Hong Kong investors keen on Thai condos after healthy returns

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, money in the bank is liquid and I do have some money in the bank but it only earns me a few dollars a month in interest.  Some people can play the stock market and do well but not me.  I've done better with real estate in the States and here--and, for me, looking for a good condo to buy is a lot more fun than trying to pick a good stock.  But maybe not for everyone.

but at least there is considerably less risk of someone taking your cash in the bank than someone committing property fraud against you and then the courts failing to rectify the situation as exposed in the story that Jonathan Head from the BBC was trying to report to the world before his passport was taken away.

One of the victims was actually a retired real estate appraiser himself from the UK probably never in his wildest dreams expecting such a flawed judicial system when it comes to property matters.

Edited by Asiantravel

37 minutes ago, Allstars said:

Right you are, below is an example someone who " parked " his money, lets wait and see how that parking turns out.

Rule #1. Don't buy off-plan from a small developer.  If you have to buy off-plan, choose a large, well-financed developer like Sansiri, Lumpini, Supalai, SC Asset, etc.

7 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

but at least there is considerably less risk of someone taking your cash in the bank than someone committing property fraud against you and then the courts failing to rectify the situation as exposed in the story that Jonathan Head from the BBC was trying to expose before his passport was taken away.

As I said, maybe not for everyone.

4 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, money in the bank is liquid and I do have some money in the bank but it only earns me a few dollars a month in interest.  Some people can play the stock market and do well but not me.  I've done better with real estate in the States and here--and, for me, looking for a good condo to buy is a lot more fun than trying to pick a good stock.  But maybe not for everyone.

I agree.. if you can find a bargain condo here you have essentially 'created' a good yield for yourself, as everything will let for the right money

The back up plan for me would be, worse case scenario, I could always live in it myself :smile::smile:

7 hours ago, foxboy said:

I agree.. if you can find a bargain condo here you have essentially 'created' a good yield for yourself, as everything will let for the right money

The back up plan for me would be, worse case scenario, I could always live in it myself :smile::smile:

Yes, always nice to know you have a roof over your head and maintenance fees are so low compared to countries like USA.  Plus, no real estate taxes.

Yes, always nice to know you have a roof over your head and maintenance fees are so low compared to countries like USA.  Plus, no real estate taxes.

And when you sell you split the sales tax 50/50 and if after 5 years you haven't sold then the tax drops again

just curious, these are investors who have actually SOLD their condos and the return is based on the final sale price, not what you think your condo might be worth.

Oh dear. You didn't read any of the article but feel qualified to analyze.

This is not about flipping. Try again

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2560 at 7:12 PM, JDMCanuck said:

Sorry not getting it, Return or Return on Investment (R or ROI) is only going to be healthy (apparently 5%) if:

1. Your Gross income minus Expenses (Management, Condo Fees, Taxes, Cash calls for emergencies and Maintenance Issues) = Net Income  is 5% of your Total Investment. (Even before the current crackdown on short term rentals, 5% would be impossible)

OR:

2. You sell:  and after Total Investment - Total Expenses (thats everything including your taxes in your home country, (EVERYTHING) you have a 5% return , (Inflation , I always love it when people take credit for inflation) but this can only be determined after you sell and compute ALL your expenses. The current crop of western reality TV shows always neglects to include ALL expense, but who knows, maybe this Author did. (Highly unlikely but possible) so each individual sale would have to be analyzed. 

5% returns are not 'impossible' in Thailand--at least not in Pattaya.  5% is not difficult both for condo rentals and condo sales.  I can't speak for houses as I don't buy or rent them.

I think a 5-10% rental return in pattaya is easy to find, but only in the lower end of the condo market, 500k to 1.5 million. A million baht condo can rent for 10k a month, outgoings are minimal.

46 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think a 5-10% rental return in pattaya is easy to find, but only in the lower end of the condo market, 500k to 1.5 million. A million baht condo can rent for 10k a month, outgoings are minimal.

I agree but I think you can do ok with both lower and higher priced condos. Two examples.  First, a new 26sqm Jomtien condo on high floor with seaview on baht taxi line.  Developer was having a sale and paid 1.1MB total including all closing costs and renovation that added things to make it special.  Rented it for 10,000 Baht a month for a year and then sold it privately for 1.65MB in 2016.   Second, a new 35sqm Pattaya condo on high floor with seaview on baht taxi line.  Paid 3MB total including renovation that added things to make it special (developer paid sinking fund and first year's condo maintenance for early closing).  Rented it for about a year at 25,000 Baht a month and sold it last month using an agent for 4.25MB.  A few similarities between the two: high floor, seaview, on baht taxi line, and spending some money to make the condos stand out from the crowd. 

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I agree but I think you can do ok with both lower and higher priced condos. Two examples.  First, a new 26sqm Jomtien condo on high floor with seaview on baht taxi line.  Developer was having a sale and paid 1.1MB total including all closing costs and renovation that added things to make it special.  Rented it for 10,000 Baht a month for a year and then sold it privately for 1.65MB in 2016.   Second, a new 35sqm Pattaya condo on high floor with seaview on baht taxi line.  Paid 3MB total including renovation that added things to make it special (developer paid sinking fund and first year's condo maintenance for early closing).  Rented it for about a year at 25,000 Baht a month and sold it last month using an agent for 4.25MB.  A few similarities between the two: high floor, seaview, on baht taxi line, and spending some money to make the condos stand out from the crowd. 

You need to be careful, people dont like talk of making money or decent returns. Its all doom and gloom, lol