Will the price of beer, wine and spirits go up?

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

Come on you guys, nobody is going to stop drinking alcohol and tourists are not going to stop coming because the price of a bottle of beer goes up by 50 baht. If you drink you drink. Wise up 

The girls are much cheaper in Germany these days, the beer sure is, the saucages are much better, taxi's are very good and safe.

Thailand is far overpriced now and they even can't speak english. Ordered a cheeseburger set today in the MAC, had to say it 3 times and they still didn't know what i wanted.....what a shame..

yep.50 cents for half a pint of nice ankor beer in a bar is more like it[emoji481][emoji481] [emoji481]

But do people seriously factor in the cost of beer when considering which country to live in?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Hi,

Sometimes a poster just hits it spot on like you have. The prices of beer in the country of Thailand is a nonsense.

You are now paying for sitting in a tacky table top bar in Bangkok, with a disinterested cashier and a filthy fan to cool the heat, playing copy movies screeching out from dying TV set the sum equivalent of 3 GBP for half of Lager. In a three star hotel at the reception bar it is now nearing 4.50GBP for half of lager!

I am astonished for this chemical crap they call lager!! That is 6 pounds and 9 pounds a pint!......... Are they mad. This is not a nightclub or a go go, providing entertainment, this is at 12 noon at smelly Patpong table top bar.

In the UK now, you can get all kinds of craft beers in Witherspoons and other bars at 2.50 GBP A PINT!!

I used to love having a few beers but you choke on it at these prices and then they stick a silver tray with your change on expecting a tip! In Vietnam and Cambodia, it is similar chemical rubbish but at least the price reflects that and it's cheap. The days of ' value for money ' in Thailand went out the window around 2006.

I'll suggest you get yourself out of Patpong at 12 noon

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I like how - according to TV members - every proposition of the Thai government always is a risk for the tourism... :cool::biggrin:

Seriously, ithis could have an impact mainly on the sex-tourists that frequent the beer bars in the red-zones, and so it could be a good thing (IMHO) but even if Thailand would decide to globally forbid beer, there would be still millions of real-tourists willing to visit the country. :welcomeani:

What absolute nonsense. Impact on sex tourists. Sex tourists not come to Thailand because beer too expensive. This is a good thing. They may be the only ones (except for the hi-so's) that can afford it.

16 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

But do people seriously factor in the cost of beer when considering which country to live in?

if you like to drink beer, then YES ???

This is really welcome. I do really hope that it´s going to affect the end price for the customer.
Means all the powerdrinker that today can afford to drink 10 beer every day, will come down to the amount of half.
Sounds like there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Me, I will still drink my beer as usual. The small amount of one box a month can´t be bothered with a slight topup of price.

6 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

What a bunch of total BS! Don't they tax you enough here? So wine taxes are going to 800%? Almost enough to make you go sober.

I think wine is taxed a duty of 54%, an excise of 60%, 7% VAT and the alcohol content tax of 300 baht per liter of pure alcohol so about another 27 baht per bottle, and this is about the alcohol content tax so would not effect the duty, excise and VAT rate, it should just see a rise in cost of 27 baht per bottle, and if they are correct this could be absorbed by the retailer, seems unlikely though.  If my calculations are correct it would mean an increase of 8 baht on a bottle of Leo.  Also there is a shelf of 60%, that allows LaoCao to be sold for roughly what the cost of the tax would be.

in 7/11 a 62 cl  chang is 56 thb

in small shop near my condo is 50 thb 

if you buy box of 12  the price is 555 thb    (46.25 thb for bottle)

So dose that mean a price of a large Chang is going to be 122THB

56-42 is 14 for the beer the rest is tax

Now 108+14 is 122

If that is right it's scary

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

if you like to drink beer, then YES [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]

I drink a lot of Champagne and wine. Granted because of cost I do end up drinking a lot more Prosecco than Champagne in Thailand.

21 minutes ago, marino28 said:

can anybody that know thai explain this please?

for a beer 5% alchool  the tax go from 42.10 to 108 thb ?  for liter or for bottle?

thanks

I believe that is someones creation who has no idea what this is about, the increase is not based on the cost of the item but the total alcohol content and to a maximum of 60% of the value.  At present I think it is 300 baht per liter of pure alcohol, so about 7 or 8 baht per bottle of beer, and it is that rate that is set to double.

I going to unsubscribe to this Thread till it actually happens I don't believe it. Let's hope it's fake news. Or only 8THB a bottle

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Interesting explanation of what it's all about

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/02/27/higher-booze-tax-doesnt-mean-higher-booze-tax-tax-office/

10 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

Interesting explanation of what it's all about

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/02/27/higher-booze-tax-doesnt-mean-higher-booze-tax-tax-office/

Thanks, but it is not very clear as the tax is not just taken straight from the product cost but on the alcohol content in relation to the product cost, now it will calculated on the alcohol content in relation to the retail cost, anyway my previous calculations will be way off then, it will mean a much larger rise in cost.

Thanks, but it is not very clear as the tax is not just taken straight from the product cost but on the alcohol content in relation to the product cost, now it will calculated on the alcohol content in relation to the retail cost, anyway my previous calculations will be way off then, it will mean a much larger rise in cost.

It could be that the wrong amount is already being calculated and once a new higher rate is applied correctly it could result in a lower price to the consumer.

7 hours ago, Mr Big said:

Needless to say, the price goes up for beer and wine under the pretext of protecting the hard drinking Thai people. Nobody ever talks about the real dangerous stuff, the Lao Khao is as cheap as ever and the most dangerous for the part of the population that need the protection. Wine drinkers are seldom alcoholics.

The price of wine is  high, but affordable, if it goes up, the market will shrink.

Where did you get the idea wine drinkers are seldom alcoholics? You could say the overwhelming majority of drinkers of anything are not alcoholics.

Lao Khao is nasty stuff, but how do you tax hooch?

Tax on alcohol is always passed on to the consumer, but I'm not packing my bags yet though, as so many of these "announcements" are just hot air in Thailand.

1 minute ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Where did you get the idea wine drinkers are seldom alcoholics? You could say the overwhelming majority of drinkers of anything are not alcoholics.

Lao Khao is nasty stuff, but how do you tax hooch?

Tax on alcohol is always passed on to the consumer, but I'm not packing my bags yet though, as so many of these "announcements" are just hot air in Thailand.

Lao Khao is made in factories and taxed.

4 hours ago, hhinhh said:

Malaysia is a muslim country with a high tax on alcohol and cannot be regarded as a bench mark. In the tax-free Malaysian Lankawi the price much lower.

Do I read you correctly, Langkawi is tax-free?? I did not know that.

So drinking in bars and restaurants there is cheaper than Thailand? Can you quote some examples please H.

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes do it! But don't look strange if it kills the tourism.

Thai beer is filthy anyway and imported beer too expensive so i stopped drinking.

Yep Beer Lao at B 50 a bottle- farkin extortionate isn't it! The good news is that a lot of 7/11s stock it now so you'll be able to sit outside with your mates. Mind you its B53 for lager and B59 for Dark so don't bust the bank.

Archived