First time driver tips

kevtheblue

Hi May this year will be my first time driving in Thailand {20 years driving in the UK }.I will be driving from Bangkok airport to Wichian buri,Anybody have any tips   doo`s n dont`s.

thanks kevin

Keep your cool and try to keep up. Be ready to brake, and don't change lanes. Remember that motorbikes are not 'road traffic' they just use the roads. Taxis fall into this catagory also because they all learned to drive on a motorbike, incidentally so do many drivers of private cars!
So it will seem to you that the first rule for some of the Thais is "Me first" so give way, they may hit you just make sure that you don't hit them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

Keep your cool and try to keep up. Be ready to brake, and don't change lanes. Remember that motorbikes are not 'road traffic' they just use the roads. Taxis fall into this catagory also because they all learned to drive on a motorbike, incidentally so do many drivers of private cars!
So it will seem to you that the first rule for some of the Thais is "Me first" so give way, they may hit you just make sure that you don't hit them.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Also don't try and undertake on the bend of a slip road  ...:sad:

Your nearside mirror is your best friend as overtaking on the inside here is unfortunately quite normal. Thailand is awash with m/cycles and they pull out of turnings without looking, unfortunately quite normal. If someone flashes their headlights it is the opposite to the UK, it means THEY are coming through. At traffic lights it is normal for folk to jump a red light, unfortunately quite normal, so take your time and look left and right even on your green light.