How painful is cataract surgery?

yimlitnoy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No pain when i had it done. Just a little pressure and vibration from the procedure.

I must say it was stressful though. Perhaps the worst I can remember in my life. The doctor was talking to me the entire time telling me to relax which did help.

As said there should not be much pain at all - just a twisting/scrape feeling maybe when they insert the lens but it only lasts a couple of seconds.  As said it can be stressful as you want to do as told and keep still (but then they tell you to look up or down).  During the breaking up of the old lens and sucking it out you may hear a little noise.  But it is really no pain to speak of.  

It is nto just drops, they inject a nerve block. Brief pain with the injection but I'm told no worse than a shot at the dentist. Then no pain at all. My sister just had it done and I was present in the OR with her throughout.  She heard noise and felt a little vibration but no paid at all, neither during nor after.

16 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As said there should not be much pain at all - just a twisting/scrape feeling maybe when they insert the lens but it only lasts a couple of seconds.  As said it can be stressful as you want to do as told and keep still (but then they tell you to look up or down).  During the breaking up of the old lens and sucking it out you may hear a little noise.  But it is really no pain to speak of.  

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No pain when i had it done. Just a little pressure and vibration from the procedure.

I must say it was stressful though. Perhaps the worst I can remember in my life. The doctor was talking to me the entire time telling me to relax which did help.

Best way to manage the stress?  I have to do it next week and I am very scared indeed...

Read about it - it is probably the most common operation performed and done everywhere (even in the wilds of jungles) and almost always successful.  Not really an operations that should be a concern for worry - but suspect that is more to do with the horror movies we all watched as kids and our normal concern for eye safety.  In this case it is just a very genital touch.

16 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Not at all painful, I've had the cataracts done on both eyes.  Also had additional eye operations on both eyes, also zero pain.  All done with eye drops only.

Re stress, well, gotta agree with that, I did tense up but kept telling myself to relax. All these done at Rutnin.

May I ask when you had the procedure done? I am contemplating voluntary vision correction surgery and would like t know you feel about the total experience at Rutnin, from initial consultation to post-op care.

I had vision correction (Lasik, though I think there is a newer procedure now) about 15 years ago at the Thai Refractive Surgery Center. They were the first to do refractive surgery in Thailand and specialize in it exclusively. Highly recommend them.

Go and see Dr Somchai @ Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, he's one of the world's leading eye surgeon's for a procedure called supersight. Complete lens replacement in both eyes. Both my English wife and I had this procedure last year and were both really pleased with the results never have to wear glasses again and will never have cataract problems. 

You have anaesthetic drops placed into both eyes prior to the procedure, no pain whatsoever, awake during it, stay overnight, absolutely brilliant results... 

Recommend it 100%

4 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

I have to do it next week and I am very scared indeed...

there's nothing to be scared of! i started snoring several times and was reprimanded "please stay awake Sir!"

10 minutes ago, Naam said:

ahem... cough... cough... :smile:

Spellcheckers can be a curse when too small to read.  :shock1:

Edit:  now it looks like a double entendre (which Google also does not like) - sometimes you can't win.

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

there's nothing to be scared of! i started snoring several times and was reprimanded "please stay awake Sir!"

So, does that mean it would be a bad idea to take a xanax or valium before the procedure if you happen to have one around?  I made the mistake of doing this before a three hour session in the dentist's chair for work on multiple crowns.  I kept dozing off and annoying the dentist who had to remind me to keep my mouth open and my head turned in the proper position multiple times.  

Me too I've had the cataracts done on both eyes with an interval of 4 weeks.

No pain at all and all done with eye drops only. Done in Italy. As I was very scared before I asked for some tranquilizer which worked fine.

Courage ! :))

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I must say it was stressful though.

I can empathize. I had about 10 injections of a cancer drug (to treat subretinal bleeding, not cancer) directly into the eyeball over a couple of years with nothing more than eyedrops for anesthesia.

The injection itself wasn't very painful, but lying on the table with my eyelid clamped open, an extremely bright light shining into my eye and some sort of industrial strength antiseptic in and around the eye while waiting for the needle to be plunged into the eyeball was a horrible experience.

About the time I was about to call a halt to any more injections, the bleeding did stop and I recovered some of the sight in that eye which I guess made it worthwhile, but I'd have to give a lot of thought to going through that ever again.

Go for it OP, nooooooooooooo problem..........I am hoping to get mine done soon if "stuff" works out. If stuff works out I will run to the theatre....Had retina done 2001, that was a crap experience BUT my sight was all that mattered, and of course my vocal chords NEVER having a problem....Angels voice....thumbs up.gif

21 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Not at all painful, I've had the cataracts done on both eyes.  Also had additional eye operations on both eyes, also zero pain.  All done with eye drops only.

Re stress, well, gotta agree with that, I did tense up but kept telling myself to relax.

All these done at Rutnin.

Mac

Rutnin is THE best place, totally painless and most important of all the surgeons know what they are doing. Perfect results and in a state of euphoria ever since !

So, does that mean it would be a bad idea to take a xanax or valium before the procedure if you happen to have one around?  I made the mistake of doing this before a three hour session in the dentist's chair for work on multiple crowns.  I kept dozing off and annoying the dentist who had to remind me to keep my mouth open and my head turned in the proper position multiple times.  

Whether it is a good or bad idea I think depends on how certain you are of your reaction to such meds. They do need you to be alert enough to follow instructions.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Gawd.................facepalm.gif

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is nto just drops, they inject a nerve block. Brief pain with the injection but I'm told no worse than a shot at the dentist. Then no pain at all. My sister just had it done and I was present in the OR with her throughout.  She heard noise and felt a little vibration but no paid at all, neither during nor after.

I have had both eyes done and it is exactly as Sheryl says. The injection which they do to the back of the eyeball is unpleasant but not painful. I had a 20 minute wait for the anesthetic to take effect. Then they started with the lazer knife and it looked like the most spectacular firework display that I have ever seen. Just lie back and enjoy the display. After 15 minutes all was finished and I had a cup of tea and a biscuit and went home. Absolutely no big deal. 6 months later I returned to get the other eye done. If you feel stressed ask one of the pretty nurses to hold your hand.

I have had both eyes done here in Thailand, there was no real pain. But i could feel the pushing in the first op. He was way to rough and actually detached the retina. Be aware

After  some major surgeries trying to re-attach the retina the final one ended with being blind in one eye.

The hospital did not say they had left left strapping around the eye. Later that went septic and extremely painful.

An international hospital in Sriracha just tried to check my eyesight. Photo taken less than an hour after the hospital visit and and being told all is ok!

The rutnin eye hospital in bkk, did a wonderful job of cleaning up the mess. BUT it was extremely painful, even the pain killer injections were like bee sting, due to the infection i think. But within a few minutes of finishing all pain was gone.

800,000 baht in total and eyesight in one eye lost.

Choose carefully.

chris eye and noi family 023.jpg

6 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

Best way to manage the stress?  I have to do it next week and I am very scared indeed...

Don't be - it is a very simple and not in the slightest bit painful. I didn't even realise the surgeon had finished. there's absolutely no reason for stress and the best way is to look forward to it knowing that shortly afterwards you'll be able to see crystal clearly. It's really a fantastic feeling when you have the patch taken off and wow you feel like a new person!!!

23 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I have had both eyes done here in Thailand, there was no real pain. But i could feel the pushing in the first op. He was way to rough and actually detached the retina. Be aware

After  some major surgeries trying to re-attach the retina the final one ended with being blind in one eye.

The hospital did not say they had left left strapping around the eye. Later that went septic and extremely painful.

An international hospital in Sriracha just tried to check my eyesight. Photo taken less than an hour after the hospital visit and and being told all is ok!

The rutnin eye hospital in bkk, did a wonderful job of cleaning up the mess. BUT it was extremely painful, even the pain killer injections were like bee sting, due to the infection i think. But within a few minutes of finishing all pain was gone.

800,000 baht in total and eyesight in one eye lost.

Choose carefully.

chris eye and noi family 023.jpg

The best guy is the doctor at the Pattaya Eye Clinic/hospital - he's online and he operates from a hospital in Bangkok. He's very reasonable pricewise and and a real professional - I saw him twice and he fixed me up a treat . No bullshit or trying to ramp up the prices. He's one of those good honest doctors who works for himself . DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR A CERTAIN LARGE GROUP OF HOSPITALS THAT ARE IN RAYONG AND PATTAYA - You'll have to work out who but they are a complete rip off and tried to charge nearly ten times what Pattaya Eye Clinic charged me in the end!

Hi

I had both eyes done on separate dates at the Ram CM ,There is no pain but i had to stay overnight as i have pr existing medical condition  .Perfect result .The process although stressful is not painful and the results are well worth it.A life changer

Archived