Touring Thailand with a DJI drone

rideswings

Im traveling to Thailand and would like to know if anyone has brought their drone with them to Thailand while on vacation. My drone weighs less than around 1kg (1.62 pounds) and I just want to make sure Im not going to run into problems at customs and immigration.

Its very possible there are updates, try Mr.Google too, I don't see anything more recent and you would be wise to investigate further.

That said, knowing Thailand and how individuals can act/react. I wouldnt risk it.

Ultimately, its the guy wearing the uniform, and what he thinks is right or not.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Its very possible there are updates, try Mr.Google too, I don't see anything more recent and you would be wise to investigate further.

That said, knowing Thailand and how individuals can act/react. I wouldnt risk it.

Ultimately, its the guy wearing the uniform, and what he thinks is right or not.

I tried googling before my post, and all I got was that it was not illegal, but youre right, its up to the guy/lady in the brown suit to determine that. I was just asking if anyone else had recently entered, toured, and left with a small drone.

From what I can find the "barrow" article is referenced heavily and it would seem its drones with cameras that are generally the issue, so commercial use with a camera would require permits/licences etc. for sure.

If your unit/drone has a camera I would say its whether or not the guy who stops you believes what you tell him or not, are you willing to take that risk ?

This may be of interest/use also: https://www.dronejobs.org/drone-laws-in-thailand

i brought my Phantom 4 in to Thailand 4 months ago , no problem. But i did not get stopped, from customs.

I been around Thailand with the drone ,no Problem. Steh away from Airports, max high 100 m and so on. 

there is a dji Shop in Bangkok /phantomthailand.com maybe you mail them and ask. 

55 minutes ago, malt25 said:

You don't think there's enough to do in LOS while on vacation without playing with your drone ?

Just wondering.

Many people on vacation like to take pictures of their tour so they retain memories long after the experience.

Cameras on drones give a different, spectacular view of places visited.

Currently if the drone has a camera then you as a resident need a licence from the Thai Civil Aviation Department and third party liability insurance (3,000b - 4600b) as a tourist they don't seem to have implemented any rules reference licence etc. Just be mindful of where you fly. Obviously places like the Royal Palace are out of bounds, also public parks etc.

Not illegal yet.  They are openly sold in stores.  You have restrictions where you can and how you can fly it, Airports & Temples for example.  If some one "complains" then you will be talking to the Police and it's up to their discretion as to what action will be taken.  That's what I was told last year (December) by a Regional Thai Commander of the Tour Police when the subject came up at a community gathering in Korat.  But as we all know what's good in one providence does not apply in another.

What happened to that Russian tossed in jail last month for feeding the fish?  How long was he (has he been) locked up?  Is he out yet?

I only ask here because that was a common activity, too.  Just like people flying drones...

EDIT: To the point:  Is it worth risking your holiday?

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some pretty exhaustive research and I have successfully made it to Thailand with my drone with no hassles along the way whatsoever.

I have brought with me printed copies of the Thai laws regarding drones written in Thai so I can show to anyone of authority who has questions as to my eligibility to fly my drone in the country. Of course I'm always respectful even at home of where I fly and how I fly.