Trump again vows to bring back U.S. jobs, but offers few details

webfact

Trump again vows to bring back U.S. jobs, but offers few details

By David Shepardson and Ginger Gibson

REUTERS

r4.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with manufacturing CEOs at the White House in Washington, U.S. February 23, 2017. Flanking Trump are his senior advisor Jared Kushner (L) and Merck CEO Ken Frazier (3rd L). REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump told chief executives of major U.S. companies on Thursday he plans to bring millions of jobs back to the United States, but offered no specific plan on how to reverse a decades-long decline in factory jobs.

In his first month in office, Trump has pressured a number of U.S. companies to hire in the United States but he has yet to publicly propose legislation tackling the big economic issues he campaigned on in 2016, including a job-boosting tax or infrastructure programme. He will address a joint session of Congress on Feb. 28.

In a meeting with some two dozen CEOs at the White House, Trump said the United States had lost about one-third of manufacturing jobs since it joined the North American Free Trade Agreement in 1994 and asserted about 70,000 factories have closed since China joined the World Trade Organization 16 years ago.

But the Bureau of Labor Statistics says the number of private sector manufacturing facilities in the United States has fallen less than that, from nearly 400,000 in 2001 to 344,000 last year.

Lower wages, automation, foreign competition and other factors account for the steep decline in manufacturing jobs, experts say.

Trump has promised to roll out proposals that he says could have favourable ramifications for companies, including a plan to overhaul the tax code and an infrastructure package that was part of his presidential campaign promises to create millions of jobs. He has declined to specify what he had in mind.

"We’re going to find out how we bring more jobs back," he told the CEOs.

General Electric Co <GE.N> chief executive Jeff Immelt said after the meeting in a Twitter post that "tax reform a high priority for job creation. Business community will come together to help find a workable solution."

Ken Frazier, CEO of Merck & Co <MRK.N>, told reporters "it is very clear the president is interested in lessening the tax burden."

Several of the CEOs who met Trump are part of a coalition that supports a so-called border adjustment tax, which would impose a 20 percent tax on goods that are imported into the country while providing write-offs for goods that are exported.

In an interview with Reuters, Trump spoke favourably about the border adjustment tax proposal being pushed by Republicans in the U.S. Congress, but did not specifically endorse it.

Trump is scheduled to dine at a Washington hotel on Thursday evening with members of The Business Council, a group of major U.S. company CEOs, including Immelt, Goldman Sachs' Lloyd Blankfein and JP Morgan Chase's Jamie Dimon.

(Reporting by David Shepardson and Ginger Gibson; Editing by Howard Goller and Alistair Bell)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-24

Would you pick California Oranges for 3.50 an hour with no Medical benefits.

Probably not, but immigrants will.

That is where all the jobs went, because Americans have become Fat and Lazy.

My first job in 1960 at age 14 was picking Tobacco by hand 12 hours a day for 30 dollars a week if I was lucky.

4 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

My first job in 1960 at age 14 was picking Tobacco by hand 12 hours a day for 30 dollars a week if I was lucky.

An interesting read.  Needs to be framed around the fact these jobs are not permanent and a full 40 hour week is not always available.

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2011/jun/14/gary-black/some-farm-workers-do-earn-high-wages-not-all-do/

We found that crop workers make about $9.18 an hour. Vegetable and melon workers were near $7.78.  Blueberry workers made about $6.70 an hour. The soybean rate is $16.65, but that is for workers operating complex farm machinery, a relatively small number of workers.

Lack of details? Trump supporters don't need details, it's all about the anger for them, not the truth. I'm all for increasing opportunities for the American work force but the limited details that Mr. Trump and his staff provide are usually either wrong or have been proven unworkable. 

17 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/statements/2011/jun/14/gary-black/some-farm-workers-do-earn-high-wages-not-all-do/

We found that crop workers make about $9.18 an hour. Vegetable and melon workers were near $7.78.  Blueberry workers made about $6.70 an hour. The soybean rate is $16.65, but that is for workers operating complex farm machinery, a relatively small number of workers.

So there we are as this quote shows. The problem is not illegals it is their employers. Are the farms even owned by Americans? Or are they foreign owned? 
  Slaves are history but hiring illegal immigrants at very low wages is ethical.

Real immigrants who are legal would probably do this work even as low paid as it is. 

Anyone who tries to rationalize illegal immigrant labour in my humble opinion is a closet slave advocate.

America is not about labour abuse and does not need to be abusive to labour to prosper.

Labour made America and companies need to respect and support that.

Edited by lovelomsak

4 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

First moved to CA in 62. No one other than the Hispanics lasted a week ever in the fields. Second year there I had a Summer job punching the cut cards for the workers. Truth hurts.

3 hours ago, kamahele said:

Lack of details? Trump supporters don't need details, it's all about the anger for them, not the truth. I'm all for increasing opportunities for the American work force but the limited details that Mr. Trump and his staff provide are usually either wrong or have been proven unworkable. 

He has zero clue. He states the obvious hopes of many but that is all he accomplishes .  Supporters will not re-elect him either.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

"We’re going to find out how we bring more jobs back," he told the CEOs.

I should live so long to see him pull this rabbit out of a hat. Notice its on the back burner. Now he and his congressional mob are to busy killing the free school lunch for the needy to give the saved money to the greedy. 

http://americandownfall.com/gop-proposes-bill-to-cut-funding-of-school-lunches-for-students-in-need/?utm_source=American+Downfall+E-Alerts+Members&utm_campaign=2ddb4e3738-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_02_23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6d30d34b8d-2ddb4e3738-13672267

11 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Impossible to bring most jobs back.  

Also technology advances (innovation!), strong US dollar that hurts exports, a expanding digital economy that requires fewer workers (or even their physical presence), shift to an economy based on intellectual property, services (ie., healthcare) and evolution of emerging global economies into competitive developed economies. This isn't the 1960's-1970's. Trump would do better to provide free college education and/or specialized training for the newest economic sectors.

13 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Impossible to bring most jobs back.  And as has been discussed before, automation is a key reason for loss of manufacturing jobs. 

Additionally, I wonder whether dt has seriously analysed the possible retort of some of the other big countries and it's impact on the US.

It's not impossible, but it's also not easy by any means.  Jobs just don't come swinging back like a pendulum under the force of gravity.  They need a really good reason to come back, and there's a big hysteresis loop involved too.  Find out why jobs left in the first place (if they even did), do something to counter that force, then provide a little extra icing on top to sweeten the deal, then you might - just might - be able to get some jobs to come back.

One of two things will happen.  Did jobs come back?

Yes ---> Take credit

No ---> Blame Obama and the Big Mess® he left for trump.

18 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Impossible to bring most jobs back.  And as has been discussed before, automation is a key reason for loss of manufacturing jobs. 

Really, so we send our Iron ore to china and they dump it in a machine and it spits out all these products to be shipped back, Yep, brilliant.

15 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

$30 a week in 1960 bought a lot more than minimum wage today. So you think a guy that won't pick Oranges for $3.50 per hour is fat and lazy huh. Nice. I guess you think americans should live three families in a small home like these immigrant hero's of yours do.

5 hours ago, Grubster said:

Really, so we send our Iron ore to china and they dump it in a machine and it spits out all these products to be shipped back, Yep, brilliant.

If they can do it cheaper, then why not?  Absolutely brilliant!  Deal with the few that work in that industry and put our focus on other industries where we excel.  Education is a key here and Trump's not focusing on that.

We tried a trade war with this and lost.  Sure, saved a few jobs in the steel industry....for a short time....and lost a bunch of others due to retaliation by the Chinese.  Brilliant!

Only way to change that is by changing labour laws, environmental regulations, etc. Not a path I would want to go on. And then you'll need the factory workers as well, willing to work for 5$ an hour and don't care they will be burned out or death before they're 50.

sent using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

He has stopped companies from leaving. Keep doing a great job.

BS.  It's impossible for him to stop this.  Below is a good example.  Trump's hot air did nothing but get him some press time and keep his followers happy. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ford-cancels-mexican-plant-still-moving-small-car-production-n702761

Ford Cancels Mexican Plant but Is Still Moving Small Car Production

But while the move is being hailed by some as a victory for the president-elect, a closer look at the announcement, made by senior Ford executives at a suburban Detroit assembly plant, did not actually reverse the central decision the automaker announced last April.

Small car production, such as the compact Focus model, will still move to Mexico, just into an existing Ford plant in Hermosillo.

30 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

He has stopped companies from leaving. Keep doing a great job.

Let the Trump family bring their foreign outsourced manufactured goods back to the US before insisting other American companies do the same. Place a 30% import tax on those products that are unfairly out competing against American sourced products.

But instead the Trump family uses taxpayer funds to fly around the world making foreign deals to benefit the family.

Hypocrites.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Education is a key here and Trump's not focusing on that.

Precisely. 

At a meeting with CEOs from factories in a range of industries, the message he was given was that plenty of jobs exist, but the skills don't. Even companies with in-house training programs were finding it very difficult to hire trainees because they lack basic math and reading skills - one CEO said he had 50 trainees in his program, but could handle 500 if he could find them.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/23/the-associated-press-us-factory-ceos-to-trump-jobs-exist-skills-dont.html

I read another article that said that there was a severe shortage of skilled personnel in the residential construction industry with an estimate of 200,000 jobs available right now.

Unions were traditionally the gateway to good paying blue collar jobs because they sponsored apprenticeship programs, often with the support of companies in their industry.  Republicans have spent decades destroying unions, and with that decline, the apprenticeship programs suffered as well.

5 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

Precisely. 

At a meeting with CEOs from factories in a range of industries, the message he was given was that plenty of jobs exist, but the skills don't. Even companies with in-house training programs were finding it very difficult to hire trainees because they lack basic math and reading skills - one CEO said he had 50 trainees in his program, but could handle 500 if he could find them.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/23/the-associated-press-us-factory-ceos-to-trump-jobs-exist-skills-dont.html

I read another article that said that there was a severe shortage of skilled personnel in the residential construction industry with an estimate of 200,000 jobs available right now.

Unions were traditionally the gateway to good paying blue collar jobs because they sponsored apprenticeship programs, often with the support of companies in their industry.  Republicans have spent decades destroying unions, and with that decline, the apprenticeship programs suffered as well.

100% agree.  But the demise of the unions was also the fault of the unions.  There's more they could have done instead of just being combative.  I use to work in a union in Vegas.  Basically run like the mafia.  Though in the beginning, unions achieved a lot.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

100% agree.  But the demise of the unions was also the fault of the unions.  There's more they could have done instead of just being combative.  I use to work in a union in Vegas.  Basically run like the mafia.  Though in the beginning, unions achieved a lot.

You belonged to a union in Las Vegas, and expected something different?  heh...

Unquestionably, some unions were their own worst enemies. You can hardly pick a union in NYC that is not riddled with corruption.My dad lost his Teamsters pension because of their shenanigans.

Administrations going back to Eisenhower went after the corrupt unions, and the effort continues to this day.  But that effort pales beside the Republican campaign against all unions including the squeaky clean ones which had one basis - union members tend to vote Democratic.

2 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

You belonged to a union in Las Vegas, and expected something different?  heh...

Unquestionably, some unions were their own worst enemies. You can hardly pick a union in NYC that is not riddled with corruption.My dad lost his Teamsters pension because of their shenanigans.

Administrations going back to Eisenhower went after the corrupt unions, and the effort continues to this day.  But that effort pales beside the Republican campaign against all unions including the squeaky clean ones which had one basis - union members tend to vote Democratic.

Didn't have a choice.  Sign up or don't get the job.  Or, try to do it with no membership and risk getting beat up. There were some really nasty people working in some of these unions.  After my experiences, it's hard to be favorable towards them.

Trump is definitely against them.  Seems more so than most others.  I think there's a happy comprise.  But we know Trump's not into compromises.  LOL.

https://www.thenation.com/article/donald-trump-is-the-anti-labor-day-candidate-running-against-fair-wages-worker-rights-and-unions/

Donald Trump, the billionaire candidate who has argued that “having a low minimum wage is not a bad thing for this country” and complained in a 2015 GOP debate that wages are “too high,” is running for president this fall on the most virulently anti-worker and anti-union platform in the history of his Republican Party.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

But the demise of the unions was also the fault of the unions. 

So to Republican-controlled states with anti-union legislation and/or incentives.

Seattle unionized Boeing decided to open a second Dreamliner plant in South Carolina that is one of the least unionized state. Boeing's motivation was cost. By opening another facility in SC, Boeing avoids having more unionized employees in its Seattle facilities that would give the union stronger negotiating leverage, ie., wage & benefit advantages. With pressure from Boeing management, President Trump and the state, new employees in SC voted against unionizing. A win for SC at the expense of Washington State.