Exclusive - Trump administration has found only $20 mln in existing funds for wall: document

webfact

Exclusive - Trump administration has found only $20 mln in existing funds for wall: document

By Julia Edwards Ainsley

REUTERS

r4.jpg

A view of a section of the U.S.-Mexico border fence at El Paso, U.S. opposite the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico February 2, 2017. Picture taken from the Mexico side of the U.S.-Mexico border. REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump’s promise to use existing funds to begin immediate construction of a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border has hit a financial roadblock, according to a document seen by Reuters.

The rapid start of construction, promised throughout Trump's campaign and in an executive order issued in January on border security, was to be financed, according to the White House, with "existing funds and resources" of the Department of Homeland Security.

But so far, the DHS has identified only $20 million that can be re-directed to the multi-billion-dollar project, according to a document prepared by the agency and distributed to congressional budget staff last week.

The document said the funds would be enough to cover a handful of contracts for wall prototypes, but not enough to begin construction of an actual barrier. This means that for the wall to move forward, the White House will need to convince Congress to appropriate funds.

An internal report, previously reported by Reuters, estimated that fully walling off or fencing the entire southern border would cost $21.6 billion - $9.3 million per mile of fence and $17.8 million per mile of wall.

DHS officials did not respond to a request for comment on this story.

Trump has said he will ask Congress to pay for what existing funds cannot cover and that Mexico will be pressured to pay back U.S. taxpayers at a later date.

Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan has said he will include funding for a border wall in the budget for next fiscal year. He has estimated the cost to be between $12 billion and $15 billion.

Many Republican lawmakers have said they would vote against a plan that does not offset the cost of the wall with spending cuts.

In the document it submitted to Congress, the DHS said it would reallocate $5 million from a fence project in Naco, Arizona, that came in under budget and $15 million from a project to install cameras on top of trucks at the border.

The surveillance project was awarded to Virginia-based Tactical Micro, but was held up due to protests from other contractors, according to the DHS document. Tactical Micro could not be reached for comment.

The DHS only searched for extra funds within its $376 million budget for border security fencing, infrastructure and technology, so it would not have to ask for congressional approval to repurpose funding, according to the document.

Contractors cannot begin bidding to develop prototypes until March 6 but more than 265 businesses already have listed themselves as "interested parties" on a government web site.

Those interested range from small businesses to large government contractors such as Raytheon.

(Reporting by Julia Edwards Ainsley; Editing by Sue Horton and Bill Trott)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-02

"The rapid start of construction, promised throughout Trump's campaign and in an executive order issued in January on border security, was to be financed, according to the White House, with "existing funds and resources" of the Department of Homeland Security."

"But so far, the DHS has identified only $20 million that can be re-directed to the multi-billion-dollar project,

according to a document prepared by the agency and distributed to congressional budget staff last week."

:cheesy:

Donald Trump: The Elmer Fudd of Presidents.

And of course, the record holder of LIES and B.S.

Edited by iReason

This has been my prediction all along.  Trump is long with speeches on what he'll do, and short on details of how they will happen. 

He's no longer a CEO who can do what he wants.  He's got a divided congress to deal with, and a divided republican party.  I predict a lot of stalled projects coming up.  Just like his aborted immigration ban.

26 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This has been my prediction all along.  Trump is long with speeches on what he'll do, and short on details of how they will happen. 

He's no longer a CEO who can do what he wants.  He's got a divided congress to deal with, and a divided republican party.  I predict a lot of stalled projects coming up.  Just like his aborted immigration ban.

"He's no longer a CEO" .....who can borrow borrow borrow and avoid paying back.  Oh wait, maybe he is.

2 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

For those, who might want to see Sanders response on the last Trump speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eK-5ivYb3o

Good to hold Trump's feet to the fire and at the same time, recognize politicians and their campaign rhetoric typically do a nose dive once they get into the Oval Office.  

Otherwise, what I saw here is Bernie projecting HIS campaign agenda and left-turn ideas onto Trump.   Bernie, you lost mate, doesn't work like that. 

Trump seems to be following the typical path.  Flurry of energy and activity at first, a couple years of BLAH, then 11th hour flailing around near the end.

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Good to hold Trump's feet to the fire and at the same time, recognize politicians and their campaign rhetoric typically do a nose dive once they get into the Oval Office.  

Otherwise, what I saw here is Bernie projecting HIS campaign agenda and left-turn ideas onto Trump.   Bernie, you lost mate, doesn't work like that. 

Trump seems to be following the typical path.  Flurry of energy and activity at first, a couple years of BLAH, then 11th hour flailing around near the end.

He's certainly following a typical Republican path. Get the electorate worked up on emotional issues like jobs and pay that you have no real solutions for, but then deliver tax cuts and deregulation to the wealthy and powerful.

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

He's certainly following a typical Republican path. Get the electorate worked up on emotional issues like jobs and pay that you have no real solutions for, but then deliver tax cuts and deregulation to the wealthy and powerful.

Pretty much what he said he was going to do, right? 

6 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

"He's no longer a CEO" .....who can borrow borrow borrow and avoid paying back.  Oh wait, maybe he is.

Just watch the Donald will really bounce the 20 TRILLION deficit to new highs. Obama will look like a piker after 4 years. 

I suggest Trump send a delegation to Mexico to hire cheap labor to do the work. Oh wait he wants to create "quality" jobs for Americans. Maybe like in Thailand if he used 51% American labor and 49% Mexican labor it will fly under the radar. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But so far, the DHS has identified only $20 million that can be re-directed to the multi-billion-dollar project

That means that DHS will be redirecting committed funds from other planned expenditures. Not wonder that it refused to go into details.

Currently DHS is understaffed for funded new hires and additional computer tracking for new applicants

. http://www.govexec.com/defense/2016/11/homeland-security-still-slow-staff-law-enforcement-watchdog-finds/133011/?oref=relatedstories

New agents means additional support equipment and training. Its funding may also include Mexican citizen informants, contractor services, outside US travel for coordination with Mexican law enforcement, etc.

The government is not allowed to maintain surplus "rainy day" funds. So internal funding must necessarily come from "pull-back" of current funded programs. There may also be a requirement that such funding cannot be used for a different purpose. Thus, to use DHS funds for the border wall, it must come from other planned construction projects, ie., roads, training centers, gate security, office additions - in effect adding new security while potentially losing security.

People generally fall into two categories on Mr Trump.

Those who don't believe he's going to do what he says and make fun.

And those who cant get over it when he does.

I can see this is going to go the same way.

3 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Not exactly.  There are many different categories.  Some love him, some hate him, some hopes he delivers what he promises (but don't love him), etc.

So far, he's accomplished very little.  But has created chaos.  He seems to be very good at the latter.  I wish him the best of luck.  But the odds of him being successful right now are not that high.  Sadly.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/

6 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Far more complex than that as craigt3365 says.  One category would be those who do not believe he has a clue as to how to fulfil those promises he made.  I think this current situation certainly ticks one of their boxes.

9 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Mean while in Mexico sales are going up on TBM's   :wink:

http://www.therobbinscompany.com/en/our-products/tunnel-boring-machines/

Wow! You can do 150 meters per week !

I bet sales are also going up for; ladders, grappling hooks, rope, plane tickets, flotation devices (work well for the Rio Grande), large balloons, and rowboats which can take a 200 meter trip around either end of the wall:  Pacific or Gulf of Mexico.  

Trump's Wall is a stupid idea for too many reasons to list here.  Where are his tax returns?  

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

What category am I in?  I've known about Trump for decades.  The whole time, I've known he's a bullshitting shyster.  The only difference now is, he can do a whole lot more damage as president.  ....a lot more damage than just.....

>>>>   kicking poor tenants out of rent-control apartments or

>>>>  not  paying hundreds of contractors for work done on his projects, or

>>>>  sending Trump investors to the poor house for believing his lies about Taj Mahal and other failed Trump businesses, 

....... the list goes on and on....

No, now he's poised to do grave damage to the natural environment, Americans and others overseas. 

11 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I can hear some fake news coming and a rebuttal, he didn't really want to build a wall,he was misquoted by the aggressive press

He said he was going to build a ball. a tremendous wonderful ball

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

What category am I in?  I've known about Trump for decades.  The whole time, I've known he's a bullshitting shyster.  The only difference now is, he can do a whole lot more damage as president.  ....a lot more damage than just.....

>>>>   kicking poor tenants out of rent-control apartments or

>>>>  not  paying hundreds of contractors for work done on his projects, or

>>>>  sending Trump investors to the poor house for believing his lies about Taj Mahal and other failed Trump businesses, 

....... the list goes on and on....

No, now he's poised to do grave damage to the natural environment, Americans and others overseas. 

Well, a majority of the electoral college seats don't agree with you. So welcome to continue yapping for the next 8 years

Just now, JHolmesJr said:

What has he done?

Other than throw a bunch of women out of the country.

I at least expected a "tremendous" presentation with mug shots of tattooed gangsters and rap sheets from the huckster in chief.

Alas, it was all more hot air. 

Smoke and mirrors to obscure his failings and his administration's dealings with the Enemy of the People; Russia.