Sweden hits back at Trump, defends generous immigration policies

webfact

Sweden hits back at Trump, defends generous immigration policies

By Johan Ahlander

REUTERS

r2.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump is interviewed by Reuters in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, U.S., February 23, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden hit back on Thursday at criticism from U.S. President Donald Trump, defending its generous immigration policies and saying the diversity from thousands of asylum seekers would build a stronger society.

Sweden's image as a safe and stable society has come under close scrutiny in recent days after Trump appeared to refer to an attack there that had not happened and then tweeted that generous immigration policies were not working.

"The next time I hope the president, if he's going to speak about Sweden, is better informed about what the conditions really are here," Swedish Justice and Migration Minister Morgan Johansson told Reuters in an interview.

Swedish unemployment figures continue to fall and public finances are in sound order, despite record number of immigrants, Johansson said.

This official view is not without its critics, however.

The leader of the nationalist Sweden Democrat party, vying for second place in the polls after seeing their support surge in recent years, wrote on Wednesday that far from overplaying the negative effects of immigration, Trump had understated them.

"Riots and social unrest have become a part of everyday life. Police officers, firefighters and ambulance personnel are regularly attacked," Jimmie Akesson wrote in a Wall Street Journal article co-signed by Mattias Karlsson, the leader of the party's parliamentary group. "Gang violence is booming."

Akesson also said official crime statistics show a sharp rise in sexual attacks against women between 2014 and 2015.

This is true but the wider context is more complex, said Stina Holmberg of the Swedish Crime Prevention Council.

The council's 2015 Crime Survey confirms that sexual crimes rose in that period, but only after trending downward from 2005 to 2012 before rising, she noted.

The figures do not show soaring crime of rising lawlessness among immigrants, she added.

"We have very, very few cases of any of them (asylum seekers) committing crimes," Johansson said. "If you think that we have given protection to 143,000 Syrian refugees since 2011 you hardly ever see any of them in the crime statistics."

Still, unemployment rates for foreign-born citizens are about three times higher than for those born in Sweden. Housing and social problems are rife in some areas that have taken in a large part of the refugees.

Johansson conceded there remained much to be done. "We have to work even harder with integration so that these people can be a part of society," he said.

"If it is anything that we know as Europeans, with our history, is where you can end up if you're playing different religious or ethnic groups against each other. It will never end well."

(Additional reporting by Simon Johnson; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-24

In the past week I have seen many videos of rioting, burning cars, and clashes with the police in Stockholm. Is it fake news? I work in an industry that services tourists. I come into contact with many people from many walks of life and many countries. Without exception, all the people I have met from Sweden say that the immigration policies have put their heritage and culture, and indeed their country in severe crisis. Many are saying that Sweden is already <deleted>. I never heard any of them spouting any political bias, just concern for their own country. 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

the diversity from thousands of asylum seekers would build a stronger society.

How is this possible when they cannot, and will never, integrate. 

As a previous poster quoted Swedish Nationals as saying....Sweden is <deleted>....Sorry, but all of Europe is <deleted>.

1 hour ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

In the past week I have seen many videos of rioting, burning cars, and clashes with the police in Stockholm. Is it fake news?

Like the infamous Alt/right fav shared video where the Aussie 60 Minutes crew in Sweden 'just happened' to be guided by an alt/right anti-immigrant leader (who just happens to represent Swedish anti-immigration site Avpixlat, which just happens to be connected to Sweden's anti-immigrant Democrat Party) then 'just happened' to be set upon by a gang, who also 'just happened' to be conveniently hooded and  at the same spot at the same time? Now, a similar seemingly 'made for Alt/Right TV' local riot which 'just happened' to come 2 days after Trump's mis-statement. Post-justification? Fake news? Orchestrated? Nyet, probably just a coincidence. But great fodder for Alt/Right fear-mongerer's and those who likely look under their beds each night out of fear a radical 'moose-lamb' may be laying in wait...

I prefer not to listen to news reports, politicians, or non-domestic liberal sympathisers.. I prefer to listen to people who actually live in these areas that are being flooded with immigrants. From what I've seen and heard, the situation is bad. I have had first hand experience visiting Aarhus in Denmark. A ghetto has been formed in the city there and it has become a no-go area for locals. I felt very intimidated there, being scowled at as I walked past gangs of men loitering around in packs. Not a very pleasant experience in an otherwise very pleasant city

What the SD is stating is sadly true, I say sadly because I don't thrive from shouting wolf ,nor do I have a political agenda.

However I live in Sweden and see first hand every day the dismantling of the society I grew up in.

For instance, a large percentage of Swedens old age retirees are struggling to make ends meet, and why ? When "refugees " that never contributed are lifting substantial amounts each month in welfare (especially if they have many children) which most do.

It's a thorn in the taxpayers side and a reason to question if a country of 9.5 m can sustain the numbers we carelessly let through our borders.

The riots and endless talking about how we should accommodate the muslims in their never ending demands of how we should respect their cultur,rules,tradition or else be labeled racists is getting tiresome.

The way the government is playing with statistics to hide the truth about the rise in crime is starting to get pathetic.

I meet the ordinary "Joe" and "Jane" everyday in my line of work and these days there is only one topic that seems to be important....how will this mayhem end.

Next year's election might be more or less only about this issue, and that is sad, as I said in the beginning.

And before someone reply with "facts" from BRÅ  (latest survey 2005,and absolete or any other Government institution) come and spend a weekend in any of the pittoresque enclaves we have in abundance , and after that I will gladly have a discussion about Sweden.

So the Malmo police chief was lying then? Or perhaps just not up to the job?

Has he been replaced yet? By someone of a more, er, enlightened, view of society?

What riots, no go zones, gang rapes, - not in Sweden. All is utopia and politically correct.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

So the Malmo police chief was lying then? Or perhaps just not up to the job?

Has he been replaced yet? By someone of a more, er, enlightened, view of society?

What riots, no go zones, gang rapes, - not in Sweden. All is utopia and politically correct.

Chief of police in south of sweden,(its a she btw)is replaced.That was made to save face of the chief of police for the whole Sweden.The big chief is a leftie,who used to be a punkrocker,whit a song called "<deleted> whores in Bangkok"(translated).I know you dont believe me,but if you check it up you will be amazed,and then maybe you understand how bad the situation is in my once wonderfull Sweden.

8 hours ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

In the past week I have seen many videos of rioting, burning cars, and clashes with the police in Stockholm. Is it fake news? I work in an industry that services tourists. I come into contact with many people from many walks of life and many countries. Without exception, all the people I have met from Sweden say that the immigration policies have put their heritage and culture, and indeed their country in severe crisis. Many are saying that Sweden is already <deleted>. I never heard any of them spouting any political bias, just concern for their own country. 

In the USA, these people would be called racist, nazis, fascists, white supremacists, white nationalists, the alt right...and on and on...whites have a culture too...culture is not the trademark of coloured people exclusively...and liberals are willing--even eager--to see white culture vanish...despite the obvious achievements throughout history...

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Sweden hit back on Thursday at criticism from U.S. President Donald Trump, defending its generous immigration policies and saying the diversity from thousands of asylum seekers would build a stronger society.

Was it a weak society before they opened the floodgates to all the riff raff?

Headline should say "swedish lefty government hits back at trump"…many ordinary swedes know he speaketh the truth and are thankful that at least someone does.

Sweden is a country in denial, and the Swedish will pay for the mistakes of the leftylites. It ill Only take a few years for the whole system to break. The Swedes are weak, and so is their culture, easy prey for the pickings. You can say goodbye to your social welfare system, goodbye for free hospitals, goodbye to free schools, and goodbye to your pensions as when the immigrants are finished, there will be nothing left in the pot. 

Liberals despise white culture.

They only wish to promote ethnic minority culture within white culture.

Guess what liberals? Whites in Sweden will soon become a minority group.

What will you do then? Which culture will you represent then?

Guess what? You will have no choice. Your opinions will be punished by sharia law!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, sujoop said:

Like the infamous Alt/right fav shared video where the Aussie 60 Minutes crew in Sweden 'just happened' to be guided by an alt/right anti-immigrant leader (who just happens to represent Swedish anti-immigration site Avpixlat, which just happens to be connected to Sweden's anti-immigrant Democrat Party) then 'just happened' to be set upon by a gang, who also 'just happened' to be conveniently hooded and  at the same spot at the same time? Now, a similar seemingly 'made for Alt/Right TV' local riot which 'just happened' to come 2 days after Trump's mis-statement. Post-justification? Fake news? Orchestrated? Nyet, probably just a coincidence. But great fodder for Alt/Right fear-mongerer's and those who likely look under their beds each night out of fear a radical 'moose-lamb' may be laying in wait...

Stay where you are leftie,in Sweden we already have to many of your kind.The biggest threat of the country.

There are many neighbours in my village who come from Sweden and still visit there frequently and without exception those I have talked to believe that their country has been ruined by all these immigrants. Once again it appears that the leaders of many EU countries have completely lost touch with the feelings of their electorate and these so-called leaders will eventually pay the price at the ballot box.

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Just more of Trump looking for a cause to fit his fascist solutions.

But note that he will not ask his State Department nor American intelligence agencies for the truth concerning the impact of Muslim immigration into Sweden.

And they would give the truth if asked?

8 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Liberals despise white culture.

They only wish to promote ethnic minority culture within white culture.

Guess what liberals? Whites in Sweden will soon become a minority group.

What will you do then? Which culture will you represent then?

Guess what? You will have no choice. Your opinions will be punished by sharia law!

Complete and utter rubbish, as usual a member of the clique trying to outdo each other with inflammatory nonsense.

A bit of detail,  Pew Research which is often quoted by those right of centre estimates those of the Islamic faith in Sweden will represent 6.5 percent of the population by 2020.

http://www.thelocal.se/20161214/swedes-wildly-overestimate-muslim-population-survey

I am Swedish and what I have seen thus far; that most Swedish people that are pro Trump or Swedishdemocrates that live in Thailand is:

They complain that immigrants that comes to Sweden doesn't integrate into the Swedish society, but yet they come to Thailand:

Does not speak the language after many years in Thailand

Break laws of Thailand daily, weekly

Only have foreign friends

Are immigrants but complain about multi culture in Sweden?

Get most of their news from alt right Facebook pages

Such hypocrites 

I am Swedish and what I have seen thus far; that most Swedish people that are pro Trump or Swedishdemocrates that live in Thailand is:

They complain that immigrants that comes to Sweden doesn't integrate into the Swedish society, but yet they come to Thailand:

Does not speak the language after many years in Thailand
Break laws of Thailand daily, weekly
Only have foreign friends
Are immigrants but complain about multi culture in Sweden?
Get most of their news from alt right Facebook pages

Such hypocrites 

Please list the laws that they break with proven links?

And how many of these so called people in Thailand demonstrate daily on the streets, demanding Christian law or to change the laws of Thailandื

How many burn Thai flags denouncing Thai law?

Please feel free to discuss this hate of Thailand that you speculate....

On 2/25/2017 at 0:56 AM, Grubster said:

And they would give the truth if asked?

Why not? They swore a duty to protect America, not Trump.

Maybe knowing they lack loyalty to Trump that Trump will not ask - the better to keep to his (aka Bannon's) fascist fantasies.

11 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Why not? They swore a duty to protect America, not Trump.

Maybe knowing they lack loyalty to Trump that Trump will not ask - the better to keep to his (aka Bannon's) fascist fantasies.

The many Swedes I know have a far different outlook on the state of the immigrations in Sweden than you do. I am happy to have a president that doesn't need an agency tell him what to think or say. Most past presidents always check very closely to see which side of an issue is most popular before saying anything. We hired him to do a job not win a popularity contest.

2 minutes ago, Grubster said:

The many Swedes I know have a far different outlook on the state of the immigrations in Sweden than you do. I am happy to have a president that doesn't need an agency tell him what to think or say.

Or to tell him what are facts and what are falsehoods.