Retirement visa agent or go it alone

Hi all I realize this topic has been covered before but I do wish to ask again as it doesn't seem so straight forward

i wil be turning 50 in April and wish to get a retirement visa

I have 80000 in the bank and also own a condo,by the way I'll be exiting thailand mid march returning end of march

so I am wondering whether I should try to get the visa by myself or should I just pay an agent to do it?

the plan is to enter thailand with a tourist visa and an exit from Thailand to Vientiane which I may use to attempt to get the non immigrant o

as i said i would prefer to try to do it myself but wonder if there will be hiccups like medical report or criminal record needed , while I have also heard that the original sa nook with blue book is needed

anyway any replies or experiences would be welcome

by the way i will try to get a tourist visa in osaka,,regards and thanks

Leave come back get 30 days on arrival then apply for the nonO make sure you have 15 days left on the 30 day arrival , then go back and get your extension of stay based on retirement. You cannot leave the country between the non0 and extension of stay period. When you go back for your extension of stay you might also want to get a re entry permit , multiple or single if you plan on leaving before you yearly renewal is due. If you get an agent it will probably cost you 18,000 B or more .  Just do it your self , you can download the forms from the Thai immigration website get a couple of photos and make sure you get a letter from the bank or ATM receipt of the 800k in the bank on the day of application . Good luck if there is anything I missed Ubonjoe will fill you in. 

• Like 2

I recommend you go to the Immigration Web site Q&A and make a check list.

The rules change and some offices and officers have different opinions.

The first time you might go to Immigration with your check list in advance and confirm everything with an Officer.  Write down his name for future reference.

Understand the bank money is preferred in a savings account and has to be seasoned the first time for two months prior to the application date and for 3 months the following year.

Don't close any bank savings accounts as I'm told by two banks that if I close the account they will not open a new one without a work visa.  And, I've been a customer for 11 years! 

Also, you are now restricted by some banks from wiring money out of the country without a work visa, if you can't show that the money was wired in!

Always, bring your passport to the bank now if you are completing paperwork and even at the post office to mail a letter!  Ugg..

• Like 1

Its only 15000baht plus through an agent if you haven't actually got the money in the bank :smile:
If you have the money in the bank and just want them to submit your paperwork and ensure everything is order and a guarantee to get your extension, expect to pay no more than 5000-6000bht which would include your 1900bht extension.

If you are cannot or not wish to speak Thai it would be cheaper to find a lady bar that can translate for you rather than an agent. Jomtein is probably different from the country but I always take a Thai speaker along. But as the others have said it is not difficult to do it yourself.

i'm planning the do it yourself route at CW in bkk.  i came in yesterday with a visa exempt entry and hope to get the required documents in order on thurs and go to CW on friday am.  so i'll be converting visa exempt entry to non imm O, then get extension of stay later on.  going with the 800,000thb in bank option.  i know i'll be making two trips to get the non imm O.  can i get some confirmation/assistance on the required documents ?

form TM87

copy of pp - picture page, stamp page, plus tm 6 form.

photo (i have a bunch of these)

apartment lease

bank book - updated morning of visit (amount needs to match amount on letter)

bank letter - getting this day before from bangkok bank, silom office.  USD account.  others have said day before is ok at CW.

pay fee 2,000thb

i believe i need to make two copies of everything in the package.  what part of the bank book do they want copied ?  the first page and the page with the current balance ?  do i need an original apartment lease ? do i need any kind of letter from the landlord ?  (i got one of these when i opened a bank account which certified the lease was legitimate).

thanks in advance for any assistance. 

4 minutes ago, buick said:

i'm planning the do it yourself route at CW in bkk.

Here what Bangkok immigration has on their website and it is what they want.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.
  1. The application must be submitted at least 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.
  2. 1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or
    1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.
  3. A copy of passport pages (for example, personal information page, last entries stamp, visa sticker and extension stamp (if any) and departure card (Form TM.6))
  4. Either one 4x6 cm photograph or one 2 inch size photograph
  5. Application fee of Baht 2,000
  6. 5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
    5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
    5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
    *(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)or
  7. A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or
  8. Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6  (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000

You only need one of every thing listed.

The letter you get from the bank must show the amount in baht using the exchange rate for the date you get it since it is foreign currency account. You will also need the letter stating the funds came from abroad. They will accept the letter from the day before but the bank book must be update on the date you apply. You can do that on the ground floor of CW immigration and get copies of it.

• Like 2

Of course extension of stay on retirement is different then a retirement visa. Not sure if one has an advantage over the other. I have decided to get an actual retirement visa in the states when i return in may. Im pretty sure i can get a multi entry retirement visa so i can come and go as i need but may he wrong on this point

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

16 minutes ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Of course extension of stay on retirement is different then a retirement visa. Not sure if one has an advantage over the other. I have decided to get an actual retirement visa in the states when i return in may. Im pretty sure i can get a multi entry retirement visa so i can come and go as i need but may he wrong on this point

You would get a multiple entry OA long stay visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

Thanks for the extra info supplied by ubonjoe and others   Not sure if I feel 100 percent sure about everything but at least I have a bit to think about,,  can't believe that those new to this might think it is straight forward , but will give it my best effortssss

6 minutes ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Thanks. I assume this true oa retirement visa can only be procured in my home country..usa..as its a retirement visa and not an extension of stay based on retirement

Only in the states or a country you are a legal resident of.

See: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

• Like 1

Its only 15000baht plus through an agent if you haven't actually got the money in the bank[emoji2] If you have the money in the bank and just want them to submit your paperwork and ensure everything is order and a guarantee to get your extension, expect to pay no more than 5000-6000bht which would include your 1900bht extension.

I have the problem of not having 800.000 baht in my bank. Is using and paying an agent this amount about 15000 baht a genuine solution to this problem. Can anyone recommend an agent who could help me in this matter.I meet all the other requirements .

Sent from my LG-V700 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 28/02/2017 at 3:34 PM, does said:

An agent is great if you are willing to spend the money. I'd rather go the the dentist than to Jomtien.

I do it myself every year at Jomtien. It takes me under an hour spread over two visits on two successive days. The second visit is just 5 minutes to pick up the passport. Simple, fast, cheap. One would hardly think it was Thailand.

19 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

If you have the money in the bank and just want them to submit your paperwork and ensure everything is order and a guarantee to get your extension, expect to pay no more than 5000-6000bht which would include your 1900bht extension.

I dare say it does happen but I've never heard of anyone with the correct paperwork being refused, and I know dozens of people who are on retirement extensions here. The paperwork is so easy that I find it hard to imagine why anyone living within travelling distance of Jomtien would want to use an agent unless they dont have the cash for the deposit and dont have enough income for the consulate letter. I do know people in that situation.

this am i got two letters from bangkok bank, silom.  one from the USD acct dept and one from the THB acct dept.  so i have the 800,000 piece covered and understand i'll have to make a deposit tonight, then a withdrawal tomorrow am, in order to have my THB bank book show the proper balance with a date the same as my visit to CW immigration (tomorrow).

i'm not so sure the letters have covered the 'funds come from outside thailand' part.  maybe the immigration guys can tell by looking at the codes in the bank books (or copies of such books).  i asked about confirming the funds came from outside thailand when i requested the letter(s) but neither dept seemed to know what i was talking about.  the letters are in thai so not sure.

not a big deal, i'll go to the bangkok bank at CW if i need to (i'm sure they know more about this than my home branch).  just wondered if anyone knows how they determine the funds come from outside thailand ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017 at 2:52 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Sorry but this is not true for everyone pattaya immigration will not give you a change of visa to a category-O unless you jump through so many hoops that they make nearly impossible to meet.

As you can read in my thread its a lot more difficult than you think