Much ado about British tabloid’s claim Pattaya is the ‘sex capital of the world’

rooster59

Much ado about British tabloid’s claim Pattaya is the ‘sex capital of the world’

By THE SUNDAY NATION

15636cd5e6bc0ca8465e25ba23039987 (1).jpeg

Pattaya, a popular resort for Western tourists, has made unwanted headlines again after being labelled “sin city” by overseas media, prompting action by the government.

TWO BIG news stories about resort city Pattaya emerged almost simultaneously 10 days ago, but the country did not know whether they were coincidental or related.

First, it was the appointment of new Pattaya mayor Pol Maj-General Anan Charoenchasri.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, in his capacity as head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), invoked his absolute power under the interim charter’s Article 44 to appoint Anan.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307283

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-26

32 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have heard that the authorities have told Soi 6 bar owners to close all the illegal 'short time' rooms above their bars under penalty of prosecution and total closure.

Take away anyone?

Not even take awys now - hearing they closed the whole street down last night.

People who enjoy a huge choice of working girls in Pattaya should be concerned. Their 'lifestyle' may not continue for much longer. Think how many bar/go-go areas there used to be in Bangkok; Soi Zero, Washington Square, and many others, now all gone. All that remains are the overpriced/rip off areas of Soi Cowboy and Nana, and Patpong, with all that market rubbish going on there which puts so many people off. Over the past few years hundreds of brothels and other establishments catering mostly to Thais have also been closed down nationwide. The Army, Police, and the righteous PC busybodies now have Pattaya in their sights. 

"Pongpanu Svettarundra, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, spent last Friday night walking from South Pattaya Beach to the city’s famous Walking Street nightlife precinct with concerned officials. 

After the tour, he said Pattaya now had a healthy tourism industry. 

“Pattaya’s reputation and image has improved … Everything is now in order."

Wow! That's truly amazing! What a miracle worker this guy is, huh?

Walks from one end of the beach to the other and he has solved everything.

Even Jesus would be impressed with a miracle like that.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I have heard that the authorities have told Soi 6 bar owners to close all the illegal 'short time' rooms above their bars under penalty of prosecution and total closure.

Take away anyone?

any indication of this actually happening? anybody?

everything will go back to "normal" in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Anyone for Sihanoukville?

I was there one week ago. Nothing like a few years back. Boards "No drug. No prostitution" or "Girls not for sale" in many hotels and touristic places. Sex business seems very very small. Nothing like Pattaya.

Still a lot of backpackers and very pretty beaches though :)

3 hours ago, Orac said:

Not even take awys now - hearing they closed the whole street down last night.

It's a shame the police didn't do something about the racket at the beach end of soi 4 last night, rather than harass soi 6 bars. Extremely loud music that went on from around 8pm until after 1am this morning. I'm staying in a hotel half way along soi 4, and the whole. building was shaking.  Similar thing on Friday night too, a party with blaring music held on waste ground behind the North Shore condo building between sois 4 and 5.

1 hour ago, CliffH said:

It's a shame the police didn't do something about the racket at the beach end of soi 4 last night, rather than harass soi 6 bars. Extremely loud music that went on from around 8pm until after 1am this morning. I'm staying in a hotel half way along soi 4, and the whole. building was shaking.  Similar thing on Friday night too, a party with blaring music held on waste ground behind the North Shore condo building between sois 4 and 5.

You have to be patient here everything has a time and place a flavor of the day. They will have the press all lined up and then the crackdown will come. The pee cups will come out and there will be as usual many violations found which will look good for the BIB. The next night expect your building to shake again. Business as usual.  

Is Pattaya being the 'sex capital of the world' really controversial? Maybe the authorities should take a look around the city.

They have changed some stuff and made some more tourist elements but come on, who are we kidding??

I also think they could shut down more than half the 'nightlife female entertainment' and they'd still be too much. There loads there. People always think it's a sign from the devil from a popular go-go bar closes but there are waaaaaaay too many there, imo.

It's not my thing and they tourist the shit out of Pattaya and I'd never go but I have friends there and they're there for one reason and it's not the water slides and adventure parks

I wouldnt be half surprised if Soi 6 had been shut down. That fool in charge of multiple bars continues to broadcast photos galore on his facebook page for the whole world to see. Just utter stupidity

Agreed. One of that group of bars were heavily advertising a 'No Underwear Party' on various Internet sites that was due to happen last Friday - not sure if it went ahead or not.

While Soi 6 has always been a touch 'anything goes' it did use to be far more discreet with most of its goings on happening behind closed doors and talked about in hushed tones whereas, over the last few years, the doors have gone and these 'newer' bars are far less seedy than they were before yet are shouting from the rooftops about much hyped raunchiness.

I wouldnt be half surprised if Soi 6 had been shut down. That fool in charge of multiple bars continues to broadcast photos galore on his facebook page for the whole world to see. Just utter stupidity

Agreed. One of that group of bars were heavily advertising a 'No Underwear Party' on various Internet sites that was due to happen last Friday - not sure if it went ahead or not.

While Soi 6 has always been a touch 'anything goes' it did use to be far more discreet with most of its goings on happening behind closed doors and talked about in hushed tones whereas, over the last few years, the doors have gone and these 'newer' bars are far less seedy than they were before yet are shouting from the rooftops about much hyped raunchiness.

4 minutes ago, Orac said:

Hes already been told to close the brand new bars on Bongot that he opened weeks ago to great fanfare. The Ego has landed is the warcry of many when he turns up. I met him unknowingly couple years ago when in a group didnt know who he was at first. Talk about dim and conceited Jesus Wept

Not a well travelled crew......................

I don't guess they have ever travelled to Rio, Tiajuana or Juarez (Mexico), Hamburg or Amsterdam or Las Vegas (The Whole state of Nevada Has LEGAL PROSTITUTION except for only 2 counties).....

And on and on........

Thailand has so many lovely tourist places to visit.... What is the problem??????

Offer some of this and some of that and Thailand will continue to 'Rake-in' the big tourist dollars..............

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

would certainly dissuade some of the riffraff from coming to these shores. :thumbsup:

Hopefully all of the self righteous pratts who knock all this will instead now spend their lives going to Nepal or Bhutan.  Hopefully they will enjoy both countries assuming that is they can extract their heads from their a**e and survive in the real world. Sanctimonious hypocrites mostly,  possibly from the south of England or Wales. Everybody has a choice, take it or leave it, but it appears that those who knock it have backbones of jelly.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

Pattaya is not closing down to the Sex industry

Sex and the  short time rooms will still be here in a 100 years time.

Ask anyone out side this country about Thailand , and  the sex  industry will

come straight to mind first,   top of the list with  Elephants,  golden temples

Great food ,  second , third. forth.

Sorry boys,    the genie has been out the bottle,   a very long time now.

they will never shake off the sexy image Thailand has,

in the rest of the world. :smile:

Other countries seem to do ok after they acknowledged it and controlled it a bit.

what does Thailand do,   pretends it does not exist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Thailand.

No Sex Please we're Thai :giggle:

Edited by onemorechang

58 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Pattaya is not closing down to the Sex industry

Sex and the  short time rooms will still be here in a 100 years time.

Ask anyone out side this country about Thailand , and  the sex  industry will

come straight to mind first,   top of the list with  Elephants,  golden temples

Great food ,  second , third. forth.

Sorry boys,    the genie has been out the bottle,   a very long time now.

they will never shake off the sexy image Thailand has,

in the rest of the world. :smile:

Other countries seem to do ok after they acknowledged it and controlled it a bit.

what does Thailand do,   pretends it does not exist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Thailand.

No Sex Please we're Thai :giggle:

Some of you guys need to get your heads out of the sand. To quote a Stickman phrase "the naughty boys industry" accounts for just 0.1% of annual unique visitors to Thailand. (its actually less but you get the drift)  Now remove the sleazy sex industry image no matter how long it takes will put another 5-10 million visitors to Thailand as a whole.

The idiots claiming Issan would die need to visit the place with full employment first. Money from sex tourists is a miniscule amount of foreign income that enters the country with mini being the operative word.

Time to wake up. Times are a changing we embrace it or go elsewhere

Edited by Cirencester

Business as usual after the 'international' attention is gone. What are the brown clowns going to survive on without the tea money from the bar owners and such? They can't, and are completely incapable of, doing any real work to earn anything. Give it a few more weeks, me thinks.

33 minutes ago, outsider said:

Business as usual after the 'international' attention is gone. What are the brown clowns going to survive on without the tea money from the bar owners and such? They can't, and are completely incapable of, doing any real work to earn anything. Give it a few more weeks, me thinks.

Those days are over and limited. Police are NO longer in control. What is about some of you who cannot grasp that simple fact. There are no elections on any horizon. This is a miltary state for years to come. Accept it rather than burying your heads

34 minutes ago, Cirencester said:

Some of you guys need to get your heads out of the sand. To quote a Stickman phrase "the naughty boys industry" accounts for just 0.1% of annual unique visitors to Thailand. (its actually less but you get the drift)  Now remove the sleazy sex industry image no matter how long it takes will put another 5-10 million visitors to Thailand as a whole.

The idiots claiming Issan would die need to visit the place with full employment first. Money from sex tourists is a miniscule amount of foreign income that enters the country with mini being the operative word.

Time to wake up. Times are a changing we embrace it or go elsewhere

Excuse me , we are talking about image,

Thailand is the sex capital of the word.

Its not going to go away.

Leopards and spots mate. 

22 minutes ago, Cirencester said:

Those days are over and limited. Police are NO longer in control. What is about some of you who cannot grasp that simple fact. There are no elections on any horizon. This is a miltary state for years to come. Accept it rather than burying your heads

So be it. Brown clown, military, whatever. I was merely opining. That means giving an opinion. Doesn't mean I 'miss the good old times', nowhere in my comments did I wish for those days to come back. Honestly, and for your info, I don't care if they do go back to 'business as usual', or if Pattaya becomes the holiest city in the world. Go preach elsewhere, would you?

Edited by outsider