Bangkok air--I can't ever do it again

cmtg1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On February 25, 2560 BE at 10:08 PM, Trujillo said:

Absolutely, and yes, I am a frequent flier with them. Not only that, I have purchased tickets for others and have had no complaints of your nature. 

How many times have you taken BKK Air and over what length of time? In essence, what is your sample size for panning the airline? 

hmm you've purchased tickets for others you say. Do you have a travel agent work permit???

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

This is what makes your flight cheaper, companies have to pay to use a "tunnel" directly into the terminal.

what a ridiculous reply. If the flights were on time they could keep there slot at the terminal

14 minutes ago, cmtg1 said:

what a ridiculous reply. If the flights were on time they could keep there slot at the terminal

Have you ever caught a flight on time that landed on time and yet still used a bus to the terminal? I know I have many times - because it is a cost saving measure.

" Many low-cost airlines park at remote stands as this is cheaper than parking at a jet-bridge."

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/23805/who-decides-whether-an-airline-docks-at-a-jetbridge-or-parks-at-a-remote-stand

(this link does mention about delays, but that is not the primary factor - cost is)

10 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Have you ever caught a flight on time that landed on time and yet still used a bus to the terminal? I know I have many times - because it is a cost saving measure.

" Many low-cost airlines park at remote stands as this is cheaper than parking at a jet-bridge."

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/23805/who-decides-whether-an-airline-docks-at-a-jetbridge-or-parks-at-a-remote-stand

(this link does mention about delays, but that is not the primary factor - cost is)

Bangkok air on the rare occasions that it is actually on time always docks at the terminal. It is not a cost savings measure it is because they have lost their spot at the docking station. 

2 hours ago, muzmurray said:

This is what makes your flight cheaper, companies have to pay to use a "tunnel" directly into the terminal.

Who says anything about a cheap flight. The cheap flight land in don muang. Bangkok air land is suvanaboom and cnx. The claim to be a boutique airline not an economy airline. Your logic is flawed 

12 minutes ago, cmtg1 said:

Who says anything about a cheap flight. The cheap flight land in don muang. Bangkok air land is suvanaboom and cnx. The claim to be a boutique airline not an economy airline. Your logic is flawed 

I don't know, who did say anything about a cheap flight? I mentioned making a flight cheaper - a whole lot different.

53 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

I don't know, who did say anything about a cheap flight? I mentioned making a flight cheaper - a whole lot different.

53 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

semantics--as I said if they were on time they would dock at the terminal. being an hour + late they missed their slot and were forced to park a mile away and bus the unhappy clients to the terminal. It wasn't a cost cutting measure they had no choice. They were late and they went to end of the line and the passengers suffer

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

You have labeled them low cost airlines what conclusions could one draw from that description. Secondly (i hate that word) but you use it a lot so I'm guessing that English is not your first language

Yesterday flight from B KK to cps for 5:10pm flight.  Got to the airport 1.5 hours early and went to the lounge (so far so good). I was informed the flight would be late and the new gate would be A8. I walked to the terminal and saw #2 #3 #4 etc so i kept on walking stupidly expecting to fine #8A. I walked to the end of the terminal and there was no A8 so I asked and the repel was It's before terminal #1 sigh I walked back the length of the terminal and found A8 at the very beginning.  Next the flight was delayed an hour and the bus ride to the plane took loner than the actual flight. I was in row #5 and wash;t allowed to enter the from of the plane, we were all directed to enter from the back (????). we arrived at CNX and were not allowed to dock at the terminal so another bus rice. I can't do it again

The Gate numbers are clearly marked. Illogical maybe, unclear not.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not to mention hundreds of polite employees, who will gladly assist you.  Many of them good looking females.

i did seek guidance from an employee when counter intuitively i saw gates 3,4,5,6 and foolishly assumed 7&8 would soon show up. well they didn't do i had to ask

46 minutes ago, cmtg1 said:

You have labeled them low cost airlines what conclusions could one draw from that description. Secondly (i hate that word) but you use it a lot so I'm guessing that English is not your first language

Where did I say that ? 

As stated above parking on a remote stand is cheaper than using a stand with an air bridge. Bangkok Airways use remote stands a lot at BKK and the issue they need to work on is getting the bus to start moving within minutes of boarding. I have travelled with PG many times and being directed to the bus and then standing on it for 15 minutes or more, armpits in all directions, before it sets off to the aircraft is not a good experience. Sometimes you have to stay on it "forever" when it gets to the aircraft because it's not ready to board. Then you are stood waiting on the tarmac in the heat, then you are stuck on the stairs. 

It's not always like this. Probably more than half of my flights have used the airbridges at BKK. The lounge is good and the airfares can be cheaper than the low cost airlines. They are a professional airline imo but they are not very good with buses. 

On 26/02/2017 at 8:21 AM, Trujillo said:

Meeting clients? I hope you have a valid work permit. 

I guess I must just be super lucky, since I have had no problems at all with them. Aside from the profiteering on their Samui route, nothing else has been an issue with them for me. 

Also, since they fly out of Suvanaphumi, it makes it more convenient to get into town via the Airport Link or transfer to international flights. 

Of course you need to qualify what you mean by on time. According to available statistics, BKK Air is no worse than other airlines and in some cases better.

Hong Kong to BKK/Samui is on average 13 minutes late. 

HK -- BKK/Samui averages

Bangkok Airways PG 281, for example, from  Utapao   to Phuket has the following data: 

Bkk air late.png

For more flights, look here: 

bkk 222.png

So basically, nearly 8,000 of the almost 13,000 flights were less than 15 minutes late. Given the constraints of airports and schedules, I'd say this is pretty good indeed. 

BKK Air punctuality

I couldn't agree less!

Actually I believe Bangkok Air nowadays is the MOST UNPUNCTUAL AIRLINE in all of Asia. A lot lot worse than Thai Air Asia, which has one of the best punctuality records of any budget carrier worldwide

As I have something to do with tourism, I have to monitor flight movements frequently, particularly those of the two Bangkok airports, and it is easy for everyone to do the same. Bangkok Airways punctuality record is a disaster. There is a reason for that though: They now have interline agreements with more than 20 Airlines, and more (many Chinese mainland carriers that mostly have a poor on-time performance)  to follow, so if there are any connecting passengers on flights of other airlines that are delayed, they mostly will have to wait for them.

Attached yesterday's on-time performance around noon. All the flights listed as "delayed" were late more than 15 minutes.

Numbers say more than words.

Disaster.png

ID: 21  I believe someone said: "My work permit status should be of supreme indifference to you."

But mine is of supreme interest to you? 

So you didn't notice the way the gates were numbered, and had to walk back THE LENGTH OF THE TERMINAL! Shock! Horror! How grueling that must have been!

Then the flight was delayed AN HOUR! And then, we had to enter the plane from the BACK OF THE PLANE! How utterly confusing for you!

So the shuttle bus to the plane took longer than the flight itself? That's over an hour. Not just a little hyperbole here? 

"It's not relevant how many times that I fly Bangkok Air. I meet clients at CNX a minimum of 3 times a week and those arriving on Bangkok air are rarely if ever on time."

It's interesting to see someone try to take apart one's argument by asking for statistics that he himself cannot provide. I asked for flights, dates, arrival times (real and scheduled) ... basically the tools to find out if what you assert is in fact the case or you are just generalizing. What is "on time" to you in the air travel business? Do you really expect an airlines, any airlines, to keep the same schedule as a Japanese bullet train? Seems to me that 15 minutes or under is as on time as one could reasonably expect. 

And if you will never fly Bangkok Airways again, why are you continuing to post here? Done and dusted, isn't it? 

25 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

I couldn't agree less!

Actually I believe Bangkok Air nowadays is the MOST UNPUNCTUAL AIRLINE in all of Asia. A lot lot worse than Thai Air Asia, which has one of the best punctuality records of any budget carrier worldwide

As I have something to do with tourism, I have to monitor flight movements frequently, particularly those of the two Bangkok airports, and it is easy for everyone to do the same. Bangkok Airways punctuality record is a disaster. There is a reason for that though: They now have interline agreements with more than 20 Airlines, and more (many Chinese mainland carriers that mostly have a poor on-time performance)  to follow, so if there are any connecting passengers on flights of other airlines that are delayed, they mostly will have to wait for them.

Attached yesterday's on-time performance around noon. All the flights listed as "delayed" were late more than 15 minutes.

Numbers say more than words.

Disaster.png

The modern way Is for airlines to factor in some delay time into their official scheduled times. In reality BKK to CM may be 55mins or an hour but the airline may state it's a 1 hour  20 min (or longer) flight for example so they can run late by 15 mins and still be on time and statistically build up some good ontime numbers. So to be officially 15 mins late might mean 30 mins late in the real world.

ID: 21  I believe someone said: "My work permit status should be of supreme indifference to you."

But mine is of supreme interest to you? 

So you didn't notice the way the gates were numbered, and had to walk back THE LENGTH OF THE TERMINAL! Shock! Horror! How grueling that must have been!
Then the flight was delayed AN HOUR! And then, we had to enter the plane from the BACK OF THE PLANE! How utterly confusing for you!
So the shuttle bus to the plane took longer than the flight itself? That's over an hour. Not just a little hyperbole here? 

"It's not relevant how many times that I fly Bangkok Air. I meet clients at CNX a minimum of 3 times a week and those arriving on Bangkok air are rarely if ever on time."

It's interesting to see someone try to take apart one's argument by asking for statistics that he himself cannot provide. I asked for flights, dates, arrival times (real and scheduled) ... basically the tools to find out if what you assert is in fact the case or you are just generalizing. What is "on time" to you in the air travel business? Do you really expect an airlines, any airlines, to keep the same schedule as a Japanese bullet train? Seems to me that 15 minutes or under is as on time as one could reasonably expect. 

And if you will never fly Bangkok Airways again, why are you continuing to post here? Done and dusted, isn't it? 

you've made my point for me. you've listed every flaw in that flight, admitted that it occurred and mocked me for complaining about.

My point is that YOU made the mistake about the gate; YOU complained about which end of the plane you get in (who cares?); and YOU exaggerated the shuttle bus time and the frequency of delays. 

If you are wound so tightly, you might consider another destination to live in. One that does not offend your apparently tender sensibilities. 

That's all for me. 

My point is that YOU made the mistake about the gate; YOU complained about which end of the plane you get in (who cares?); and YOU exaggerated the shuttle bus time and the frequency of delays. 

If you are wound so tightly, you might consider another destination to live in. One that does not offend your apparently tender sensibilities. 

That's all for me. 

i'm not the least bit wounded by your comments. every other contributor to this posting has validated my observations and discredited yours

I must admit that ever since they outlawed beer on the trains, and my life got a little busier in Chiang Mai, I looked around for other ways to get from CM to BK, a trip I make 4 or 5 times a year for various reasons -- and very rarely to connect with an international flight.  After a few Air Asia/Don Muang disasters  (what no BTS station at DM airport? Huh? Seriously?)  (what's up with that Air Asia website anyway)  I finally tried Bangkok Air and found it really was "boutique air".  OK,  sure we have to ride the bus all around the field at Swampy sometimes, but oh well.  Overall, it's a good experience.  Nice, easy connections into the city.  

Personally I don't mind Bangkok Air..., and after many, many travels around S/E Asia, I choose to NOT get bent out of shape about small potato stuff..., especially while travelling.., and especially at S/E Asian airports etc. Over the years I've observed many fellow travellers having some version of a Ritalin infused inner melt down. For myself, there's absolutely no use in winding myself up about what if's etc..., in fact I choose to believe that internalising or (heaven forbid)externalising some comparatively minor detail(that has got my goat) will work against me in the LOS(ironic huh ?). I'm happy for others to have a dummy spit..., I just choose not to be near such behaviour..., in whatever fashion it is manifested. Hopefully I don't have to sit next to some such.
That's why I always travel with at good book...., and sometimes even a spare.  
Apart from that..., I also so miss travelling by train while being able to sup on an icy cold libation or 2.

Edited by Sandy Freckle