Dutchman wanted over property scam arrested at Suvarnabhumi airport

Jonathan Fairfield

Dutchman wanted over property scam arrested at airport

A Dutch fugitive wanted for almost a decade in connection with a European property investment fraud was arrested at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok on Saturday morning.

The arrest of Olav-Wilhelmus Johannes Baartmans, who had been in hiding in Thailand, was the result of a joint operation by Thai police and Interpol.

Baartmans, who did not carry a passport, was detained as he went to meet a friend at the airport. He was initially charged with staying in Thailand without permission.

Interpol Thailand office head Pol Maj-General Apichat Suriboonya was informed by Interpol Netherlands two years ago that the suspect had fled to Thailand in August 2007.

It is alleged he led a transnational gang that preyed on people in various European countries, persuading them to invest in Turkish properties with a promise of huge returns within a short time.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307257

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-25

Doesn't say how they knew where he was when they nabbed him -- cameras at the airport?

If I was on the lam I'd steer clear anything to do with police or immigration officials, wouldn't even walk past the imm. offce.  He probably became complacent after so many years without incident.

We might joke about how we farang all look the same to them, but that's not always so.  Remember the guy they caught coming in from Lao who was wearing the same silly t-shirt as in their id photo of him?

Edited by bendejo

13 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Not much information on google about this guy.

tmp_4201-640_bbbbffdcb56ahdh8c5ecb261628718.jpg

On a Dutch language website I found a big report about this guy.

About 650 people invested 50.000 euros each or even more...

They collected over 11 million with a beautiful brochure about investments in a  luxury Turkish holiday retreat..

He took most of it to Thailand obviously..

18 minutes ago, tontraveller said:

On a Dutch language website I found a big report about this guy.

About 650 people invested 50.000 euros each or even more...

They collected over 11 million with a beautiful brochure about investments in a  luxury Turkish holiday retreat..

He took most of it to Thailand obviously..

Another rotten scum. 

and what about all the property/investment scammers in Thailand?  A stop at any one of the real-estate offices would be a fine start.  One 'highly reputable' and recommended agent, wanted me to put 10K down to secure the rental and to take it off the market as there was 'a lot of interest' in the property.  My wife called the number on the house sign and the home owner said it was for sale only and not for rent; I'm in the rental market only.  Another took me way S of Patts to look at a place that I selected fm their web site; the remarks on the web site was E Patts (dark side) just off Khao Noi.  Decided to do my own leg work and it worked out very well.

Edited by ToS2014

Google translator is cool

Home / across Thailand / news across Thailand / Rally's central Netherlands. Property investors fled the boilers of the European tucked Thailand for 10 years, 25 Feb 2560 16:34 Rath Online Sheriff Junction Interpol and Immigration. By capturing the young Netherlands. Gang crime Escape the fraud victims, many real estate investors from Europe. Tucked away in Thailand for 10 years, at around 11:00 pm. Today correspondent reports that 25-Feb-60. Police Crime Suppression Division police force of Ireland international. Police and immigration at Suvarnabhumi. To make arrests multinational name BAARTMANS Olav Wilhelmus Johannes Dutch nationality. no passport Suvarnabhumi Airport The accused In the Kingdom of Thailand without permission. For the criminal proceedings in this case, the fact that. Two years ago Interpol Thailand Maj.. The. Apichart Suri Interpol chief merit Thailand. Has been coordinated by Interpol that the Netherlands. This is a criminal who heads a group of transnational organized crime. The company has launched several European countries were victims of fraud. Stated that the company is going to invest in real estate in Turkey. And then are rewarded with spectacular gains in jiffy. After many innocent victims trust funds to invest in the Company. Criminals have taken all the money and then fled to live in hiding in Thailand. The assailant entered Thailand since August 2550 on the coordination of intelligence between the two countries, the police continued sporadically. I know that traditionally Villains will receive friends at the airport. Maj. T.. Apichart. It has led to Maj.. The. Machine and nectar Chaijinda police chief Maj.. District Suthep maintain power through the secondary. Sq. Of Foreign Affairs has instructed the police chief before. Maj.. The. Suchart Thira Good Counsel junction 10 as deputy director of the Center for Transnational Crime Prevention. Access control order cases Maj.. The. Suchart. Sonthi has ordered a police force comprised Pol.. The. Phumin. Poompanmoung through kg 5 Bk.p. Pol.. True. All Sin Chai Thailand Interpol along with Maj.. In. Callahan Kanpai ผbk.tm. two shields were deployed to support this mission. Until finally able to catch the criminals in this field. Maj. Gen. district assembly nectar, said the success of arrests across the nation who is hiding in Thailand, this is the success of the Office of Thailand. And insist that Thailand will not tolerate the hiding of transnational criminals and is used to commit decisively. By implementing this, according to the government's policies to build confidence and stability to the country's tourism and investment. And adhere to the policies and practices of ASEAN cooperation in the prevention of transnational crime. To build lasting stability to the region.

8 hours ago, DaveE13 said:

Maybe his mate he was meeting at the Airport was known as an associate of his by Dutch police and gave Thailand a heads up he was on his way.

Most likely this is the way it happened !.... justice may be slow, but it has a very good memory !!!!