Renting a bank safe deposit box?

Definitely hard to come by.  I have one in the BBL Bang Kapi Branch and wanted a larger box.  No bigger ones available, and the available boxes of the same size are reserved for 'VIP customers"  ie.  requiring a minimum 5 million baht permanent deposit.

I've tried to get a safety box in Klaeng/Rayong/Ban Phe but either (a) none are available; or (b) I would need to purchase one of those bl**dy 'insurance' products (you know - the ones always pushed by the bank staff since they receive substantial commissions).

Appreciate any suggestions about getting a safety box in Klaeng, Rayong or Ban Phe without the coersion

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I want a deposit box to put my gold.  I don't want to deposit 5 million baht anywhere.  There must be a proper bank that provides boxes.  Why is this country so far behind the modern world?

I know for a fact right now they have boxes available at Thappae Gate branch of SCB in Chiang Mai because I was there last week and asked the question.

15 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

Are the safety deposit boxes like those in America and Europe or any other country not full of half-thinking nitwits?  You know the kind, I get a key, they get a key and you need both keys to open it.

yes it's an entirely separate area in the bank.

you enter the reception and you sign a card and you show your key tag number and they accompany you through the huge safe door and into one of about five rooms which each contain a row of safety deposit boxes. then they use their key to open the top lock and then you use your key with the second lock and then they leave you alone in private and you can sit at a small desk while you go through your box.

Edited by Asiantravel

2 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

yes it's an entirely separate area in the bank.

you enter the reception and you sign a card and you show your key tag number and they accompany you through the huge safe door and into one of about five rooms which each contain a row of safety deposit boxes. then they use their key to open the top lock and then you use your key with the second lock and then they leave you alone in private and you can sit at a small desk while you go through your box.

When you signed the original box rental papers, does it mention a very large payment to the bank if you lose your key(s) to the box?

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

When you signed the original box rental papers, does it mention a very large payment to the bank if you lose your key(s) to the box?

only the deposit amount which was peanuts-about 3500 baht. You are not liable for any further amount than that

3 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

What is the cost for a small one?  I don't need a big one.  

my box is small but it's certainly big enough for my small gold bars and the annual rent is 3000 baht which they automatically deduct every year from my SCB account

Bangkok Bank 900 THB ? year + 7% vat for small size. No deposit, if I remember correctly 1000 THB if either of the 2 keys provided were lost.

Edit to add ...Box size (from memory) around 30 x 45 x 10 cm

Edited by ThaidDown

4 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Bangkok Bank 900 THB ? year + 7% vat for small size. No deposit, if I remember correctly 1000 THB if either of the 2 keys provided were lost.

I have no idea about what other banks charge and I don't really care

I'm very happy with what I've got:smile:

2 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

I have no idea about what other banks charge and I don't really care

I'm very happy with what I've got:smile:

I only posted for further info to the op,  I also don't care what you paid.  It was not intended to start a 'I got mine cheaper' jibe. If BBL s boxes were 3000 I would still be renting it.

12 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

only the deposit amount which was peanuts-about 3500 baht. You are not liable for any further amount than that

The reason I asked if I was wondering if the bank retains a copy of your key to the box.

They shouldn't but so many times I read something unusual on TVF with the response of "TIT".

It's normal, as in ThaiDown's case, for the bank to give 2 keys and have a fine if a key is lost as they have to replace the lock in that case.

11 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

The reason I asked if I was wondering if the bank retains a copy of your key to the box.

They shouldn't but so many times I read something unusual on TVF with the response of "TIT".

It's normal, as in ThaiDown's case, for the bank to give 2 keys and have a fine if a key is lost as they have to replace the lock in that case.

yes but you put your valuables in a box which slides into the opening after the two outer locks have been opened.

I have two padlocks on the box itself and no one has a key to those except me.

I walked into the Kasikorn Bank on the 2nd floor of Central Lad Prao tonight to ask which branches had safety deposit boxes.  The very attractive manager replied, "we do right here."  

I was pleasantly surprised until she informed me that a 5X10X20 box would cost me 205,000b.  That's a bit steep by any standards.  I include the required life insurance I would need to buy in order to secure one of these boxes.

They have quite a racket going.

Kasikorn Life Insurance Safety Deposit Box_20170506_0001.pdf

If you're down pattaya way or dont mind where the box resides I rent a very secure box at siam secure off pattaya klang very professional run by a farang and around £100 a year. Google for more detail. I have no affiliation with them personally and no agenda

"Safety-Box" in a Bank is a good idea. Especially to store precious metals.

Just to remember: In case of major financial disturbances (BANK HOLIDAY), ATM's will not work anymore and Banks themselfes will be colosed. ERGO: No access to your Safety-Box, in a time when you need access to your "Safety-Box" the most.

To bury precious metals in your front yard, can not be advised anymore. Rumor has it, that pigs can not only sniff out truffels, but also buried precious metals. So, observing Farangs, instead of sleeping in their House, sleeping in their front yard in a 1 man-tent: I know what the deal is !:sorry:
Cheers.

14 hours ago, Chivas said:

If you're down pattaya way or dont mind where the box resides I rent a very secure box at siam secure off pattaya klang very professional run by a farang and around £100 a year. Google for more detail. I have no affiliation with them personally and no agenda

if you think there is any comparison whatsoeverbetween storing millions of baht worth of valuables in a bank deposit box versus one in a private company (where they have no legal standards or regulations to comply with ) then you must be delusional.:giggle:

yes keep your furniture and low value personal possessions in these kinds of storage facilities  but not YOUR MONEY !!!

12 hours ago, swissie said:

"Safety-Box" in a Bank is a good idea. Especially to store precious metals.

Just to remember: In case of major financial disturbances (BANK HOLIDAY), ATM's will not work anymore and Banks themselfes will be colosed. ERGO: No access to your Safety-Box, in a time when you need access to your "Safety-Box" the most.

To bury precious metals in your front yard, can not be advised anymore. Rumor has it, that pigs can not only sniff out truffels, but also buried precious metals. So, observing Farangs, instead of sleeping in their House, sleeping in their front yard in a 1 man-tent: I know what the deal is !:sorry:
Cheers.

I'd rather take that risk with a bank than risking my Gold bullion with  anyone who is running a Private safety deposit company that I know nothing about:smile: 

Edited by Asiantravel

1 hour ago, Asiantravel said:

if you think there is any comparison whatsoeverbetween storing millions of baht worth of valuables in a bank deposit box versus one in a private company (where they have no legal standards or regulations to comply with ) then you must be delusional.:giggle:

yes keep your furniture and low value personal possessions in these kinds of storage facilities  but not YOUR MONEY !!!

Why the abuse sunshine ??   Who said anything about storing millions of baht and valuables in either a bank or a purpose built deposit facility because I didnt  ??

I am more than happy to keep around £5000 on average in siam secure plus few documents. Frankly I'd personally trust these guys then a bank thats a franchise for christ sake in many cases.

Go siam secure have a look then update your thoughts here. Keep your stupid emoticons to youself in the interim

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Why the abuse sunshine ??   Who said anything about storing millions of baht and valuables in either a bank or a purpose built deposit facility because I didnt  ??

I am more than happy to keep around £5000 on average in siam secure plus few documents. Frankly I'd personally trust these guys then a bank thats a franchise for christ sake in many cases.

Go siam secure have a look then update your thoughts here. Keep your stupid emoticons to youself in the interim

it doesn't take the storage of many gold bars to add up to millions of baht.obviously you have different criteria.

Could you please explain why you would trust " these guys " more than a bank?

I don't need to go to visit a private company to update my thoughts.

what protection does a customer at a private safety deposit company have against inadequate insurance of the facility or even the sudden closure of the facility and the proprietor absconding with the proceeds?

it doesn't take the storage of many gold bars to add up to millions of baht.obviously you have different criteria.
Could you please explain why you would trust " these guys " more than a bank?
I don't need to go to visit a private company to update my thoughts.
what protection does a customer at a private safety deposit company have against inadequate insurance of the facility or even the sudden closure of the facility and the proprietor absconding with the proceeds?

It's a very good point remember the bank also keeps​ their money in the same safe

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app