Will the price of beer, wine and spirits go up?

webfact

Yup...that will happen!

NOT!

If it will, you can close down whole entertainment areas...and I am not only talking about Patpong and Nana!

Asiatique, RCA, many local bars, restaurants...

But in the end, it will be the fault of the pesky "farang kee nok", who are not willing to pay the prices!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The price of beer here is over priced anyway for the sewage they produce and call it lager. If it doubled then that would be the end of the industry IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised if some price went on.

I think (hope) they mean the duty would be doubled, not the the cost of the beer. But..........

Cost will go straight on to customer.

Any reason to make more money for the pot.

will be used here.

It just means the locals will make more booze themselves and drink more

commercially  produced Lao Khao.

Amazing Thailand.

Right i'm off out to the book store, see if i can  find a copy of the Blue Flame. :giggle:

The price of beer here is over priced anyway for the sewage they produce and call it lager. If it doubled then that would be the end of the industry IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised if some price went on.

Compared to the gnats piss they produce in the US I would say Thai beer is eminently more palatable

Lager, Sir, is sewage, nearly anywhere in the world.

I asked my coworkers and they confirmed that the red numbers in the photos show what will be the new price. I guess that ThaiBev and Sing corporation will die along with the Thai tourism industry when beer price gets as high (or even higher) as in Sweden and Norway!!!

59 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Cost will go straight on to customer.

Any reason to make more money for the pot.

will be used here.

It just means the locals will make more booze themselves and drink more

commercially  produced Lao Khao.

Amazing Thailand.

Right i'm off out to the book store, see if i can  find a copy of the Blue Flame. :giggle:

Why they don't introduce two tier pricing for alcohol beverages. Just charge all the non Thai's double the price they charge Thai's. Of course if the threat is to charge 10 times the price and then they back down to only double the price, that would be a win win feeling for everyone...

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

I like how - according to TV members - every proposition of the Thai government always is a risk for the tourism... :cool::biggrin:

Seriously, ithis could have an impact mainly on the sex-tourists that frequent the beer bars in the red-zones, and so it could be a good thing (IMHO) but even if Thailand would decide to globally forbid beer, there would be still millions of real-tourists willing to visit the country. :welcomeani:

But would they come back? 

I hear you and agree, majority of tourists are not deterred by increased alcohol prices. The ones that eventually might not return are people on avarage budgets, who come regularly once a year or so. They might look at Spain, Mexico or anywhere nearer to home and cheaper.

Anyone who understands how frail Thailand's current rule of law is would know that there is no way that gigantic price increases are going to be passed on to consumers as the drop in demand will seriously affect Thailand's liquor industry which is owned by people who are very high up in Thai society. 

What will happen if this is enforced will be large scale bootlegging. Anyone who has been to the Aranyuprathet-Poipet border will see how easily people walk from one country to the other with large trailers filled with goods for the Rong Kluea market without being stopped will know how easy it would be to get as much whiskey over the border as you like.  

Right now the risk isn't worth the reward, but if you need start paying an extra 30% tax on alcohol, you're choosing between your profit margin and/or your market.   

I'm interested to see where this goes, but I don't expect to be pay 300thb for a beer in a bar anytime soon. Alcohol price being relative to the wage of working class thais is what essentially floats this country's liquor industry.  Take away affordable booze and you get 20+ million Thais drinking lao kao at home, also taking money away from the eating establishments and entertainment precincts.   

46 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Compared to the gnats piss they produce in the US I would say Thai beer is eminently more palatable

If this were 1990 I'd agree with you but it isn't. The public got fed up with gnat's piss and that's why the craft beer movement began.

Oh for a similar movement in Thailand!

What is the government's justification,,, Greed?

Manufacturers and Wholesalers are not going to absorb the additional tax, it will be passed on to the retail sales outlets and bars, who will see this as an opportunity to gouge the customers.

Tourists can stay home and pay the same prices (for everything) that they are now paying in Thailand.....

5 minutes ago, madmitch said:

If this were 1990 I'd agree with you but it isn't. The public got fed up with gnat's piss and that's why the craft beer movement began.

Well as that still only represents around 22% market share in the US that means 78% is still gnats piss. It won't work in Thailand though because Thais know no different to the beers that they have been brought up on as beer brewing is relatively still a modern industry in Thailand, being less than 90 years old, rather than centuries old as in the West. So I guess to them the question would be  - why change ?

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

I like how - according to TV members - every proposition of the Thai government always is a risk for the tourism... :cool::biggrin:

Seriously, ithis could have an impact mainly on the sex-tourists that frequent the beer bars in the red-zones, and so it could be a good thing (IMHO) but even if Thailand would decide to globally forbid beer, there would be still millions of real-tourists willing to visit the country. :welcomeani:

There are many of us here that don't drink that much but if the prices will be like this then tourism industry here will loose as there are more tourists coming here to party and have fun than there are tourist coming here just to see the temples.

Even thou I don't agree with the sex tourism, its frankly an essential part of the tourism industry in Thailand today and an easy calculation will show you that: less tourists = less tourist $ = less tax money = more Thais in poverty.

When young girls don't care about studying and their grades but are only thinking about their looks so that they can start "working" hoping that they can find a rich foreigner to take care of them then you know that something is fundamentally wrong... I have had students that had done both facial and breast surgery before they turned 16 just so that they would earn more "working" and I know that at least 10 of my old students (he, she, it...) are "working" in Pattaya and other tourist destinations and more are "working" in local places serving Thais!!!
As I said, I don't like it but the sex-tourism has been grown strong sins the Vietnam war and the American GI's coming here and started it all!

28 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

Why they don't introduce two tier pricing for alcohol beverages. Just charge all the non Thai's double the price they charge Thai's. Of course if the threat is to charge 10 times the price and then they back down to only double the price, that would be a win win feeling for everyone...

Think,   maybe best you have a lemonade.

it help clear thinking.

( two tier pricing for alcohol beverages )  what ever next.

3 hours ago, retarius said:

I love Thai beer, especially Leo and Chang….I'm not sure how my mates would feel drinking the stuff AT 140 A BOTTLE? Some are already struggling after the fall in the value of the pound which has driven pensions down to poverty levels. Cheap housing, booze and cigs are the main ingredients of many folks' lives in Thailand there there will come a point where it becomes better going back to the UK.

At least you can get a decent beer in U.K

5 hours ago, outsider said:

Everything is relative, isn't it... hahaha. Having lived extensively in Malaysia, I consider alcohol prices in Thailand to be cheap! Very cheap. A proper drinking session is always on the agenda of visiting Malasian friends. I think Malaysia is one of most expensive places in the world to have a drink - forgot that website that did the ranking and can't be arsed to look for it. As an example - a can of Heineken in Thailand 7-11 is what, around THB40? In Malaysia, it's around RM10. That's about THB100. A large bottle of Japanese beer (500, 600ml?) at a 'proper' Japanese restaurant (one that Japaneses go to, not one of those Fuji/Zen chains) in BKK is about THB130 - 150. In KUL, that's going to set you back like RM20+ - or more than THB200. Assuming you can find such a beer in the first place. I know beer's much cheaper in some western countries, even after conversion but since I have never lived extensively in those markets, I guess it's a case of not missing what I never had... LOL Cheers guys

Malaysia is a muslim country with a high tax on alcohol and cannot be regarded as a bench mark. In the tax-free Malaysian Lankawi the price much lower.

5 minutes ago, hhinhh said:

Malaysia is a muslim country with a high tax on alcohol and cannot be regarded as a bench mark. In the tax-free Malaysian Lankawi the price much lower.

It's the same in any Muslim country "Singapore" "UAE" ........The home brew in Saudi was cheap though...

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

There is a craft beer movement in Thailand look on www.wishbeer.com

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Hi,

Sometimes a poster just hits it spot on like you have. The prices of beer in the country of Thailand is a nonsense.

You are now paying for sitting in a tacky table top bar in Bangkok, with a disinterested cashier and a filthy fan to cool the heat, playing copy movies screeching out from dying TV set the sum equivalent of 3 GBP for half of Lager. In a three star hotel at the reception bar it is now nearing 4.50GBP for half of lager!

I am astonished for this chemical crap they call lager!! That is 6 pounds and 9 pounds a pint!......... Are they mad. This is not a nightclub or a go go, providing entertainment, this is at 12 noon at smelly Patpong table top bar.

In the UK now, you can get all kinds of craft beers in Witherspoons and other bars at 2.50 GBP A PINT!!

I used to love having a few beers but you choke on it at these prices and then they stick a silver tray with your change on expecting a tip! In Vietnam and Cambodia, it is similar chemical rubbish but at least the price reflects that and it's cheap. The days of ' value for money ' in Thailand went out the window around 2006.

30 minutes ago, Godang said:

There is a craft beer movement in Thailand look on www.wishbeer.com

There are a couple of threads on this subject. The big brewers maintain their virtual monopoly as the law ensures the majority of small Thai brewers brew and bottle outside of Thailand and the beer is then subject to import tax. 

2 hours ago, janpharma said:

Let us all move to Cambodja...lovely beer at lovely prices...and nice people who have far better English skills...

yep.50 cents for half a pint of nice ankor beer in a bar is more like it?? ?

Archived