No Uber allowed to pick up passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bubba said:

That is IF they will accept your destination, IF they will use the meter, and IF they can find your destination. At least you and your Uber driver both have  GPS with the route plotted out on your smartphones.

Then there are the taxis with bald tyres, no seat belts, and in one case, I nearly passed out from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty exhaust system in one old taxi. Every single Uber car I have taken has been in top condition, clean and with working safety equipment.

Agreed and pre-qualified that valid concerns exist...just that "fleecing" (aka overcharging) isn't one of them. Hey I'm sure Uber is great and looking forward to giving it a go.

IF taxis refuse my destination, I move on to the next one...usually many to hail who want my money. IF they don't want to use the meter. NEXT...They are dismissed with a wave of the hand without further discussion and reported to the 1584 hotline. Makes me feel better anyway. And yes I too have had the ultra bad broken aircon or bad fume experience, but only twice since the introduction of metered taxis. Vacate and relocate to a better vehicle being my solution.

Edited by Skeptic7

And in all the western cities where Uber's banned?  Just like AirBNB, it's about tax revenue.  

Sure, it's an antiquated revenue model- so are hotel taxes.  But I have some empathy for hotels that are paying those taxes and taxis that are paying for their shields- both losing business to unregistered businesses who have an illegal competitive cost advantage.  

And I especially like the irony reading from all the guys posting here who owe their ability to stay in Thailand to the union or the guild back home that protected their jobs for their entire careers.  What did they call the unregistered competition for their jobs?  Scabs, I think.  And they're the very same Brexit guys who complain about the Polish immigrants willing to work for less, coming over and stealing jobs...  Protectionism is great, as long as I'm on the right end of it.

Update the tax revenue models to even the playing field and I'm 100% behind Uber and AirBNB.    

I keep on hearing about these places in the west where Uber is banned, however I travel continuously for work and I never seem to encounter them. I use Uber all over the world.

In the last few months I've used Uber in the Uk, Netherlands, Spain, Germany, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Portugal, Switzerland, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong and Indonesia.

The tax thing is a myth too. They are simply self employed workers like millions around the world in countless industries.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, Docno said:

I don't see the tax issue here. Uber simply has to report the income of each driver to the revenue authority, as done in Singapore at least. After all, that information is already sitting on Uber servers anyway...

If uber do the same requirements than taxi, lets do it. But they don't want to do that. 

3 hours ago, zoza said:

what do all these super people do to avoid the strange driver's I seem to attract in Bangkok

last time we flew into Don Mueang we stood in the queue for half an hour then got our ticket and then the driver drove off no meter ? so I asked and he said he could not put the meter

on so I told him to either put the meter on or drive us back to the airport, to which he said

he needed fuel? he messed about driving down different soi's and on his phone so I took

some pictures of his ID as his picture in the cab looked nothing like him, and he just kept

messing about went to a petrol station and got out of the car for about ten minuets then drove about for about a bit then stopped again at another petrol station and then offered to take us to pattaya for 2k   I said no chance I will give you the normal fare of 1500 baht, and he then drove to pattaya and it took in total about three hours..

my Thai missus was with me but even she was a bit worried, so speaking Thai was no help.   

I now only use taxi's who I know they are not great but you get where you want with no drama.

As he backs out or pulls forward and before he goes even one meter say METER khrap but I have to honestly say to the chagrin of many posters that 95% of the time the meter is turned on before my taxi driver moves the car at all. I travel in and out of both airports a lot.  Another 4 % turns it on in the first one meter of moving and 1 % of the time I say meter khrap. Maybe taxi drivers are like dogs lol. They pick up on anxious vibes by people and then try to pull a fast one. I truly like  BKK taxi drivers and find them nice guys and I'm amazed some others don't. I'm not saying this about you ( you seem nice) at all but many posters I think approach them in a rude arrogant manner. I've seen it out on the streets but at the airport I just get right into my taxi and go so don't see how people act when first approaching driver.  Also if the line is long at the airport for taxi just go to arrival level and flag one down. Very quick. 

14 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Absolutely true. We take Uber all over the world all the time and talk with countless drivers. I've never had one anywhere who has said they are unhappy. Most love the freedom and the extra cash. For very few is it a full time job.  BKK is not an anomaly at all. There is a self-righteous arrogance in assuming that Uber drivers are stupid or being screwed.  

Never did I say they were stupid. People can be duped without being fools. In Uber's case, most people don't think to calculate actual costs (per kilometer/mile) or have any idea how surprisingly high that cost is for most vehicles, and that applies to many drivers; this is one factor in earnings not being as advertised.

If you think everyone out there is well-educated financially then you're in for a surprise.

You have anecdotes, the plural of which is not data. There's reams of it on the web about the earnings of Uber drivers, it may not apply in Thailand but studies of major markets paint a dim picture of driver earnings. 

Anyway I'm not here to convince anyone, if you care to look beyond your personal experiences you may find there's more (or rather less) than meets the eye.

So here's the problem... Thai taxi's are actually very affordable and I appreciate that.  Some try to cheat you but let's face it, even the cheated price is 1/10 of what you'd pay in America, UK, Hong Kong, etc.  

That being said, I feel completely unsafe in them.  Tailgating, speeding, trying to get that "next ride" asap, it's really uncomfortable.  I always was happy to pay more for better service.  I got a Thai license just so I could drive myself.  All of this being said, if they just improved the way they drove (though this is a Thailand problem more than explicitly a taxi problem) then they'd not have issues with other drivers.

With all of this in mind, they'll use their organizations to keep the money flowing for as long as they can, until one day they won't be able to and that will be an interesting one.  Reminds me a bit of the motorcycle station that tried to charge more for heavier people.  They quickly changed their mind.

18 hours ago, ThaidaGwaii said:

1) Don't use their meter and wants a certain amount of money to take you there.

2)  Charge you extra for luggage

3) Take you to your destination using the long way to get there.

All of which can be simply sorted out before getting into the taxi.

Negotiate a fair price with the driver before getting in full price for you and whoever and luggage. Then he will go the shortest route simple really.

14 hours ago, alex8912 said:

As he backs out or pulls forward and before he goes even one meter say METER khrap but I have to honestly say to the chagrin of many posters that 95% of the time the meter is turned on before my taxi driver moves the car at all. I travel in and out of both airports a lot.  Another 4 % turns it on in the first one meter of moving and 1 % of the time I say meter khrap. Maybe taxi drivers are like dogs lol. They pick up on anxious vibes by people and then try to pull a fast one. I truly like  BKK taxi drivers and find them nice guys and I'm amazed some others don't. I'm not saying this about you ( you seem nice) at all but many posters I think approach them in a rude arrogant manner. I've seen it out on the streets but at the airport I just get right into my taxi and go so don't see how people act when first approaching driver.  Also if the line is long at the airport for taxi just go to arrival level and flag one down. Very quick. 

I think I am getting to where you are coming from its the fares fault as they are emitting anxious vibes or are rude and arrogant and even if the driver is drunk or on the yab-bar they can pick this up? but as soon as they see the super special people (not you of course) they switch off their antenna and switch on the METER krap....   

1 hour ago, zoza said:

I think I am getting to where you are coming from its the fares fault as they are emitting anxious vibes or are rude and arrogant and even if the driver is drunk or on the yab-bar they can pick this up? but as soon as they see the super special people (not you of course) they switch off their antenna and switch on the METER krap....   

If you think many BKK taxi drivers at the airport are drunk or on yaba you are very wrong and you also see and speak with the drivers at the airport before you enter the car. It would be easy to detect this for most people and others around the driver would see this as well. So you can keep rolling on with comments that are foolish. I can keep taking Taxis at the airport that use the meter that almost everyone else does. 

16 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

If you think many BKK taxi drivers at the airport are drunk or on yaba you are very wrong and you also see and speak with the drivers at the airport before you enter the car. It would be easy to detect this for most people and others around the driver would see this as well. So you can keep rolling on with comments that are foolish. I can keep taking Taxis at the airport that use the meter that almost everyone else does. 

I have been scammed by Thai taxi meters. I have never been scammed by uber.

On 2/26/2017 at 7:22 PM, alex8912 said:

I don't get it. There are ticket machines where you get taxis at Suvarnanhumi you just take your ticket to the taxi number that is on the ticket. You put your bags in the car and tell him where you are going. Last week it was 271 baht to Rachatewi area plus 50 baht surcharge so 321. 35 minutes and was dropped off at my condos doorstep. I do this every month. At Don Mueang there is a person who writes down the address you give and then you go to taxi. No hyenas ever.  Maybe just learn your simple address in Thai might help but you sound like you have come here more than once and are not an ignorant tourist.  I don't get people who have any trouble at airports and I speak  to friends about it and they don't have trouble. Is Uber cheaper to central BKK than 325 baht?  I don't think so. There is no need to blah blah blah to taxi drivers like I see people do Just say  Sukumvit soi Sip Et or Satorn soi Sip Song etc and get in and go.  He will set the meter  ( give him a few seconds)and  if for any reason he does not say meter ONE time and not loud but I have had them always use meter for the last 6 years. 

Ticket machine does nothing to assure a fair fare; I've been quoted everything from 400 to 650 bht to Suk soi 6. You always have to ask the driver how much??? and negotiate  from whatever absurd price he quotes. Best fare I ever got was a driver who volunteered to start the meter, use surface roads, and got me to Soi 6 in record time---cost= 350 baht. The ticket machines have nothing to do with cost, they simply direct you to a driver with whom you will likely need to negotiate.

On 27/02/2017 at 3:19 PM, wealthychef said:

If this is about protecting people then maybe they should start a sting operation on taxi drivers not using their meters.  

You can when they refuse to use the meter which happens all the time, from the airport.  

If you stand in the official queue and get a ticket you can report any driver who refuses to use his meter. I have never had a taxi from either airport refuse to use his meter in 20 years. In downtown Bangkok it happens all the time and in Chiang Mai you can't get them to use them for love nor money, but from the airports no problem.

1 minute ago, millwall_fan said:

If you stand in the official queue and get a ticket you can report any driver who refuses to use his meter. I have never had a taxi from either airport refuse to use his meter in 20 years. In downtown Bangkok it happens all the time and in Chiang Mai you can't get them to use them for love nor money, but from the airports no problem.

Wow, I can report the driver? That's wonderful!  But if I'm a clueless tourist, or just don't feel like having a big argument with a crooked taxi driver, then the damage is done and the taxi runs off with extra money.  I had a taxi refuse to use his meter last week, from Don Meuang, even though I had a ticket from the counter and there was a big sign saying not using the meters is illegal.  

Definitely some laughable posts here defending the taxi drivers.  On short trips we mostly just drive and park at Swampy, but on longer trips we generally use Uber/GrabCar or AOT.  

Regarding taxis, we have a small child and buggy, so generally need a taxi van rather than the smaller cars. technically, these are supposed to also use a meter, but this literally NEVER happens, either to or from the airport.

Drivers were generally demanding 600 baht from the airport to central BKK a couple of years ago, absolutely no less. Of the past several times we took a taxi, we had these experiences:

1) Roads were jammed, so driver absolutely refused to take us into Bangkok. Instead, he drove to an out of the way BTS station (at a fare that should have gotten us into Bangkok), and demanded that we get out with our luggage. To those that say they would refuse, really? You'd risk your family to argue with a nutso taxi driver?

2) After leaving airport, the driver demanded 800 baht to Bangkok. I refused, countering with a 600 baht offer, the normal going rate at that time. He started yelling and screaming, pulled over on the expressway and demanded that we get out right there.  So, of course I agreed to his price, but after he started again I took my phone out to take a photo of his car ID.  When he saw this he went BALLISTIC, looking absolutely homicidal, so of course I put the phone away.

So, you tell me, do you really want to deal with this? All of my friends that travel here, often from Singapore, always complain about the experience from the airport as well. Lack of seat belts, rude, bad smell, crazy driving, you name it.

Of dozens of Uber and Grab Car rides, I had only one bad experience, which happened to be an off-duty cop driving like a maniac on our trip to the airport. Otherwise, perfect, clean and polite.

Bottom line, I would now absolutely NEVER get in a Bangkok taxi with my family. Yeah, maybe 90% of the rides would be fine, but what about those 10% with a nutso driver?  I simply do not believe the apologists that always defend taxi drivers here; more likely they only defend taxis because they resent those willing and able to pay more for a much better and safer alternative. Sorry, but my family's life is worth more than the few baht I would save by taking a taxi.

Edited by eppic
typo

10 hours ago, blix99 said:

Ticket machine does nothing to assure a fair fare; I've been quoted everything from 400 to 650 bht to Suk soi 6. You always have to ask the driver how much??? and negotiate  from whatever absurd price he quotes. Best fare I ever got was a driver who volunteered to start the meter, use surface roads, and got me to Soi 6 in record time---cost= 350 baht. The ticket machines have nothing to do with cost, they simply direct you to a driver with whom you will likely need to negotiate.

I and thousands of  others have never negotiated. I just don't get it. You say your address and he pushes in the meter and goes. Why would you EVER ask how much??  I really think you hit the nail on the head about how many people approach a taxi driver at the airport. I would never ever ever approach a taxi driver and say Sukumvit soi 6 tao rai khrap? Or how much is it to Sukumvit soi 6. I get IN the taxi and say Sukumvit soi hok khrap and 99% of the time he just pushes in the meter and goes. The other 1% of he goes even one meter I just point at the meter and say "meter  khrap". Sir please try this next time really. Just get in and say Sukumvit soi hok(e)    And please say khrap. 

He will use the meter!!!

On 2/27/2017 at 5:54 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Blackcab drivers in London aren't too fond of Uber either!

I shared a minicab from Central London (the company my office used), and they asked me if I minded sharing with an American tourist. I said of course not as long as I get the receipt :smile:

Chatting to him on the way down, he couldn't believe the fare, since he'd paid three times that to come in using a Black Cab from Heathrow.

I asked him which way he came, and he said he didn't know apart from they went past a few lakes and Windsor Castle.

So don't think London cabbies are immune to ripping people off.

On ‎27‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 1:49 AM, Dibbler said:

To be expected, ATO simply protecting the taxi mafia and their rights to fleece the public, just like BMA protecting the motorcycle mafia which led to Ubermoto closing down.  But Bangkok taxi companies can't stop the swing to using a cheaper more reliable and safe service from getting to and from the airport.  

Fleece the public, with a 50 baht surcharge ? What taxi mafia are you talking about ? I never get fleeced, and get from the airport to home for next to nothing, on the meter. The charges are already ridiculously low, especially compared to the flat fee rates in Phnom Penh or the ripp-off rates in Vientiane. Not to mention the rates in more developed countries around Thailand.

Uber does not comply with some of the requirements any average taxi driver has to comply with, so I am not surprised they cannot pickup up any passengers at BKK or DMK, surprised they are even allowed to operate in Thailand, I thought they were banned.

1 hour ago, eppic said:

Definitely some laughable posts here defending the taxi drivers.  On short trips we mostly just drive and park at Swampy, but on longer trips we generally use Uber/GrabCar or AOT.  

Regarding taxis, we have a small child and buggy, so generally need a taxi van rather than the smaller cars. technically, these are supposed to also use a meter, but this literally NEVER happens, either to or from the airport.

Drivers were generally demanding 600 baht from the airport to central BKK a couple of years ago, absolutely no less. Of the past several times we took a taxi, we had these experiences:

1) Roads were jammed, so driver absolutely refused to take us into Bangkok. Instead, he drove to an out of the way BTS station (at a fare that should have gotten us into Bangkok), and demanded that we get out with our luggage. To those that say they would refuse, really? You'd risk your family to argue with a nutso taxi driver?

2) After leaving airport, the driver demanded 800 baht to Bangkok. I refused, countering with a 600 baht offer, the normal going rate at that time. He started yelling and screaming, pulled over on the expressway and demanded that we get out right there.  So, of course I agreed to his price, but after he started again I took my phone out to take a photo of his car ID.  When he saw this he went BALLISTIC, looking absolutely homicidal, so of course I put the phone away.

So, you tell me, do you really want to deal with this? All of my friends that travel here, often from Singapore, always complain about the experience from the airport as well. Lack of seat belts, rude, bad smell, crazy driving, you name it.

Of dozens of Uber and Grab Car rides, I had only one bad experience, which happened to be an off-duty cop driving like a maniac on our trip to the airport. Otherwise, perfect, clean and polite.

Bottom line, I would now absolutely NEVER get in a Bangkok taxi with my family. Yeah, maybe 90% of the rides would be fine, but what about those 10% with a nutso driver?  I simply do not believe the apologists that always defend taxi drivers here; more likely they only defend taxis because they resent those willing and able to pay more for a much better and safer alternative. Sorry, but my family's life is worth more than the few baht I would save by taking a taxi.

Actually, sorry to say this, but your claim that drivers from (or to) the Airport NEVER put on the meter is laughable as well as a straight lie. I can counter that, on many arrivals, I have NEVER experienced a cab driver quoting a flat fee, absolutely never. I repeat, NEVER. Yes on two occasions I had a guy with a dodgy meter, but both times I just paid the regular metered fee and that was the end of it. My apartment did not suddenly move a whopping 10 kilometers away from BKK :)

Bangkok Taxi drivers are for the most part a fine bunch, and I fail to see how Uber drivers would be any better, Uber isn't exactly known to take vetting seriously. You like to pay more, sure, use Uber or AOT, for the rest of us, the regular Bangkok taxi driver will do nicely. Maniac drivers are part of the general picture and I don't believe for one minute that your average Uber driver or Grabcar (which mostly ARE the very same Bangkok taxi drivers by the way) would be any safer. Marketing works on some people, the more down to earth people just smile and continue using cheaper services.

17 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Actually, sorry to say this, but your claim that drivers from (or to) the Airport NEVER put on the meter is laughable as well as a straight lie. I can counter that, on many arrivals, I have NEVER experienced a cab driver quoting a flat fee, absolutely never. I repeat, NEVER. Yes on two occasions I had a guy with a dodgy meter, but both times I just paid the regular metered fee and that was the end of it. My apartment did not suddenly move a whopping 10 kilometers away from BKK :)

Bangkok Taxi drivers are for the most part a fine bunch, and I fail to see how Uber drivers would be any better, Uber isn't exactly known to take vetting seriously. You like to pay more, sure, use Uber or AOT, for the rest of us, the regular Bangkok taxi driver will do nicely. Maniac drivers are part of the general picture and I don't believe for one minute that your average Uber driver or Grabcar (which mostly ARE the very same Bangkok taxi drivers by the way) would be any safer. Marketing works on some people, the more down to earth people just smile and continue using cheaper services.

Next time try actually reading the post before posting complete nonsense and calling someone a liar. I said the van taxis never put on the meter. Are you telling me the larger suv/van taxis always put on the meter for you?  Sorry, that's a complete load of BS. Absolutely, completely false. Even at my hotel residence the staff don't even try to get those guys to use the meter, they would be blatantly refused. So look in the mirror before calling others "liar".. You fail to see how educated white collar office workers (typical Uber black driver) would be better than the average taxi driver in Bangkok? This is so senseless I'm not even sure how to respond. Anyway, enjoy your taxis, seems you are with your own kind so it's best for all.

Edited by eppic

Just now, eppic said:

Net time try actually reading the post before posting complete nonsense and calling someone a liar. I said the van taxis never put on the meter. Are you telling me the larger suv/van taxis always put on the meter for you?  Sorry, that's a complete load of BS. Absolutely, completely false. Even at my hotel residence the staff don't even try to get those guys to use the meter, they would be blatantly refused. So look in the mirror before calling others "liar".. You fail to see how educated white collar office workers (typical Uber black driver) would be better than the average taxi driver in Bangkok? This is so senseless I'm not even sure how to respond. Anyway, enjoy your taxis, seems you are with your own kind so it's best for all.

I never take mini vans, and I don't believe they are supposed to put on the meter.. The SUV like taxis are, and I had several during the years, and yes they ALWAYS turn on the meter. Plain and simple. You get a taxi at the taxi rank, they will put on the meter.

And to be blatantly honest with you, if you think the with your own kind is insulting to me, think again. Yes I will enjoy my taxis, and pay considerably less in the process. Have fun with your educated white collar office workers ! As if those would actually drive a taxi, surely they make more then enough money to not have to pickup some tourist with an attitude :D White collar office workers, LOL.

12 hours ago, eppic said:

I have had taxi's in Bangkok were the drivers eyes rolled back and foam started running from his mouth, as my wife shouted "out" "out" ,obviously this is because he had had a bad somtam and not the result of to much yar-bar as my thai wife said.

I have had a driver tell me when I pointed out he was going the wrong way that the M.O F.A had moved, he then dropped us miles from the building, I have had a driver drive around Bangkok for ages and then stopping and going on his phone and demanding 2k while refusing to put  his meter on. this happened and my wife witnessed it and I posted it on here at the time. so if any one is talking silly it is the people who say this never happened and I have used the taxi's for years....

I am not an every day taxi user but in near twenty years I have had my share of crazy taxi drivers in pattaya and Bangkok , I have also had some good drivers and I have posted on here praising them in fact "pattaya limo's" was my favourite firm for about four years and all the

drivers were top class until they started having issues and a nutty woman turned up.

I asked after my usual driver" ball" but just got a blank look.  This is all factual and my wife and my posts are proof, and what ever your experience you should just be grateful  that you have not had the same yet... but if it does I will post on here telling you it never happened. krap.

Edited by Scott
Messed up quote

While many people can give examples of being "scammed" by BKK taxi drivers, there is also no doubt that the vast majority of drivers do not scam and the ride is completely normal. However, that doesn't make a good story. Also it's not surprising that there are fewer Uber horror stories when there are significantly fewer Uber taxis!