1,000 Thai hospitals play clip to promote HIV zero discrimation

snoop1130

1,000 Thai hospitals play clip to promote HIV zero discrimation

By The Nation

Up to 1,000 hospitals in Thailand are now showing a video clip to promote zero discrimination in healthcare settings.  A survey of 1600 Thai healthcare workers showed that more than 60% of workers feared an HIV infection while performing routine tasks and 90% admitted to at least one stigmatizing attitude. 

The clip for the zero-discrimination campaign is playing at waiting rooms, revealing how some people with HIV have overcome discrimination thanks to support from their communities. The video also features a short message from UNAIDS National Goodwill Ambassador for Thailand Chalatit Tantiwut, who in his own right a famous singer. 

“Discriminating against anybody for any reason is always out of bounds,” Chalatit said, “Making music is what I do best and I think it’s my duty to contribute to society and make some noise about zero discrimination.”

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30307726

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-2

I'm 69 years of age, have lived in Prague, Czech Republic,  San Jose Costa Rica for 11 years, in Thailand for 11 years and 1 year in DaNang, Vietnam. I'm ex U.S. Military and visited over 45 countries.

I never heard of a friend or a friend of a friend coming down with aids. 

My family doctor in San Jose, Costa Rica had a practice for 21 years  in the private hospital, Clinica Biblical.  He told me he never had an AIDS patient. His office is approximately six blocks from the infamous Del Rey hotel.  Some have alleged that Costa Rica and said hotel were the number one sex destinations in the world for many years.

I'm aware that AIDS patients consist primarily of drug users and homosexuals.

However, in my opinion most should be more concerned about walking acoss a busy street, and cancer.   I feel there is way too much talk and fear from the media about aids.

Edited by Kabula

I am a mid 30s guy and have been living in Thailand for 10 years and 2 years i found out i have HIV. I am not a drug user or a homosexual i caught HIV from my soon to be ex-wife who was living with HIV knowingly but she never disclosed this to me or was receiving treatment for it at the time. She became really sick 2 years ago and after some tests at the hospital she "discovered" she had the virus. Only later on after a few alarm bells that i found out she knew all along.

I go to the city Hospital to receive my medication and the staff are very helpful although the lack of English can cause a issue and my lack of Thai does not contribute to this factor. The only discrimination i ever feel living in North East Thailand is the one of being a white guy when i go to the Hospital. The HIV patients all go to the same clinic so everybody is in the same situation but the looks that i get from fellow patients are alarming.

In the last 4-5 years HIV medication has become so advanced and with tests that have been carried out globally over numerous patients and years I can safely say that i can and will lead a "normal" life and that the chances of infecting somebody else EVEN without contraception are 0% as long as my current HIV status remains the same.

There is a stigma attached to HIV that without a good knowledge of education & understanding the virus will always be there I am afraid to say .