rooster59

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, LandOfWiles said:

Andrew Drummond already has and those involved in the case also chipped in on his Facebook page. The BBC don't have much to gain from announcing this but could risk being accused of bias or trying to influence the case. It has been covered by the Guardian and Yahoo and probably many other media outlets, so it will not go unnoticed. On the contrary, as others have rightly noted, this case will be huge own goal for Thailand. 

In case you missed it, Mr. Drummond fled for  the sake of the safety of his family. I recall his speaking out against several corrupt people in Pattaya, only to  be harassed, threatened  and persecuted by these people and their corrupt friends  One chap was even elected President of a local "charity" (which  isn't reputed to be too charitable).

Mr. Head has received multiple death threats and threats pf physical harm. And yet, no one really is speaking out on his behalf. What we have is groveling and enabling of his persecutors. 

It is shameful  that none of the free world's  governments and their journalist associations has been more vocal in the defense of Mr. Head.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

And remember, Farang's can't own property in Thailand, no matter how many times a day you meet someone who says you can.

On the other hand, and more accurately, remember, foreigners can own property in Thailand, no matter how many times a day you meet someone who says that they can't.

Edited by gdgbb

3 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

It is interesting to note that the President of the USA's press secretary blocked the BBC  from attending an informal press conference yesterday (along with the New York Times,  CNN and other media  reps who the US admin dislikes). As such, I do not believe that the US government will speak out on behalf of  journalist rights. With the USA MIA, Thailand may be emboldened to do as it pleases.

There's already an element of 'Me' and 'Mini Me' in both govts :)

15 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

So he can face jail time for just exposing a crime?

No, but he can for defamation, there's a big difference. 

Head didn't expose this crime, it was exposed a long time before he got involved.

Edited by gdgbb

3 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

On the other hand, and more accurately, remember, foreigners can own property in Thailand, no matter how many times a day you meet someone who says that they cant.

True foreigners can own property  in the form of a building but cannot own the land..........one exception is that the investing of tens of millions of baht can get a small parcel of land to some.

But then this is off topic............

13 minutes ago, Sunderland said:

Highlighting corruption in Thailand doesn't make a single bit of difference to those involved in, nor seemingly to the population of the country who reside in it. Its worse than ever, and yet the masses chomp on their daily meals and barely bat an eyelid. Until that changes, don't expect the local population to even notice this as news.

I think you're right for the most part. It will not change anything domestically. Corruption here seems to be accepted as a way of life. But it will have a negative effect on foreign investment. This case effectively says that even with the correct legal paperwork, you can still lose your investment, and, if you expect help from your own country's media, then we have a law to suppress that too. 

Just now, xylophone said:

True foreigners can own property  in the form of a building but cannot own the land..........one exception is that the investing of tens of millions of baht can get a small parcel of land to some.

But then this is off topic............

My understanding is that foreigners can purchase a condo in their own name in Thailand, but generally speaking are not allowed to buy a house (because of the land it stands on - which foreigners may not own). But others may know more about this than myself.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand's computer crime and defamation laws scupper investigative journalism and are a threat to freedom of speech.

Yes your right and there is more coming down the pipe with the new media control act and the licensing of same. The news will soon be like a sausage pouring out of a sausage machine. 

13 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

In case you missed it, Mr. Drummond fled for  the sake of the safety of his family. 

Hi, I'm aware of this. I check his Facebook page every week or two and read his site before it was blocked. Someone in another thread described AD as "amateur" but I bet he's uncovered more corruption in Thailand than the rest of the MSM combined. 

15 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The British Embassy  will issue a new one  quickly should the need arise. he could have easily been spirited out of the country if he so choose. He has decided to fight this case and he has the support of journalists in the free world.

It is interesting to note that the President of the USA's press secretary blocked the BBC  from attending an informal press conference yesterday (along with the New York Times,  CNN and other media  reps who the US admin dislikes). As such, I do not believe that the US government will speak out on behalf of  journalist rights. With the USA MIA, Thailand may be emboldened to do as it pleases.

Now is the time to see if the UK  has any principles and if the EU will act in the defense  of one of its supposed pillars of freedom.

I don't think the U.K. Embassy is in the habit of issuing new passports to anyone who has had their passport seized by the authorities whilst awaiting trial. As for being "spirited out of the country", that's the realms of Ian Flemming.

I am afraid Jonathan they really want your Head. This lawyer sounds like lower level elite has nothing to loose and a bit of prestige to gain. Thailand does not want people "meddling" in their business its to lucrative. To many moneyed fish swimming around waiting to be caught. 

Edited by elgordo38

7 hours ago, Sunderland said:

Highlighting corruption in Thailand doesn't make a single bit of difference to those involved in it, nor seemingly to the population of the country who reside in it and probably suffer the non-development of their country as a result. Its worse than ever, and yet the masses chomp on their daily meals and barely bat an eyelid. Until that changes, don't expect the local population to even notice this as news.

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So he can face jail time for just exposing a crime?

Thailand is a country that only understands thai ways and believes that whatever happens here should be accepted and acknowledged as being right,they are not concerned with what is right or wrong in other countries,we as visitors here are tolerated provided we toe the line............ignorance is bliss in other words :thumbsup:

I wonder what ever happened to that Thai guy who criticized the police for setting up an illegal road block.  He put it up on social media and the police sued him for defamation!  It's just crazy when those who have broken the law can go after those who've exposed them.

16 minutes ago, LandOfWiles said:

Hi, I'm aware of this. I check his Facebook page every week or two and read his site before it was blocked. Someone in another thread described AD as "amateur" but I bet he's uncovered more corruption in Thailand than the rest of the MSM combined. 

He has, and I apologize for my tone. Not the intent. I write too quickly at times.  Sorry.

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I wonder what ever happened to that Thai guy who criticized the police for setting up an illegal road block.  He put it up on social media and the police sued him for defamation!  It's just crazy when those who have broken the law can go after those who've exposed them.

Because T.I.T. and unfortunately will/does not want to change :sad:

2 hours ago, bangkok101 said:

the problem is for JH, BBC, or any criminal defendant is no presumption of innocence, zero rights as a defendant. The trial process is completed tilted in favor of the police and prosecutor. Don't forget the corruption, deceit and total ineptness of the system.Doomed from the get-go.

Good luck, kick some ass in the court room and expose them for what they really are Mr. Head!

You forgot he's White. From personal experience of many, if you're up against a Thai, however corrupt and venal, you lose.

Having said that, I doubt even this moronic junta would go so far as to imprison a member of the international press.

5 minutes ago, sugarcane24 said:

Well, how dare farang interfere with their way of life?

Why do some foreigners' interfere' with the Thais' way of life?

Because many have lived in Thailand for a good long time, have Thai families here, and work and pay taxes here .... and also are principled and brave human beings who believe in speaking out against injustice, wherever it occurs.

Edited by Eligius

1 minute ago, lucky11 said:

Had it coming to him. Thai's hate him!! Not exactly unhappy with this myself.

"Thai's hate him"  say's who?  your next door neighbor?  most Thais are unaware of him or the BBC or do you mean the Junta because of his fair and consistent reporting?  great journalist, ex president of foreign correspondents club and respected WIDELY.