POLL: Men, how do you like your beef steak done?

Jingthing

POLL: Men, how do you like your beef steak done?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Have been fortunate to travel to

may countries on business...Peter

Luger's NYC....best steak you  will

ever eat!!!   Google!!

Will they have a cow if you ask for it very well done and smothered in ketchup? :coffee1:

Happy to see the "correct" answer is winning -- MEDIUM RARE. 

Isn't that the way any good chef would cook it anyway if you didn't ask? 

Edited by Jingthing

Medium to well done. NO blood but not burnt either.

Steak should be "mature" before cooking (the darker the meat leads to tender eating) and foil wrapped for 5 mins after cooking.

But the "best" is what you enjoy!

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry you either don't get it or don't want to get it. Just move to another thread. This is for entertainment purposes anyway. 

Oh I get it alright and thanks but as it's a public forum I think I'll keep looking and posting on whatever thread I like to if that's OK with you. If not tough. For entertainment purposes of course.

Edited by Gonefortea

6 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Oh I get it alright and thanks but as it's a public forum I think I'll keep looking and posting on whatever thread I like to if that's OK with you. If not tough. For entertainment purposes of course.

Sure. OK. I'm not surprised there is some objection to a sex segregated poll. Goes with the territory of starting any poll. There are always heckles  trashing the structure of ANY poll regardless of how well justified it is.  

Edited by Jingthing

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Will they have a cow if you ask for it very well done and smothered in ketchup? :coffee1:

Happy to see the "correct" answer is winning -- MEDIUM RARE. 

Isn't that the way any good chef would cook it anyway if you didn't ask? 

No GOOD steak restaurant will cook a steak well done....their

usual response is..." we pay to much for the best steaks possible

to ruin them".   

1 minute ago, little mary sunshine said:

No GOOD steak restaurant will cook a steak well done....their

usual response is..." we pay to much for the best steaks possible

to ruin them".   

Not disputing that's the way it should be but the customer is always right. If customer wants it burnt that's there choice there paying. Can't see even a good restaurant turning money away.

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure. OK. I'm not surprised there is some objection to a sex segregated poll. Goes with the territory of starting any poll. There are always heckles  trashing the structure of ANY poll regardless of how well justified it is.  

Yes I know

11 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Not disputing that's the way it should be but the customer is always right. If customer wants it burnt that's there choice there paying. Can't see even a good restaurant turning money away.

Perhaps a good customer....if they absolutely insist....Yes, the customer

is usually is right;   they can also choose to dine at another restaurant.

15 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Visit just one abattoir and I would be surprised if you ever wanted to eat any kind of meat ever again.

Probably true so I won't be going. My steak comes from the restaurant kitchen! I don't want to know more. 

17 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Visit just one abattoir and I would be surprised if you ever wanted to eat any kind of meat ever again.

Having slaughtered my own animals  in the past I doubt anything I would see at an abattoir would put me off eating that sweet meat.

2 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Grilling gives a better visual assessment - oil confuses it.

Grill 2-3 minutes on a hot grill both sides, then flip back to the first side grilled. Watch the steak surface - when it starts to sweat, remove and rest for ten minutes. Result will be slightly less pink than shown.

The grill must be hot to seal the flavour in.

Actually your technique is correct and the way i cook some of my steaks. As a Molecular chef it doesn't matter if your pan is hot or cold, with oil vs. no oil, with salt no salt...etc.

It's the technique.......

I can get the same results in a cold pan if you know HOW TO COOK.

3 hours ago, gamini said:

I sent my steak back three times at the Dorchester hotel in Park Lane ,London. I had asked for it very, very rare.

The British have a different way of classifying steaks. For them, very rare means medium rare, medium rare means medium and medium means well done. It seems much the same here, I find it very hard indeed to get a very rare steak here. I love steak tartare (raw)  or Italian style ( carpachio?)raw. Marcos in Chiangmai does the latter beautifully. But on the whole I'm a bit wary of eating raw steak here. 

Why didn't you order it Bleu? If you don't know how to order your steak properly then don't blame the dorchester.......their Africans anyways cooking your food.

41 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Perhaps a good customer....if they absolutely insist....Yes, the customer

is usually is right;   they can also choose to dine at another restaurant.

No you dont quite get it. If you owned a restraunt and an order came in for 12 well cooked ( burnt) sreaks would you wander over and say sorry you will have to go elsewhere to eat as we only cook them to our specifications? Thus losing upwards of maybe 150 quid? Or whatever your currency is. I think not. I would say yes sir 12 well cooked (burnt) steaks would you like the wine menu

Personally I like it Blue but it must be goog quality meat, not frozen. A well marbled Sirloin Scottish for me personally. It should be cooked just long enough to kill any bacteria on the outside but still remain uncooked inside, as others have said resting is important. This also makes an excellent Yum neua. Until we retired two years ago  we owned a restaurant in Scotland and if anyone wanted steak burned to a crisp who am I to force my personal tastes on them. 

26 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

No you dont quite get it. If you owned a restraunt and an order came in for 12 well cooked ( burnt) sreaks would you wander over and say sorry you will have to go elsewhere to eat as we only cook them to our specifications? Thus losing upwards of maybe 150 quid? Or whatever your currency is. I think not. I would say yes sir 12 well cooked (burnt) steaks would you like the wine menu

No, you apparently don't get it....The finer restaurants would

rather lose THAT CUSTOMER and maintain their standard of

escellence.   They are always booked!

Blue, with a mouthful of a good Burgundy.As said, its hard to find a chef with the knowledge of how to prepare a real blue steak.Rump is not best eaten blue, but a good fillet, or even a t bone is very acceptable.Crusty bread often goes down well.i went to koh Chang lst month.stopped for a steak in the best restaurant in White sands. Asked for a blue steak.It came back cold and spongy.never again.It wasn't cheap.The red wine was cold.very disappointed.They have a lot to learn about  Beef.

On 3/4/2017 at 1:58 PM, CharlieH said:

To cook your steaks, heat a frying pan – to a moderate heat for fillet, hot for T-bone or very hot for rib-eye. Add a swirl of oil, with a whole garlic clove and a herb sprig. Season thesteaks with salt and pepper and cook for 1½-2½ mins on each side.

steak.jpg

you lost me at frying pan

On 3/4/2017 at 1:59 PM, sipi said:

The only two times I got sick was eating beef. Now I don't chance it.

I'm 72 and eat beef steak regularly, never been sick from it. Sounds like you have a personal problem.

6 hours ago, gamini said:

I sent my steak back three times at the Dorchester hotel in Park Lane ,London. I had asked for it very, very rare.

The British have a different way of classifying steaks. For them, very rare means medium rare, medium rare means medium and medium means well done. It seems much the same here, I find it very hard indeed to get a very rare steak here. I love steak tartare (raw)  or Italian style ( carpachio?)raw. Marcos in Chiangmai does the latter beautifully. But on the whole I'm a bit wary of eating raw steak here. 

what do you expect from people who open a can of baked beans and think they've cooked a good breakfast