Police Clearance Check

Good evening,

I need to get a police clearance check from Thailand from when I was living there in 2013 (10 months) and am currently residing in Vietnam.

Has anyone got experience of doing this and the best way to go about it? I have looked into the requirements from this website http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/ (which seems to be out of order), one of which is  "Document(s) stating that the applicant is used to work or live in Thailand " I don't have any evidence of this besides visa stamps in my passport,  from experience is that sufficient?

Many thanks and any advice would be much appreciated

I'm just curious why do you need a police background check from Thailand?  Are you a Thai citizen?  I don't know what you're situation is but if you're trying to apply for a retirement visa I think you'd probably need a background check from your home country but I don't know what your situation is.  

If you actually do need a background check from Thailand since you're currently residing in Vietnam I would recommend calling a police station in Thailand and ask them what the process is and if there's anything they can do to help you since you're not currently in Thailand.  

If you've been living in Thailand and you want to get visas or residency in other countries (not your home country) it's quite common for it to be required to provide a police clearance report from Thailand. I've looked into moving to some Latin American nations and they all require that, but they are extremely specific, demanding the documents be apostled and with a time limit. Going to the local police station would not begin to cut it. 

Edited by Jingthing

I'm in Thailand on a non-o marriage visa but before we first moved here after I retired I was considering working here and I had to provide a United States Federal Background Check from the national US NCIC before I left the United States which I did.  Although my pension ended up being a lot more than I ever expected to be paid so here in Thailand I don't need a job so when I got here I turned down the job that I had already been hired for.  So now I'm totally 100% retired and free.  Thankfully the Thai Consulate in New York gave me a marriage visa instead of a work visa only because I didn't have sufficient paper work from the employer that I had been hired by.  So it all just kind of worked out for the best by accident.  

Although I do remember reading somewhere that if you're transferring your visa to a retirement visa and if you have been living in Thailand for enough years that a Thai background check is sufficient but I don't know how reliable that information is so you should probably call Thai Immigration or a Thai police station and ask them.  

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you've been living in Thailand and you want to get visas or residency in other countries (not your home country) it's quite common for it to be required to provide a police clearance report from Thailand. I've looked into moving to some Latin American nations and they all require that, but they are extremely specific, demanding the documents be apostled and with a time limit. Going to the local police station would not begin to cut it. 

That's true I remember I had to provide a national federal background check covering the whole country before I left the states.  It had to come from the United States NCIC, basically an FBI background check of your entire criminal history.  I remember every little speeding ticket I'd ever gotten popped up on mine but stuff like that doesn't effect you.  I think they're just looking for stuff like major felonies or outstanding arrest warrants stuff like that.  I also remember that I had to provide them with the sealed copy of my NCIC background check in the original envelope.  Out of curiosity I ordered an extra copy for myself to open, and it would be almost impossible to falsify it regardless unless you are like a super expert in forgery because of the water mark on the type of paper it's printed on.  The special type of paper the original copy of the background check is printed on is literally treated like currency by the U.S. government.  To even attempt to alter it would be equivalent to counterfeiting or would probably be considered falsifying a government document or something.  Still I remember they wanted the original copy in it's original sealed envelope.  Probably because not every country is as careful about securing sensitive documents as the United States is.  They wanted it in it's original sealed envelope I guess so they know for sure that the document hasn't been altered in anyway.  Nowadays official government documents like that are a lot better protected than they were in the past.  

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh you're talking specifically about a police clearance from Thailand that's not something I've ever needed before.  I was only required to provide one from my home country but that was when I originally came here.  I've never wanted any long term visas for any other country from here in Thailand so I honestly don't know how that works.  I guess you'd have to ask a Thai Police Station or probably better yet the immigration office of the country you're seeking a visa for and find out specifically what they want and then find out what government office in Thailand provides it.  If I had to guess I'd say maybe the DSI maybe.  I think the DSI is like Thailand's version of the FBI or the UK's MI-5.  I don't know it's probably got to be a pretty high level official.  Although I'm sure you could probably just get finger printed at a local police station for a national background check.  That's how I got mine done in the states.  I got my finger prints done at my local police station and then I sent them to the NCIC along with a check for their required fee and they eventually sent me back 2 requested copies of my national criminal background check.  I don't know how you would go about getting one in Thailand or any other country from outside the country.  I think you're supposed to take care of all that before leaving.  

19 hours ago, Janeyxx said:

Has anyone got experience of doing this and the best way to go about it? I have looked into the requirements from this website http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/ (which seems to be out of order), one of which is  "Document(s) stating that the applicant is used to work or live in Thailand " I don't have any evidence of this besides visa stamps in my passport,  from experience is that sufficient?

Copies of the pages of with your visas and/or extensions on them will be enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thatduderay said:

I'm sorry I thought the OP was inquiring specifically about a criminal background check.

It will be a background check for Thailand that will be getting from the PCS center which part of the special branch police.

I understand that when you're applying for a Green Card from the U.S. that you're required to have police checks from every place you've lived as an adult for longer than a few months' time.  So we'll be needing that from Thailand - we lived in two different provinces, so I was just starting to look into how that should be done.  Is that the PCS center?  Do they do it nation-wide, rather than province by province?  

5 minutes ago, KayCee said:

I understand that when you're applying for a Green Card from the U.S. that you're required to have police checks from every place you've lived as an adult for longer than a few months' time.  So we'll be needing that from Thailand - we lived in two different provinces, so I was just starting to look into how that should be done.  Is that the PCS center?  Do they do it nation-wide, rather than province by province?  

The PCS center is the only place you can get the police clearance and it is done nationwide.

• Like 1