US Attorney General Jeff Sessions quits Russia probe

webfact

30 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

If you read my post you will notice that the response you posted is unrelated to my statement. 

I did read your post and you said " The facts of this hacking event are likely to not be released for decade".

So, again, did you read the publicly released Intelligence report that revealed facts of this hacking event?

:coffee1:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

what 'hostile nation'?  you think Russia is a 'hostile nation'?  why?  back to the Cold War huh?

Sorry, any credibility you still had was lost writing that post. Now you just sound like an ardent (despite denying being one) Trump supporter who will deny the sky is blue if it helps the man-child.

34 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I think the topic is whether Sessions had conversations with the Russians while part of Trump's campaign.  It now looks that way.  What was discussed has not been divulged yet.  Hard to say what was said as it seems to have been a person to person conversation.

But as was pointed out earlier, this is highly unusual, even for a person in his position.

I think trying to link this to the Russian hacking might be tough...at least right now!

:wai:

It isn't a stretch to believe that the Trump campaign offered Russia sanctions relief in return for the hacking/releasing.

However, despite the rotating door of Trump staffers talking to the Russians, it is unproven.

Which is why an Independent Special Prosecutor needs to be appointed with subpoena powers.

4 minutes ago, Chicog said:

I did read your post and you said " The facts of this hacking event are likely to not be released for decade".
So, again, did you read the publicly released Intelligence report that revealed facts of this hacking event?

:coffee1:

Would be great for you to share the link with the rest of us who cannot seem to locate it.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

It is a violation of federal law for this type of contact.  Probably falls under the Logan Act.  Definitely a crime.  Sure, the dems want to pursue this and the republicans want to brush it under the rug.  It needs to be investigated.  If nothing else, to clear the air.

There is another overlooked Security protocol that applies, no matter the alleged reason for any federal employee to make contact (whether physical or electronic) with agents of a foreign government: 12 FAM 262 Security Awareness and Contact Reporting. https://fam.state.gov/fam/12fam/12fam0260.html#M262

Session admitted he made physical and telephonic contacts with Russian officials with Congressional staff and others as witnesses. Accordingly, he would have been required to write and sign a contact report covering details of the contact. Did Session write any contact reports in his meetings and calls with the Russians? If he had followed regulations (which he would be aware of as a member of the Armed Services Committee), a record of his contacts would have been available to senate members concerning his nomination as AG.

Obviously, given Sessions denial of any contact with the Russians during the Presidential election up to his nomination for AG and the need for him to be asked by Senator Franken about making such contacts, Sessions did not file a contact report.

While regulations are not laws per se, avoidance to disclose contacts with foreign powers makes Session's lie before Congress more imperative.

2 minutes ago, Becker said:

Sorry, any credibility you still had was lost writing that post. Now you just sound like an ardent (despite denying being one) Trump supporter who will deny the sky is blue if it helps the man-child.

i will resist replying except to say I am pro-choice, pro cannabis and a member of Britain's Labour Party and you, sir, have mis-understood my points but I do not wish to put my TV account in jeopardy by fully replying - thank you 

Just now, Ramen087 said:

So... you don't have it handy. Convenient.

Same for you ... if you bothered reading the thread you will have seen that I already posted it.

Perhaps you should pay more attention.

The fact is that senior members of Trumps "team" colluded with senior Russians while the Obama administration was still in place. The fact that the Obama administration was applying pressure to the Russians by way of additional sanctions exacerbates the situation. This can not be ignored. In my opinion these activities are treasonous.

Now, ultimately, there is no reason why Russia and America can not get together if only to hold back the Muslim hoards! However, I don't see Putin and Trump as suitable bedfellows.

2 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Same for you ... if you bothered reading the thread you will have seen that I already posted it.
Perhaps you should pay more attention.

Not a lot of facts, if any in any previous link.  I thought you had something different.  The other releases were never specific.  "It was the Russians", was all it amounted to.  How it was the Russians is never addressed.  You trust that?  If the political parties were swapped, Dems

be passing on it, or pissing on it  Same <deleted>, different day... .  

8 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

i will resist replying except to say I am pro-choice, pro cannabis and a member of Britain's Labour Party and you, sir, have mis-understood my points but I do not wish to put my TV account in jeopardy by fully replying - thank you 

Stoner members of the Labour Party have certainly a lot to contribute to this discussion :stoner:

19 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Not a lot of facts, if any in any previous link.  I thought you had something different.  The other releases were never specific.  "It was the Russians", was all it amounted to.  How it was the Russians is never addressed.  You trust that?  If the political parties were swapped, Dems

be passing on it, or pissing on it  Same <deleted>, different day... .  

Now you're just waffling.

Their initial statement was unequivocal:

The U.S. Intelligence Community (USIC) is confident that the Russian Government directed the recent compromises of e-mails from US persons and institutions, including from US political organizations. The recent disclosures of alleged hacked e-mails on sites like DCLeaks.com and WikiLeaks and by the Guccifer 2.0 online persona are consistent with the methods and motivations of Russian-directed efforts. These thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the US election process. 

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/10/07/joint-statement-department-homeland-security-and-office-director-national

The hits keep coming.....

Latest news:  VP Pence, for years while governor, used an unsecured AOL email account to conduct official business, some of it dealing with terrorist inside-info.  Already, Trump and his henchmen are doing all they can to try to defuse it.   They've got their hands full, like Dutch boy Hans Brinker trying to keep the dyke from breaching by putting a finger in a leaky hole.   Except now Trump, the pussy grabber, needs 3000 fingers, because there are so many leaky holes in the dyke.  Trump has been making war with the press corps, with Democrats, with the CIA, FBI, and everyone else who doesn't bow at his feet.   Instant Karma time.  Brace for the deluge.  I'm going to enjoy it.

4 minutes ago, Chicog said:

No, not waffling.  Their statement requires faith.  Not good enough for me given the history of US Intelligence Services and press releases. 

I'm sure most diplomats could be considered spies, to a certain degree.  But the allegations are flying now.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/02/politics/russia-kislyak-spy-claim-sessions/index.html

Jeff Sessions controversy: Russia denies its US ambassador is a spy

CNN reported Wednesday that Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak is considered by US intelligence to be one of Russia's top spies and spy-recruiters in Washington, citing current and former senior US government officials.

Doesn't look good for Sessions or those who helped him prep for that confirmation hearing.  If they coached him on this, they're toast.

Draining the swamp?  That will be the Trump swamp then.  Every day we wake up to new revelations about Trump's fiasco. It staggers on and on but does anyone seriously think this is any way to run a country?  What next I wonder... couldn't be Mike Pence using a private email address for state business and getting hacked?  Surely not that!

13 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Draining the swamp?  That will be the Trump swamp then.  Every day we wake up to new revelations about Trump's fiasco. It staggers on and on but does anyone seriously think this is any way to run a country?  What next I wonder... couldn't be Mike Pence using a private email address for state business and getting hacked?  Surely not that!

In light of the recent revelations regarding a previous Secretary of State, any US Federal Gov't Official using private email for official business is...bizarre.  

Edited by Ramen087

2 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

In light of the recent revelations regarding a previous Secretary of State, any US Federal Gov't Official using private email for official business is...bizarre.  

To be fair it was when Pence was governor of Indiana and not in his current role and on it's own it is very small beer. Just funny given how Trump (with a little help from his friends) made so much out of Clintons email issue.

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

To be fair it was when Pence was governor of Indiana and not in his current role and on it's own it is very small beer. Just funny given how Trump (with a little help from his friends) made so much out of Clintons email issue.

Interesting use of words, "....very small beer."

Note: in the breaking story about Pence using AOL, there are allegations that Pence had email discussions re; suspected terrorists and/or terrorist activity.  

Now, I'm waiting for Christie, Guilliani, Trump and that whole ugly lot of old geezers to stand up in front of crowds and chant into microphones; "LOCK HIM UP ! LOCK HIM UP. LOCK HIM UP!"

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I'm sure most diplomats could be considered spies, to a certain degree.  But the allegations are flying now.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/02/politics/russia-kislyak-spy-claim-sessions/index.html

Doesn't look good for Sessions or those who helped him prep for that confirmation hearing.  If they coached him on this, they're toast.

There are some other events that do not favor Session's "faulty" response to Sen. Franken's nomination hearing question:

- Prior to Session's nomination hearing he was given a list of questions to respond to in writing for the hearing. On the question of whether he or anyone in Trump's campaign committee had any contact with Russia prior to election day Sessions said simply "No."

- Session had two weeks to correct his nomination testimony as per senate rules but he didn't.

- Except for Session's meeting with the Russian ambassador in his DC congressional office, his other meetings out of town were financed by Trump's campaign. Session was, therefor, not acting in his capacity as a Senator wherein travel would have been financed by the US government but in the capacity as a Trump election committee member.

It's also notable that in all the confirmation hearings, it's only Democrat committee members who ask tough questions.  Republicans just sally along like ducklings, grinning at knowing they're in the majority, and not caring a whit at contributing to the demise of the USA.

55 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

It's also notable that in all the confirmation hearings, it's only Democrat committee members who ask tough questions.  Republicans just sally along like ducklings, grinning at knowing they're in the majority, and not caring a whit at contributing to the demise of the USA.

Not strictly true.

I thought Rubio gave Tillerson a very hard time considering.

19 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

I don't believe he did - it was just a chat with the Ambassador not really considered a 'contact'.  Dems are just bleating because they lost the election so they pick away at trivia

His chat was in violation of a number of laws/regulations and he lied about it.   Compare this situation with the dust-up over Bill Clinton's conversation with Loretta Lynch.   

Turnabout's fair play.   

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/02/politics/russia-donald-trump-meetings-ambassador/index.html

More Trump advisers disclose meetings with Russia's ambassador

President Donald Trump's senior aide Jared Kushner and ousted adviser Michael Flynn met with the Russian ambassador to the United States at a time when the Trump administration's relationship with the Russians was under close scrutiny.

Kushner and Flynn sat down in December at Trump Tower with Sergey Kislyak, according to a senior administration official, who described it as an "introductory meeting" and "kind of an inconsequential hello."

Another national security adviser to the Trump campaign, J.D. Gordon, also disclosed Thursday that he had met with Kislyak, this time during the Republican National Convention in Cleveland in July. That meeting was first reported by USA Today.

The plot thickens.  Kudos to the free press for bringing these things to light.  We have a right to know.