How painful is cataract surgery?

yimlitnoy

On 28 February, 2017 at 6:52 PM, lopburi3 said:

As said there should not be much pain at all - just a twisting/scrape feeling maybe when they insert the lens but it only lasts a couple of seconds.  As said it can be stressful as you want to do as told and keep still (but then they tell you to look up or down).  During the breaking up of the old lens and sucking it out you may hear a little noise.  But it is really no pain to speak of.  

i experienced sharp pains just reading that

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine was not painful at all. I live in Nakhon Sawan, and used Dr. Naret, who seems to be the most trusted ophthalmologist here. I know there's a woman ophthalmologist, too, but don't know where her office is. Anyway, he has a deal with Srisawan Hospital, so I had to stay overnight after the surgery, There's some discomfort as they immobilize the eye with some sort of anesthetic, but it's not painful. Pressure applied while they wait for the anesthetic to take effect. After the operation they made me keep a bandage covering the eye for several days. I don't remember now, maybe it was as long as a week. I understand in the States it's sometimes (often?) done as an outpatient procedure, so it's very routine. 

On 2/28/2017 at 5:51 AM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Not at all painful, I've had the cataracts done on both eyes.  Also had additional eye operations on both eyes, also zero pain.  All done with eye drops only.

Re stress, well, gotta agree with that, I did tense up but kept telling myself to relax.

All these done at Rutnin.

Mac

You're awake when they do that ?   Do you see all of this as it's going on ?  I can't imagine seeing a blade come at my eye. I would freak out.  

Can't they knock you out for this procedure ?  

2 hours ago, leggo said:

Don't be - it is a very simple and not in the slightest bit painful. I didn't even realise the surgeon had finished. there's absolutely no reason for stress and the best way is to look forward to it knowing that shortly afterwards you'll be able to see crystal clearly. It's really a fantastic feeling when you have the patch taken off and wow you feel like a new person!!!

You're awake when they do that ?   Do you see all of this as it's going on ?  I can't imagine seeing a blade come at my eye. I would freak out.  

Can't they knock you out for this procedure ?  

1 hour ago, Acharn said:

Mine was not painful at all. I live in Nakhon Sawan, and used Dr. Naret, who seems to be the most trusted ophthalmologist here. I know there's a woman ophthalmologist, too, but don't know where her office is. Anyway, he has a deal with Srisawan Hospital, so I had to stay overnight after the surgery, There's some discomfort as they immobilize the eye with some sort of anesthetic, but it's not painful. Pressure applied while they wait for the anesthetic to take effect. After the operation they made me keep a bandage covering the eye for several days. I don't remember now, maybe it was as long as a week. I understand in the States it's sometimes (often?) done as an outpatient procedure, so it's very routine. 

That is not normal unless you mean as a covering at night to prevent rubbing eye on bed?  Normally only first night has bandage and it is removed next morning and for a week you tape a plastic eye cover over eye to protect it when sleeping.

2012-NEW-font-b-Product-b-font-font-b-Medical-b-font-Eye-Shield-opthalmology-font.jpg

Depends where you get it carried out from what I have seen.

My Mother In Law got it done in a government hospital, took 3 days for two eyes, they used some contraption to pull back her eyelids and she was bricking it. However, she said that the pain was not that bad. Since she had it done she has suffered from severe dizzy spells virtually everyday since - A month now.

You normally have to avoid strong light for a long time as your eyes will be much more sensitive (dark glasses when out or in bright room).  Expect that might make you dizzy feeling as the brightness does become painful (and colors will often be much more vivid).  Both these seem to fade as your mind adjusts to the new vision.  

Only had the one IOL done so far so good, as the other reye is still sparkly clean of cataract

I had heard... and it turned out I followed the said trend - that Males sleep through it

(I can also sleep easily during dental work, so go figure)

The regime of the different drops, and the eye guard for overnight, ensured the results came out as expected...

...except...

It has been 11 years now, and the IOL eye can still only focus on long distance (I can see the moon perfectly now :ph34r: )

But, immediately after the op, and for at least a year following:

At night, or at least with a strong sharp light source (Lamps, bright moon etc) , I could see this interference 'ring' in my vision

Think of the 6 Million Dollar man, and I got the effect of Lee Major's graduated eyeball vision, in a varying from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock ring. 

At my 1st annual follow up, the Eye Doc reckoned the diameter of the installed IOL didn't match (too sa]mall) for my iris.

Of course in the dark the iris is larger and the mistake became overly noticeable.

What was funny though was the Doc's reaction, when I told him that I was capable of varying the IOL eye's focus, albeit only a tad though. These IOL are omni focal. (like a cheap throwaway camera's fixed lens)

Turned out that I had developed the 'skill'??  of being able to control the blood pressure in my eye, hence distorting the focus effect.

I can still do that, even now... 

Another thing, is that about 10 years after the op, my vision has gone misty thru the IOL.

Not another cataract, but the Doc says this a normal to be expected follow-on complication, that can be corrected in the future, with laser...

I've had both of my eyes done for cataract replacement with an eye doctor in Hua Hin.  One month apart.  Absolutely no pain at all and the op only takes a few minutes.  It's a little like looking through a kaleidoscope.  Best light show I've seen.  Your eye is covered for the first day but the following day is magical.  Within half an hour of surgery, I was in my local restaurant treating myself to a couple of pints of London Pride.  Several of my friends have gone through the same procedure with absolutely no pain.  My 92 year old mother has recently had it done with the same result.  "That was wonderful.  I wouldn't mind having that done every week!" 

You can watch the  op on Youtube if you wish.  Although it looks pretty horrible, you  will hear the patients talking while the op  is underway.  In general, there are no nerves in your eyes which transmit pain so the saying "I'd rather have needles stuck in my eyes" is absolute nonsense.

Get it done.  Enjoy the experience.  Then marvel at the beauty of the outside world that you'd forgotten.

On 2/28/2017 at 1:51 PM, Thanyaburi Mac said:

Not at all painful, I've had the cataracts done on both eyes.  Also had additional eye operations on both eyes, also zero pain.  All done with eye drops only.

Re stress, well, gotta agree with that, I did tense up but kept telling myself to relax.

All these done at Rutnin.

Mac

Thanx Rutin did my lasik surgery in 2000, love my eyes ever since, but think I'm getting old despite assurances from Bumrungrad that I don't need a 'tune up' and the evidence of cataracts are miniscule, I still think I have problems with my eyes...........going back next month for eval.

Had both eyes done, only slight stinging from the eye drops.  Had a further three major eye operations, again no pain whatsoever.  No need to worry about anything. Don't know what they're on about with the stress level, I had none.  Just need confidence in the doctor.:wai:

16 hours ago, ketherin said:

Go and see Dr Somchai @ Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, he's one of the world's leading eye surgeon's for a procedure called supersight. Complete lens replacement in both eyes. Both my English wife and I had this procedure last year and were both really pleased with the results never have to wear glasses again and will never have cataract problems. 

You have anaesthetic drops placed into both eyes prior to the procedure, no pain whatsoever, awake during it, stay overnight, absolutely brilliant results... 

Recommend it 100%

do they do both eyes at the same time?????????? just thinking if it goes wrong could you loose your eye site?

On 2/28/2017 at 5:20 PM, ubonjoe said:

No pain when i had it done. Just a little pressure and vibration from the procedure.

I must say it was stressful though. Perhaps the worst I can remember in my life. The doctor was talking to me the entire time telling me to relax which did help.

Did you get the surgery in Thailand?  

Need to have it done sometime in the next few years. Pretty sure it is not that painful from what I've read but more scary is being able to see when it is being done. That is what would be stressful for me. Don't the doctors somehow temporarily restrict your sight (blind you) while the operation is being carried out? That to, of course, would be stressful but better than seeing a sharp knife heading for your eye.

Am considering India as the place to have mine done. Much, much, much cheaper than here I'm told. Anybody any recommendations/prices?

8 hours ago, HHTel said:

In general, there are no nerves in your eyes which transmit pain so the saying

Not true.

On the other hand, the cornea contains the highest concentration of nerve fibers of any body structure, making it extremely sensitive to pain.  The nerve fibers enter on the margins of the cornea and radiate toward the center.  These fibers are associated with numerous pain receptors that have a very low threshold.

http://www.tedmontgomery.com/the_eye/index.html

17 hours ago, leggo said:

The best guy is the doctor at the Pattaya Eye Clinic/hospital - he's online and he operates from a hospital in Bangkok. He's very reasonable pricewise and and a real professional - I saw him twice and he fixed me up a treat . No bullshit or trying to ramp up the prices. He's one of those good honest doctors who works for himself . DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR A CERTAIN LARGE GROUP OF HOSPITALS THAT ARE IN RAYONG AND PATTAYA - You'll have to work out who but they are a complete rip off and tried to charge nearly ten times what Pattaya Eye Clinic charged me in the end!

Do you mean Pattaya Eye Center  located near Big C Extra, Central Pattaya run by Dr.Nattawat?

I think you have the idea now. there is no pain and few problematic issues, but they can occur. Consequently, seek a doctor within whom you can find trust. The operation takes maybe 30 minutes each eye. You are awake the entire time and even though there is no pain, it is disconcerting to have someone sticking things in your eyes. You are asked to wear a bandage over the eye operated upon and to take it easy overnight. The next day the doctor took off the bandage and I could see very well. I went back a week later to have the right eye done. I do not need glasses, period—I can see far and near; I work on computers, read, ride and drive long distances, and enjoy seeing lovely ladies walking even blocks away.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

operation takes maybe 30 minutes each eye.

The op should never take more than 10 mins and in most cases even less.  I didn't time my first eye but the second was done in just under 8 mins.

5 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Not true.

Yes, you are correct.  The cornea is the one part of the eye that has pain receptors.  The eye drops that are given are obviously extremely good as everyone I've spoken to confirms that there is no pain at all.  I certainly didn't have any and was looking forward to the other eye being done.

18 minutes ago, HHTel said:

The op should never take more than 10 mins and in most cases even less.  I didn't time my first eye but the second was done in just under 8 mins.

Yes, you are correct.  The cornea is the one part of the eye that has pain receptors.  The eye drops that are given are obviously extremely good as everyone I've spoken to confirms that there is no pain at all.  I certainly didn't have any and was looking forward to the other eye being done.

Well, HHTel, I am sure you must be an expert, but each operation took about 30 minutes for me. Of course, as a layman, I consider the time I entered the OR to the time I left it as being the time for the operation.

Expect 30 minutes is about normal OR time - believe it was for mine.  Also there will be an hour or two prior to OR for drops and dilation to take effect (and for me that was very slow and had to wait for another patient as mine were not ready even after more than an hour).  Had done about noontime so got final drops and then went to lunch to allow dilation.

Be sure to have sunglasses for after bandage removal next day (some facilities may provide).  But you are going to want a good wraparound pair in any case so may as well get now - got mine on way home after operation.

21 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Depends where you get it carried out from what I have seen.

My Mother In Law got it done in a government hospital, took 3 days for two eyes, they used some contraption to pull back her eyelids and she was bricking it. However, she said that the pain was not that bad. Since she had it done she has suffered from severe dizzy spells virtually everyday since - A month now.

Yes, that was the thing I had to keep on the eye. I wasn't very clear in my description.

I'm an ophthalmologist who specialized in cataract surgery in the US and retired 6 years ago.  I live in BKK part time with my Thai wife of 12 years.   I'm a reader of this forum, and have benefited from the information in it, so I'm happy to contribute to it.

It's true that cataract surgery is one of the most frequent operations done worldwide.  Although it's a difficult operation to do, the frequency with which it's done makes most eye surgeons quite good at it, and thus an easy procedure for the patient. 

To answer the OP's question, there is no reason to have pain during the procedure, and stress can be handled well.  Most patients report that it was "easy".  Your doctor should be able to explain what to expect.  With some variation, all surgeons do the procedure in a similar way.  Depending on your surgeon's preferences, you may not experience what others on this forum have described, so talk to your surgeon.  I used to tell my patients that there is about one chance in a thousand of seeing worse after the operation, and nearly a 100% chance of the vision gradually getting worse without surgery, so those are pretty good odds.

18 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, HHTel, I am sure you must be an expert, but each operation took about 30 minutes for me. Of course, as a layman, I consider the time I entered the OR to the time I left it as being the time for the operation.

I was just referring to the time taken to do the operation which is what most people are worried about sitting through whilst awake.  The actual op shouldn't take more than 10 mins as stated by a number of ophthalmologists.  You can see the actual op on youtube in real time and in some cases as short as 5 mins.  The preparation obviously takes some time and if you factor in that then of course it's much longer. 

On 3/1/2017 at 4:53 PM, leggo said:

The best guy is the doctor at the Pattaya Eye Clinic/hospital - he's online and he operates from a hospital in Bangkok. He's very reasonable pricewise and and a real professional - I saw him twice and he fixed me up a treat . No bullshit or trying to ramp up the prices. He's one of those good honest doctors who works for himself . DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR A CERTAIN LARGE GROUP OF HOSPITALS THAT ARE IN RAYONG AND PATTAYA - You'll have to work out who but they are a complete rip off and tried to charge nearly ten times what Pattaya Eye Clinic charged me in the end!

I disagree. Totally! 

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I was just referring to the time taken to do the operation which is what most people are worried about sitting through whilst awake.  The actual op shouldn't take more than 10 mins as stated by a number of ophthalmologists.  You can see the actual op on youtube in real time and in some cases as short as 5 mins.  The preparation obviously takes some time and if you factor in that then of course it's much longer. 

Well, to me, actual op time is the time I am in the OR. 

11 hours ago, James2020 said:

I'm an ophthalmologist who specialized in cataract surgery in the US and retired 6 years ago.  I live in BKK part time with my Thai wife of 12 years.   I'm a reader of this forum, and have benefited from the information in it, so I'm happy to contribute to it.

It's true that cataract surgery is one of the most frequent operations done worldwide.  Although it's a difficult operation to do, the frequency with which it's done makes most eye surgeons quite good at it, and thus an easy procedure for the patient. 

To answer the OP's question, there is no reason to have pain during the procedure, and stress can be handled well.  Most patients report that it was "easy".  Your doctor should be able to explain what to expect.  With some variation, all surgeons do the procedure in a similar way.  Depending on your surgeon's preferences, you may not experience what others on this forum have described, so talk to your surgeon.  I used to tell my patients that there is about one chance in a thousand of seeing worse after the operation, and nearly a 100% chance of the vision gradually getting worse without surgery, so those are pretty good odds.

I would definitely want to be knocked out when they operate on my eye.     Being awake and conscious for that ? ?  

No thanks ! !   I would freak out !     I would rather be awake for open heart surgery.  

Archived