live there. People get thrown in jail for nothing, or very minor offenses, killers are let go because they still are underaged, which by the way, if I understood this right, is 21 years in Thailand.
I have been living in Spain for quite a long time and in the old days, when general Franco was still around, one had to tread carefully no to get into trouble. Tourist however where never molested or treated badly in any way as the general new all to well how important the revenue was for the country. So, if Thailand doesn't get it's act sorted out, they can say goodbye to the tourist industry. I bet there are a few places out there which will only be to happy to fill the gap.

Definitely stay in Spain and take out a subscription to the Daily Mail, although we do a good line in military juntas here so you never know, you might be reminded of "the old days".

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect