Higher booze tax doesn't mean higher booze tax: Tax office

snoop1130

Higher booze tax doesn't mean higher booze tax: Tax office

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

zombie.beer_-768x512.jpg

BANGKOK — Changes to alcohol taxes won’t leave a sour taste for consumers, tax authorities said Monday.

While new alcohol tax rates have yet to be finalized, the Excise Department says don’t expect alcohol to be taxed at the newly raised cap of up to 150 percent of retail price.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/02/27/higher-booze-tax-doesnt-mean-higher-booze-tax-tax-office/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-2-27

28 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

Cambodia seems more likely by the day.

For the booze: yes.

Makes one cry when you see the selection of good wines and champagne for reasonable prices :sad:

Raising prices for the basic drug: another brick in the wall for the happy government? I don't see happy faces for that.

Unless they are moving the tax collection to the retailer I don't understand how this will work. From the article -

The biggest change is coming to how the taxes are assessed. Instead of being levied on the price out of the factory, the new structure will be imposed on retail prices.

If the manufacturer still pays what happens when booze is sold on promotion and how will they monitor all the different retail prices in all the shops?

I guess they can base it on some sort of RRP...........

5 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

There using a. Ew math equation 2 plus 2 equals 3 in Thailand TIT

No.. It looks like that Thailand is more likely using binary 1 + 1 = 10

Just take a look at the entry prices for foreigners at national parks. 10x more than Thai

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Does aanyone know what the taxes various types of alcohol are currently eg 5% beer; 5.5% beer, wine 12-14%, whiskey 40%"?

If the excise tax rates are still the same as those that took effect on 3 September 2013, they appear to be as follows:

Beer
Maximum 60% of wholesale price plus THB 300 per litre of pure alcohol.

Wine
If the wholesale is less than THB 600 price per bottle: THB 1’000 per litre of pure alcohol.
If the wholesale price is THB 600 or more per bottle: 36% of wholesale price plus THB 1’000 per litre of pure alcohol.

Source: http://www.cyansiam.com/blog/2013/11/02/new-alcohol-tax-thailand (but I have some reservations about its accuracy)

• 4 weeks later...

Another price increase for beer is ridiculous. Beer is already expensive in Thailand, why make it even more expensive!

In Germany, cheap beer (which is quite enjoyable) costs about 40 baht / liter !

With 5% alcohol, Beer isn't even an interesting liquor to get drunk on !

My feeling is that authorities should keep taxes for beverages containing less than 5% of alcohol at a minimum, that is key for "bringing happiness".