AIS confirms “secret” operation to block mobile phone and internet service at temple

snoop1130

AIS confirms “secret” operation to block mobile phone and internet service at temple

By The Nation

c999d8048a4e061b43736149c8a13eb1-sld.jpeg

AIS, the country’s largest mobile phone operator, may be paying the price for offering good customer service.

When a client complained about poor signal in the area near the besieged Dhammakaya Temple, the company apologised for the inconvenience and said that “the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has asked AIS for cooperation to restrict mobile phone usage in areas under control [declared by Article 44] in Pathum Thani.

However, the signal block was meant to be part of a covert operation at the besieged temple.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307162

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-2-24

13 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Oh right, so it was secret ?  BS.  You can get cell signal blockers anywhere so I am sure the military/police/boy scouts/government buffoons could have bought them on ebay without asking AIS.  Just AIS trying to justify their crap, usual service, by blaming it on others, a traditional Thai trait.

Personally I think AIS is the best run telco in Thailand.

41 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Oh right, so it was secret ?  BS.  You can get cell signal blockers anywhere so I am sure the military/police/boy scouts/government buffoons could have bought them on ebay without asking AIS.  Just AIS trying to justify their crap, usual service, by blaming it on others, a traditional Thai trait.

Perhaps they wanted to do more than just block it, e.g. route the traffic through their own cell tower.

very easy to setup a cellphone "tower or site" that acts just like a normal cell except all the traffic is intercepted. Not even necessary to ask AIS or True to turn their sites off.

And good hacker can make one of these with a HackRF. I know because I have one in the states.

The government version hardware is available here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker

7 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

very easy to setup a cellphone "tower or site" that acts just like a normal cell except all the traffic is intercepted. Not even necessary to ask AIS or True to turn their sites off.

And good hacker can make one of these with a HackRF. I know because I have one in the states.

The government version hardware is available here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker

why do you have this tracker?

and easy to attach a cellphone jammer to a drone and just fly it up to a high point like the top of the UFO dome. And just land and wait for the jammer batteries to die and then fly back and repeat.

Or jammers could be placed in vehicles. 

Of course everyone cellphone within about 100 meters or so will not work.

There are WiFi jammers also.

6 minutes ago, bangkok101 said:

why do you have this tracker?

I have a Hack RF, not the Stingray. And also I am an American so I am free to buy all kinds of cool stuff. I am also a Licensed Amateur radio operator. 

HackRF:

https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Getting-Started-with-HackRF-and-GNU-Radio

Edited by NCC1701A

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I have a Hack RF, not the Stingray. And also I am an American so I am free to buy all kinds of cool stuff. I am also a Licensed Amateur radio operator. 

HackRF:

https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf/wiki/Getting-Started-with-HackRF-and-GNU-Radio

yeah, intercepting cell phone transmission would be highly illegal not to mention unethical.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

No but doing so means it's the only game in town...

Why does your phone in (near) this "temple" not work?

Why are AC and lights off?

Why does the toilet not flush?

That's a  secret :cheesy:

Silly childish mystery mongering.

Taking such measures was discussed from the beginning and absolutely necessary to empty this robber's den.

(additionally interrupt all wired connections to the temple)

I doubt that jamming was done.

Intercept with IMSI catcher etc.? I also doubt it.

Operators got their 44 and switched off the cells/towers in the area.

Done.

Still there is a chance that radio units or satellite phones are used (much harder to shut down I guess).

On 2/24/2017 at 5:55 AM, whatawonderfulday said:

Perhaps its time to go home ... where everything is so perfect ... and you won't have to put up with any "traditional Thai trait."